Thinking of buying a welder - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #226
deerhunter1911
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good news! Thanks Ironworker! Yea, wire I'll probably buy locally instead of ordering, see what i can find. I was ebaying out the Miller and the performance series helmet. I decided on that helmet because its the first one in the Miller line with 1/20,000 delay. I am working on a flight contract with the Navy and eyes are REALLY important to me. I am also a buy once cry once kinda person (if you couldn't tell). Thanks again!

Red Jeep Club member # 389

FLY NAVY!

Last edited by deerhunter1911; 05-04-2010 at 10:54 PM..
deerhunter1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #227
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you're concerned about the delay time,for the same price area you can get the much faster than 1/10,000 in different brands but just a good quaility as a Miller Hood.

Do some research on Optrel,Jackson/Huntsman,ArcOne,Hobart and Speedglas,for the money you're looking to spend on one,you can get a top notch FAST sheild,but a few things to look for...

1. make sure it has a decent headband,one that is not real flimsy but lightweight and the ratchet is stout,alot of the cheaper ones have flimsy bands and causes to the hood to shake alot,and they have a ratchet adjustment that never holds it's adjustment snug on the head.

2 in my opinion never buy an auto hood that has the shade or other adjustment knobs on the outside,they tend to get banged around or hung up on something and break,being inside the hood the adjustments are protected.

3 make sure it is NOT ran just off of a battery for power supply,they go through batterys like a child does with their favorote noisy toy. If at all possible..i like the one's that rely on solar 100%..no batteries,never no need to worry about having back up batteries,but i do have a Jackson NexGen Lens that uses the small watch type batteries and rarely ever have to change them out,but it uses mostly solar for power and the batteries are for backup.

4 make sure it has a good sensitivity variable ,it helps alot when welding in the sun,or the opposite in the dark,when welding in bright sunlight the auto lens tends to flash over before you even start an arc from the bright sun triggering it off,which becomes a PITA when tacking something together and needing one hand to hold it.

5 any lens with a shade adjustment in the area of 7 up to 13 is good,most common is 9-13,and alot now going to the 8-12 now,the lower the number..the lighter the shade.Some now have the grind/plasma feature,meaning you can set the light shade not to flash over the welding shade while grinding or using a plasma or cutting torch,that's an option entirely up to the user..some use it..some don't

The main factor is..being lightweight,good flash over time,and some have a bigger welding lens veiw area,but the bigger the lens,the more it weighs too,the weight of a hood plays alot more of a factor on you're neck and it can aggravate you when welding most of the day.But make sure it's not a flimsy material,i have a Jackson HaloX hood,advertised as one of the lightest hood,but it's flimsy.
And final but far from the least..a good clear lens that you can clearly see the puddle while welding,that factor usualy depends on the quality and means buying a top notch brand llens,but doesn;t neccecarliy mean spending more money,as as an example i just bought an ArcOne Carrera for 73.00 brand new shipped to my door and it has ALL the settings..adjustments and a very clear lens..all the same as the "big dog" high priced lens,but a very tempting price,and it's made by ArcOne,which is a really great name in welding.

Now a days with the low economy and alot of the competition with cheapo manufacturers,the well known brands are making new hood/lens with good features and quality as the big pricy line at a very affordable price now...so shop around and choose you're weapon wisely..lol

PM me when you decide to start buyin if you want,i'll always give you an un-biased honest opinion on this type of stuff and even help search a good deal for you.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx

Last edited by Ironworker709; 05-05-2010 at 05:17 AM..
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #228
deerhunter1911
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hell yea man, i'll totally take you up on that. question though: delay time, smaller is better, hence 1/20,000 is a LOT faster than 1/10,000 (5e-5s vs 1e-4s), and therefore a better hood; or did i miss something?

you'll for sure be getting a pm, though realize you may have opened the flood gates...

FLY NAVY!
Unread 05-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #229
Buffalo99
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome thread! Tons of great information, advice and guidance.

Thanks, guys.
Buffalo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 04:42 AM   #230
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter1911 View Post
hell yea man, i'll totally take you up on that. question though: delay time, smaller is better, hence 1/20,000 is a LOT faster than 1/10,000 (5e-5s vs 1e-4s), and therefore a better hood; or did i miss something?

you'll for sure be getting a pm, though realize you may have opened the flood gates...
I think i'll start a thread tonight after work on auto lens welding hoods,,give my expereince..all the settings and reasons why you'd want one type over another in different scenerios to keep this thread more for welders..etc.
And invite anyone to show what auto lens they have and their expereince with them and how they've worked outfor them so far.
the biggest factor is if the lens and cover lens is ANSI Z87.1 or higher TRUE rated lens and cover lens..you'll be protected 100% from any UV and IR

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx

Last edited by Ironworker709; 05-05-2010 at 05:14 AM..
Unread 05-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #231
deerhunter1911
1997 TJ Wrangler 

that would be helpful as all hell. let me/us know when its up and maybe stick a link in here?

FLY NAVY!
Unread 05-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #232
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is a local store closing out thats got a pretty decent deal on a hobart handler 125 EZ ($200 new). I have never welded before in my life and am wanting to get into it and teach myself to do some basic fab work. Is this a ok welder to start out with? I know it's not the best, but for welding stuff on the jeep or making a small trailer will it be heavy enough to do that?
Unread 05-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #233
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbs View Post
There is a local store closing out thats got a pretty decent deal on a hobart handler 125 EZ ($200 new). I have never welded before in my life and am wanting to get into it and teach myself to do some basic fab work. Is this a ok welder to start out with? I know it's not the best, but for welding stuff on the jeep or making a small trailer will it be heavy enough to do that?
Yes and no...........

In an innexpereinced hand..NO
Someone who knows how to make sure the pass is getting penetration and not exceeding the capability of the small amp machine..yes or maybe....

That is a good price though for being new,but i personaly wouldn't trust it to weld anything safety related..such as axle mods,spring perches..or even a bumper you're going to use to pull it and others out.
It'd be a good welder for small stuff..like 1/8" or less..sheetmetal..ect

I'm not familiar with that machine..is it capable of MIG?..if not...you'll even have a hard time welding sheetmetal without boogering it up and burning holes through with fluxcore

Never forget 9/11

Unread 05-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #234
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Yes and no...........

In an innexpereinced hand..NO
Someone who knows how to make sure the pass is getting penetration and not exceeding the capability of the small amp machine..yes or maybe....

That is a good price though for being new,but i personaly wouldn't trust it to weld anything safety related..such as axle mods,spring perches..or even a bumper you're going to use to pull it and others out.
It'd be a good welder for small stuff..like 1/8" or less..sheetmetal..ect

I'm not familiar with that machine..is it capable of MIG?..if not...you'll even have a hard time welding sheetmetal without boogering it up and burning holes through with fluxcore

Any input on a budget minded machine to get into? I know there is alot of info in this thread but it's a long read and kinda hard to sort out when you don't know much. What are some specs i should be looking for? I'm looking at eventually making a small 4x4 trailer and some bumpers and the like, theres just so much info and opinions out there of what you need/want its hard to sort out.

That 125 is not mig capable just flux. They are closing out a hardware store and have some decent sales, but the next step up in hobart welders is like $700 and thats too spendy for me right now... Maybe looking for used machine would be best for me right now, but i still am not sure exactly i need to look for!
Unread 05-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #235
battlecattle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
And invite anyone to show what auto lens they have and their expereince with them and how they've worked outfor them so far.
I have run the NexGen on my Jackson hood for 7 years and love it. 1/25,000, large viewing area, grind and torch settings. I remember when I bought it... cost me an arm and a leg but still use it today, traveled overseas with it, MIG, low amp TIG, stick, Fluxcore, blah, blah, blah. It worked great in almost all situations but I do carry a gold #10 in my bag just in case. I am contemplating a Speedglas because of how light it is compared to my brick...
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #236
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbs View Post
Any input on a budget minded machine to get into? I know there is alot of info in this thread but it's a long read and kinda hard to sort out when you don't know much. What are some specs i should be looking for? I'm looking at eventually making a small 4x4 trailer and some bumpers and the like, theres just so much info and opinions out there of what you need/want its hard to sort out.

That 125 is not mig capable just flux. They are closing out a hardware store and have some decent sales, but the next step up in hobart welders is like $700 and thats too spendy for me right now... Maybe looking for used machine would be best for me right now, but i still am not sure exactly i need to look for!
Save money up and get a 220 volt machine..money well spent..Lincoln 180,Miller 180 or Hobart 187 are good picks..hobart is about the cheapest right now @ around 600.00 at tractor supply,but no less quality..all 3 are good machines

Never forget 9/11

Unread 05-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #237
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
I have run the NexGen on my Jackson hood for 7 years and love it. 1/25,000, large viewing area, grind and torch settings. I remember when I bought it... cost me an arm and a leg but still use it today, traveled overseas with it, MIG, low amp TIG, stick, Fluxcore, blah, blah, blah. It worked great in almost all situations but I do carry a gold #10 in my bag just in case. I am contemplating a Speedglas because of how light it is compared to my brick...
I love my NexGen too..but have a few other auto's too..one is the new ArcOne Carrera i just bought a week or so ago for 73.00 shipped to my door and IMPRESSED with it so far for 73.00
The other one is the Huntsman Nitro..good shield too for the iron jobs at work.
I'm gonna start a new thread this weekend on auto's so not to clutter this welder thread up too much more and give some feedback and expereince and invite others to do as well

Never forget 9/11

Unread 05-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #238
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter1911 View Post
that would be helpful as all hell. let me/us know when its up and maybe stick a link in here?
Here it is,this way we'll keep from cluttering up this sticky about welding machines with discussion about welding shields

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/a...8/#post9428946

Never forget 9/11

Unread 05-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #239
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am looking at a used Lincoln v100 inverter tig welder is this a good welder for general jeep stuff
that is not sheet metal.
greyarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #240
deerhunter1911
1997 TJ Wrangler 

bump

10 char

FLY NAVY!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.