Thinking of buying a welder - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineRugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 11-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #181
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
I have the opportunity to buy a Lincoln 180hd welder slightly used for $450. What do you guys think? I can't see myself ever needing to weld over 5/16". Mostly need for around the house and jeep projects.
You will not be dissapointed at all,i have it and LOVE it for the price,i just happened to get lucky and get mine brand new for 500.00 shipped to my door.

If ever needing to weld anything thicker,just bevel and run several passes to fill it

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #182
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

I'm looking into getting a welder. I've been cruising craigslist and found a good deal on a Lincoln AC 225 with some rods and a helmet. There is alot of mention of that particular welder on here but not much information (that I've been able to find). I've done some stick and mig welding years ago in an internship I had but not much.
My question is would this be a good occasional use welder for me to learn on welding up to 1/4 inch? Thanks!
-Justin
Unread 11-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #183
rustymudder
1982 CJ7 

I have a little 115volt lincoln flux-cored welder, I have the mig conversion kit on it and I frequently have to switch it back and forth between the flux-cored and mig. While i have it setup for mig it can handle sheet metal very well, but for thick stuff the flux-cored setup doesn't handle the thick stuff, not good enough for me to have complete confidence in something structural or something that would support the weight of the vehicle.

I'm thinking about getting another welder to handle the thick stuff. I'd like to get a 180 or 210 amp mig but I cant afford that (college student). So I'm looking at getting a stick welder for welding spring perches, bumpers, link mounts, frame mounts, etc. Can a stick welder handle tube, like for suspension links? what are some good stick welders that ya'll would recommend?
rustymudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #184
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The lincoln "buzz box" is a pretty good stick welder,can get them at lowes and home depot,just make sure you get the one that is AC/DC,don't get the one that is just AC.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #185
bigtim6656
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Go mig i am taking a Mig class right now taking tig this spring. Not to much you can not weld with a mig plus less clean up. Sure gas cost money. No gas on stick. The stick has flux around it to act like the shield gas. They have the same setup for gasless mig. You can weld thick stuff with a mig welder but it is hard to weld thin metal with a stick. A friend has asked me to fix issues 4 times now because he went cheap and bought a stick welder to light weight thin metal. Now if your welding 1/2 plates all day buy a stick but for exhaust and the stuff your do go mig. You can buy flux wire and go without gas for now or when working out side. Then go with argon or argon/CO2 for that nice clean weld
bigtim6656 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #186
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

been watching this thread for years and finally broke down and bought a welder. i was originally gonna go cheap but im glad i saved my pennies and got something good(at least according to me). i could only get a 115v because im renting a house and the house does not have 220 at all. even the dryer in the garage is 115v. so based on what ive read on here and other sites along with word of mouth i bought a hobart handler 140. i think it is awesome so far. i picked it up on sale at a local weld shop for $469. just layed some nice beads and i gotta say its a lot better that those little lincoln weldpacks. im very happy with my purchase
-chris
'92 vegas YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #187
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm looking for a welder. I do not plan on doing any huge projects. Here is one that I found on CL. Just trying to get some input on whether or not I should buy it. Would this be a good welder for a beginner? It looks a little beat up in the picture. So if someone can just tell me about the welder and what type of welding I can do with it.

Lincoln Welder
Thanks
Martinsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #188
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinsc View Post
I'm looking for a welder. I do not plan on doing any huge projects. Here is one that I found on CL. Just trying to get some input on whether or not I should buy it. Would this be a good welder for a beginner? It looks a little beat up in the picture. So if someone can just tell me about the welder and what type of welding I can do with it.

Lincoln Welder
Thanks
Great welder, too much money for it used though. You can buy a new one like that at Lowes or Home Depot for $270.00 or so,
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #189
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

In that case I wont buy it if its only 70 dollars less then a brand new one. Maybe I can talk them down?
Martinsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #190
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Depending on what you plan to do with it, you might want to spend a little more and get a MIG welder instead. It's easier to learn on if you haven't welded before and works a lot better on thin metal.

The problem is that if you plan on welding thicker stuff, you'll have to spend a lot more money to get a MIG welder with enough power.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #191
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinsc View Post
In that case I wont buy it if its only 70 dollars less then a brand new one. Maybe I can talk them down?
Correct. Other things to consider. The welder age, does he have longer cables on it, does he have up-grade clamps? If he gets to 150 or so and the welder is not real old/used, then jump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
Depending on what you plan to do with it, you might want to spend a little more and get a MIG welder instead. It's easier to learn on if you haven't welded before and works a lot better on thin metal.

The problem is that if you plan on welding thicker stuff, you'll have to spend a lot more money to get a MIG welder with enough power.
Yes a Mig on gas can weld thinner stuff.
I never understand what makes mig easier to learn on. I think it's what you were raised on.

And cost seems to be an issue with many folks. A really nice 110 volt 140 amp mig is going to run $500.00 with a gas tank. And it has low capacity.

The little Lincoln 225 buzz box has been around since I was a young kid and I'm an old phart now. I have welded with that welder since the late 60's and it is a great platform. Ugly strong welds.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #192
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just recently got the welder fired back up. Bought a Hobart 125 (not the EZ) about 5 years ago.

For a smallish 110v welder, it's been doing pretty good at welding up to 1/4" with flux. Some of the welds probably aren't the prettiest, but they have survived bend and impact testing. Though I haven't done structural welding with it, I have made bumpers and plated the frame in one spot.

I will probably go a bit bigger with better duty cycle (this being the one point I don't like, more waiting than welding) in the future, but for $300 on sale when I got, it's treated me pretty good.

Hobart Welders - Products - Wire Feed Welders - Handler 125

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #193
BeepTheJeep

very informative..I learned loads of stuff!
BeepTheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #194
mbogosia
1987 MJ Comanche 

I finally broke down and got a welder last week. I was originally going to go cheap(Harbor Freight), but after reading decided to go with a better brand. Then I realized I didn't have a 220 volt socket in the garage. So, I ended up with a Hobart Handler 140. My friend welded some perches on the other day and it did awesome. I think its going to be a good machine for me to learn on. Got it for $479 at Northern Tool. Also got a Auto dimming helmet for $50.
Welded rear and Aussie Front Locker
mbogosia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #195
shank38242
1984 CJ7 

Where is a good parts source for older welders?

I have a Lincoln Idealarc DC-250 with the wirefeed add on, and it is awesome, but it needs a switch that has to do with the change from stick/tig to wire feed. Also would love to have a pedal thing for the tig on it.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Steve
shank38242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.