Thinking of buying a welder - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 06-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #241
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyarea View Post
I am looking at a used Lincoln v100 inverter tig welder is this a good welder for general jeep stuff
that is not sheet metal.
That's an excellent machine,have used it many times at a nuke plant in Baxley Ga where they use those machines .

It'll be good for anything from light to heavy,it can be used for TIG and Stick welding

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #242
Bnabb
1993 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on the harbor frieght welder, or any of their welders for that matter. I'm just looking for a good beginner welder and harbor frieght seems like a good deal.
Bnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #243
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Harbor Freight welders are complete crap, even for free. Save a little more money and buy a decent machine. You'll be glad you did.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #244
Mike
oooh you almost had it

bought the first welder to go in the stable. found a large shop going out of business and selling all of its inventory. they had a Millermatic 250, analog (i know these machines are iffy in some models offered in the earlier 250 series) and very lightly used. brought it home, replaced about 20 bucks worth of consumables, open the cover and find a brand new 44lb spool of .035 added a bottle of argon and i was set. couldn't go wrong for 350 bucks i don't think
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #245
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudvain View Post
bought the first welder to go in the stable. found a large shop going out of business and selling all of its inventory. they had a Millermatic 250, analog (i know these machines are iffy in some models offered in the earlier 250 series) and very lightly used. brought it home, replaced about 20 bucks worth of consumables, open the cover and find a brand new 44lb spool of .035 added a bottle of argon and i was set. couldn't go wrong for 350 bucks i don't think
You STOLE it!

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #246
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just recieved my miller 211. This is my Home welder. I also haver a 252 at our shop

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #247
deerhunter1911
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_nichols View Post
I just recieved my miller 211. This is my Home welder. I also haver a 252 at our shop
JEALOUS! That's the setup im buying (hopefully) by the end of summer...now i wait for paychecks to tumble in... have fun man! post up your projects!
Red Jeep Club member # 389

FLY NAVY!
deerhunter1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #248
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter1911 View Post
JEALOUS! That's the setup im buying (hopefully) by the end of summer...now i wait for paychecks to tumble in... have fun man! post up your projects!
I have to say I was worried it wouldn't be good enough since I am use to the 252. I have to say I think I like it better than the 252.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #249
deerhunter1911
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i really hate you right now...mine is probably another 2 months in the coming...but i WILL have it before summer ends, AND to put the icing on the cake, im taking a welding class at school next semester. BLING!
Red Jeep Club member # 389

FLY NAVY!
deerhunter1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 01:56 AM   #250
iceman8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Miller 211 Autoset is on sale at AirGas right now...I really want it but my Lincoln is still working great. I did get a set of bottles to set up my cutting rig there though...on sale too, first gas filling free too. Making a portable yard/driveway fire pit this week.
iceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #251
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Found this on CL

"Lincoln Welder Tig250 ,AC/DC- and DC+ Combination Tig and Stick, includes tig torch ,foot pedal remote, stick welding leads, 1phase 50Amp"

The picture included looks like the same exact model that I've been using in my welding class, so I am fairly familiar with it. I loved TIG welding while we did it. It looks like people are able to pick up a bottle for argon at around $100, plus a fill. The guy is asking $650. It's a long shot if I get it, but I was thinking of offering maybe $550? Is this even a good deal? Seems like it to me.
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #252
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
Found this on CL

"Lincoln Welder Tig250 ,AC/DC- and DC+ Combination Tig and Stick, includes tig torch ,foot pedal remote, stick welding leads, 1phase 50Amp"

The picture included looks like the same exact model that I've been using in my welding class, so I am fairly familiar with it. I loved TIG welding while we did it. It looks like people are able to pick up a bottle for argon at around $100, plus a fill. The guy is asking $650. It's a long shot if I get it, but I was thinking of offering maybe $550? Is this even a good deal? Seems like it to me.
I'd JUMP on that deal,especialy with all the extras,TIG torch,foot remote,leads,,etc

Never forget 9/11

Unread 07-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #253
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
I'd JUMP on that deal,especialy with all the extras,TIG torch,foot remote,leads,,etc
Ah that's what I'm thinking. Strange thing, in my class we haven't gotten to MIG welding yet. However, I enjoyed TIG welding so much. Was I right about the price for a bottle?

Thanks Ironworker for the quick reply.
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #254
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
Ah that's what I'm thinking. Strange thing, in my class we haven't gotten to MIG welding yet. However, I enjoyed TIG welding so much. Was I right about the price for a bottle?

Thanks Ironworker for the quick reply.
It depends on the area as to what the bottles cost,it's actualy a wide range of prices from one location to the other...one thing you can do is sometimes people on craiglist or local swap papers will have used bottles for cheap.

Since you love TIG so much and getting a TIG outfit now,keep up the practice and learn it well,there is plenty of stick and wirefeed weldors,but not many REAL TIG weldors out there and a career in TIG welding is a high paying job over stick or MIG because of the extra talent it involves

Never forget 9/11

Unread 07-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #255
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
It depends on the area as to what the bottles cost,it's actualy a wide range of prices from one location to the other...one thing you can do is sometimes people on craiglist or local swap papers will have used bottles for cheap.

Since you love TIG so much and getting a TIG outfit now,keep up the practice and learn it well,there is plenty of stick and wirefeed weldors,but not many REAL TIG weldors out there and a career in TIG welding is a high paying job over stick or MIG because of the extra talent it involves
Thanks, hopefully I can find a bottle for relatively cheap if I pick this guy up.

I'm not looking for a career in TIG welding, just a hobby. But since TIG can produce very high quality welds, I figure if I can find a good deal on one I should try to snag it. I'd use it on steel, no aluminum yet...

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know if things fall into place!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.