Thinking of buying a welder - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 11-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #271
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Guess my advice only goes so far since i am new to this as well. I was looking to do similar projects as you. Looked around for a few months locally and found a Hobart 140 a guy was selling at a great price. I picked it up for under $200. I leased a tank from a local welding shop for around $90 for six months got a new 10lb spool of wire for twenty bucks and stared welding. I have not got too serious about my projects yet, i do have most of the steel i need to build a nice small jeep trailer waiting in my garage though. For my uses this machine is powerful enough for what i intend to do.

So everything considered i have spent around $500 and am happy with what i have.

Unread 11-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #272
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_p_adams View Post
I'm planning to buy a MIG welder pretty soon here. My budget should be about $1000 but I don't have to spend that much. I'd like to be able to get the machine, tank and probably a cart on the budget. Plans for use include welding brackets on axles, bumpers, other miscellaneous stuff.

Is it worth the extra cost to buy the 210 amp machine over a 180 amp machine? Worth the extra cost for the Miller?
Yes it is worth the cost to get a 210 amp machine over a 180. I went from a MM175 to a Hobart 230 and it is a whole different machine, It welds better for some reason, so much better than the MM175 did.
I can't really explain it but it just does, I am running the same brand of wire and the same bottle of gas that came of the MM175.
I have welded all my control arm brackets on my frame and differentials with the Hobart and I just love this machine.

Miller, ESAB, Lincoln & Hobart make quality machines. Go to your local welding supply and see what machines they have and service and go to a few welding forums and do some reading, hobart & miller have forums and there are others, several of these guys do this welding thing for a living and have a pretty good clue as to what's junk and what's not.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:43 AM   #273
mknight759
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Yes it is worth the cost to get a 210 amp machine over a 180. I went from a MM175 to a Hobart 230 and it is a whole different machine, It welds better for some reason, so much better than the MM175 did.
I can't really explain it but it just does, I am running the same brand of wire and the same bottle of gas that came of the MM175.
I have welded all my control arm brackets on my frame and differentials with the Hobart and I just love this machine.

Miller, ESAB, Lincoln & Hobart make quality machines. Go to your local welding supply and see what machines they have and service and go to a few welding forums and do some reading, hobart & miller have forums and there are others, several of these guys do this welding thing for a living and have a pretty good clue as to what's junk and what's not.

Totally agree get a bigger machine I went from a mm180 to a lincoln power mig 255 & wow its a world of difference I sold my mm180 for 600 & found the big lincoln for 950. Try to find a used one you can gets alot more machine for your money.
mknight759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #274
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight759 View Post
Totally agree get a bigger machine I went from a mm180 to a lincoln power mig 255 & wow its a world of difference I sold my mm180 for 600 & found the big lincoln for 950. Try to find a used one you can gets alot more machine for your money.
It sounds like you both went from light duty to shop duty machines. Is that a possible reason for increased quality? I don't think I can afford a shop duty machine.
jose_p_adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #275
mknight759
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
It sounds like you both went from light duty to shop duty machines. Is that a possible reason for increased quality? I don't think I can afford a shop duty machine.
Well with my mm180 it would bead up on 5/16 with solid wire so the penetration just wasn't there. Which I understand its rated for 5/16 with fluxcore so guessing the solid wire runs a little colder. With this lincoln 255 it will put it in there no problems and only cost me a little more it was kinda hard to turn down.
Unread 11-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #276
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just as mknight759 said, my MM175 would do the same, I needed more horsepower and it works better with thinner materials also, It's weird but if ya haven't experienced it it's hard to understand but well worth the upgrade.
I used that MM175 for 5 years and always thought I would use my stick machine if I needed more power, well I like using a Mig more, it's faster, cleaner & I wanted a new toy with more muscle
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #277
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I'm about ||<-- this close to pulling the trigger on a MM211. Also considered the Hobart 210 but the Miller comes with a few spools of wire and has the multi voltage plugs so I'm leaning that way.
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #278
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The 211 is like 2 welders in one. You won't look back.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #279
mknight759
1986 CJ7 

WHy not go ahead and try to find a little bigger machine used there are several advantages. THe duty cycle increases dramatically no need for a cart they already have wheels on them & A built on bottle rack. THey are around the same price used a miller matic 180 or 211 used will not be that much cheaper than a miller 212 210 or somewere in that range. I own the lincoln 255 great machine. I have used the hobarts & millers they all are very nice and the bigger ones just seem to run better to me. Craigslist is a cheap mans best friend someone out there needs $ and has a nice welder for sale just gotta find him.
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #280
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have considered that option but there are 2 problems. 1. I can't find one locally and 2. I'm Leary of buying used because I'm not a good welder so I wouldn't be really capable of effectively testing it.
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #281
mknight759
1986 CJ7 

You can hold the trigger good enough to see if it works & bigger machines are made to work if it doesn't look beat to he!! its probably fine take it to a welding outfit have it checked out 1st & also some of the bigger machines have a 3yr warranty or so just find 1 still in warranty that way there will be no questions. On that mm211 I heard the man at the welding store telling someone to stay away from that machine its bad news. Its your call there nothing wrong with a hobart 210 linclon 180 Or mm180 they all do fine if used on the smaller stuff in light duty cycles there all good machines. I imagine if you name a machine someone on here owns it someone will love it & someone will hate it. See if you can find a few to demo see which one you like .
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #282
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

To each their own on the size but a 220v 180 amp wirefeed is MORE than enough for any jeep,auto,,around the house fab and welding.

I can and HAVE welded 1/2" and more with it with MIG and Fluxcore and never had a problem with the bead "balling up",it welds smooth as glass,if that happened 1 of 2 reasons it happenned..
1 Not heavy enough an extension cord to supply a good current to the machine.
2 heat settings were way too low..or you was just moving too slow and filling too much.

I've never had a problem with penetration and/or heat on ANYTHING with my Lincoln 180,yea it doesnt compare to the heat difference of the MM252.,lincoln 250,LN-25's.etc.. that i've used over and over in fab shops ......but,i don't think anyone using them around the house or garage needs to run .045,052 or .056 wire either.... they are only needed if someone is going to be using them daily in heavy fabrication.
I've never hit the 30% duty cycle on it either..in order to hit a 30% duty cycle you'll have to weld at max for roughly 10 minutes or more without stopping,i don't weld THAT long at a time welding without a stop even in heavy structural shops,you'd have to walk along with it..lol

The MM211's are GREAT machines and have yet to see or hear anywhere they are "bad machines",that weld supply store 'salesman" was just BS'n someone into buying a more expensive machine to make more money.

I love my 180 for around the house for the fact it is VERY portable and welds ANYTHING needed around here at the house and even used it quite a few times repairing trucks,tractors and miscellanious things for farmers,truckers and local hunting clubs...try lugging a lincoln 225 around for that...
I have a Lincoln 225 ranger on a trailer,when needed i can haul that with my Lincoln 180 in the box with all suplpies needed to a feild or woods to do some repairs if needed and run the 180 off the generator of the Ranger 225 for thinner things such as panels,sheetmetal etc on farm equipment,or a spool gun to weld aluminum for hunting properties reparing tree stands,dog boxes..boats..etc..try luggin one of those bigger machines around for that.

Like i said..to each their own on the size..i use ALL those big industrial professional machines at fab shops all the time and still see no need for one at home unless you use it for a home bussines used daily.

Tha 211 would be an awesome choice in my opinion if you have the money to fork out for a new one.

Try eBay,ALOT of authorised Lincoln,Hobart,ESAB and Miller dealers will start an auction on nice machines for .99 and let the bidders decide how much it's worth.

I got my Lincoln 180 for 500.00 brand new shipped to my door that way from an authorised dealer while others were selling them 600.00+ online and Local Weld Supply Stores and Home Depot and Lowes.

Just my .02

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #283
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You're going to have me talked into a $2,500 welder pretty soon. There was a MM212 for sale around here a few months ago but it is long gone. Mostly what shows up on craigslist are snap on welders. They are all shop duty. Are they any good?
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #284
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You're going to have me talked into a $2,500 welder pretty soon. There was a MM212 for sale around here a few months ago but it is long gone. Mostly what shows up on craigslist are snap on welders. They are all shop duty. Are they any good?
I've never used a Snap-on machine..but for the money you are willing to spend i would totaly stay with the big names..Lincoln,Miller,ESAB and Hobart..Miller and Lincoln being my first choices.

Any of the sears,Snap-Ons,Eastwood,Northern Tools etc machines i've seen n read reviews on are just a remake of big name machines with less inferior parts in them for a lower price

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #285
mknight759
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
To each their own on the size but a 220v 180 amp wirefeed is MORE than enough for any jeep,auto,,around the house fab and welding.

I can and HAVE welded 1/2" and more with it with MIG and Fluxcore and never had a problem with the bead "balling up",it welds smooth as glass,if that happened 1 of 2 reasons it happenned..
1 Not heavy enough an extension cord to supply a good current to the machine.
2 heat settings were way too low..or you was just moving too slow and filling too much.

I've never had a problem with penetration and/or heat on ANYTHING with my Lincoln 180,yea it doesnt compare to the heat difference of the MM252.,lincoln 250,LN-25's.etc.. that i've used over and over in fab shops ......but,i don't think anyone using them around the house or garage needs to run .045,052 or .056 wire either.... they are only needed if someone is going to be using them daily in heavy fabrication.
I've never hit the 30% duty cycle on it either..in order to hit a 30% duty cycle you'll have to weld at max for roughly 10 minutes or more without stopping,i don't weld THAT long at a time welding without a stop even in heavy structural shops,you'd have to walk along with it..lol

The MM211's are GREAT machines and have yet to see or hear anywhere they are "bad machines",that weld supply store 'salesman" was just BS'n someone into buying a more expensive machine to make more money.

I love my 180 for around the house for the fact it is VERY portable and welds ANYTHING needed around here at the house and even used it quite a few times repairing trucks,tractors and miscellanious things for farmers,truckers and local hunting clubs...try lugging a lincoln 225 around for that...
I have a Lincoln 225 ranger on a trailer,when needed i can haul that with my Lincoln 180 in the box with all suplpies needed to a feild or woods to do some repairs if needed and run the 180 off the generator of the Ranger 225 for thinner things such as panels,sheetmetal etc on farm equipment,or a spool gun to weld aluminum for hunting properties reparing tree stands,dog boxes..boats..etc..try luggin one of those bigger machines around for that.

Like i said..to each their own on the size..i use ALL those big industrial professional machines at fab shops all the time and still see no need for one at home unless you use it for a home bussines used daily.

Tha 211 would be an awesome choice in my opinion if you have the money to fork out for a new one.

Try eBay,ALOT of authorised Lincoln,Hobart,ESAB and Miller dealers will start an auction on nice machines for .99 and let the bidders decide how much it's worth.

I got my Lincoln 180 for 500.00 brand new shipped to my door that way from an authorised dealer while others were selling them 600.00+ online and Local Weld Supply Stores and Home Depot and Lowes.

Just my .02

And the moral of the story is just try a few different ones see which one you like and buy it. I'm no professional welder by any means I just know what i have found that works for me. YOu can take all the opinions in the world & the more you read them the more confused you are going to be I had a snap on machine it was a very small 110v think it was 110a it had a real pretty paint job worked about the same as the other small ones to me.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.