Thinking of buying a welder - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #256
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ironworker (or anyone),

I know this is probably a stupid question, but my house has a 250V outlet in the laundry room.... However, from what I've been able to dig up about the welder I've been looking at, it's able to run off of 208 230, or 460 V. Is there anyway to make this work? Besides having another outlet installed in the garage. I was planning on running an extension cord for the time being. Here is the link to the manual http://content.lincolnelectric.com//...r/im/IM315.pdf

Thanks guys.

zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #257
thatnameisinuse
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It should be wired for 230v
thatnameisinuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #258
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
Ironworker (or anyone),

I know this is probably a stupid question, but my house has a 250V outlet in the laundry room.... However, from what I've been able to dig up about the welder I've been looking at, it's able to run off of 208 230, or 460 V. Is there anyway to make this work? Besides having another outlet installed in the garage. I was planning on running an extension cord for the time being. Here is the link to the manual http://content.lincolnelectric.com//...r/im/IM315.pdf

Thanks guys.
You can probably put a voltage gauge there and see that you probably have 210-240 actual volts.

Laundry room probably =30 amp breaker for a clothes dryer. I don't think you can run the welder in your link above on a 30 amp breaker.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #259
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatnameisinuse View Post
It should be wired for 230v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
You can probably put a voltage gauge there and see that you probably have 210-240 actual volts.

Laundry room probably =30 amp breaker for a clothes dryer. I don't think you can run the welder in your link above on a 30 amp breaker.
Damn, I figured as much. Thanks guys. Anyone looking at the welder I mentioned, it's in northern CO.
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #260
deerhunter1911
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im in a welding class now and i just talked to my instructor about the Dryer circuit; it is 230V but its a 30Amp breaker, meaning it won't run a welder. You need a minimum 50 amp breaker and there is a bit about being number 6 carrier cable (i forget the correct term). Im thinking about running a line out to the shed with a 50amp breaker; should know how to do that by the end of the semester
Red Jeep Club member # 389

FLY NAVY!
deerhunter1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #261
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I run my Lincoln 180 on my dryer plug regularly,30 amp breaker with no problems what so ever.

I think the 50 amp they require is only to get maximum heat out of it ,i weld heavy steel with it(1/4"-1" thick with multiple passes) and yet to have a breaker go off or even the cord warm or hit the duty cycle

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #262
bigtim6656
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have took mig and taking arc now at my college. I think mig is the way to go unless your welding real thick stuff.
I got lucky though, our class runs high end welders and their moving the welding shop to a new building with all new stuff. So at the end of the semester their selling all the welders to the students for 100 to 200 bucks. The mig welders are miller 252 and run 2k new. Going to try and pick up a mig, tig and arc machine. The instructor said he did not think me getting one of each would be a issue.
bigtim6656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #263
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have one of the Miller 211 Autoset's as well. I really like the portability of it with the MVP plug. 220V at home, or 110V at a buddies place to work on his junk. Best of both worlds.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #264
thatnameisinuse
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What iron worker said , same machine same setup no problems
thatnameisinuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #265
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I also run the lincoln 180 Home Depot one and am using a 35 foot 12 gauge wire from the laundry room to garage. Any longer and you will need 10 gauge. Never blown a breaker, these welders only draw about 20amps max though so a 30 amp breaker should never blow.
GREAT welder, know a lot of people that make custom roll bars and suspensions for there prerunners that just use this welder for everything. Doesnt have all the fancy controls, but the work that I do, just dont need them.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #266
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Another noob looking to get a welder. i have stick welded a couple times and that's it. Too many projects on my jeep are held up because I don't have the equipment and skill.

I don't have the spare cash to get a 220, so I am going with a smaller mig. This will be for learning, fixing my shock tabs, re-doing my spring perches, cage to frame, and anything else that comes up with my jeep over the next few years.

the plan is to use flux core just to keep things simple for me.

So
Miller?
Hobart?
Lincoln?
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #267
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
Another noob looking to get a welder. i have stick welded a couple times and that's it. Too many projects on my jeep are held up because I don't have the equipment and skill.

I don't have the spare cash to get a 220, so I am going with a smaller mig. This will be for learning, fixing my shock tabs, re-doing my spring perches, cage to frame, and anything else that comes up with my jeep over the next few years.

the plan is to use flux core just to keep things simple for me.

So
Miller?
Hobart?
Lincoln?
Anyone of them are high quality machines..i beleive the hobart and lincoln bein around the same price and the miller much higher

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #268
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So instead of starting a new thread I thought Id revive this one.

Im looking at getting a stick welder for bumpers/skids etc.

What is the general consensus on the Hobart Stickmate 205? Its 220 AC only.

Is this a good route to go? The AC only stickmate is $279 locally. For a nice AC/DC 220 stick I am looking at over $500. For that 200 dollar difference I can pick up a low power flux core welder for sheet metal/exhaust work. Would this be better than trying to do the sheet metal on DC with a 220 stick?

Thanks!
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #269
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have one and it works just fine, I don't use it much since I have a Hobart 230 but it does work good for what I have used it for.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #270
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm planning to buy a MIG welder pretty soon here. My budget should be about $1000 but I don't have to spend that much. I'd like to be able to get the machine, tank and probably a cart on the budget. Plans for use include welding brackets on axles, bumpers, other miscellaneous stuff.

Is it worth the extra cost to buy the 210 amp machine over a 180 amp machine? Worth the extra cost for the Miller?
jose_p_adams is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.