Thinking of buying a welder - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #166
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the opportunity to buy a Lincoln 180hd welder slightly used for $450. What do you guys think? I can't see myself ever needing to weld over 5/16". Mostly need for around the house and jeep projects.

dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #167
cj5camo
1999 TJ Wrangler 

if you think thicker material might be an issue for your welder try a 45 on the ends you want joined
cj5camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #168
1preacherman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a hobart handler 140 It says that it will do 1/4 but I have gone up to 3/8ths with .035 wire, and all the way up 1/2 with acetelene preheat. My Dad is a pro iron worker and he id the one that taught me the tricks. The key is let it get hot enough to take.
1preacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #169
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

Gosh I miss my old Hobart. When I lived on the farm we had 3 phase power and had a 460 amp combo unit for mig and stick. Being able to Arc gouge was a nice asset also. Well anyways I am looking at a Hobart 210 handler for $730 w/free shipping. It is factory reconditioned so should be good to go.

One thing I have not seen mentioned here for good strong welds is proper fitment. Hard to be strong when you are filling large gaps. Fit it tight and weld it hot always kept things together down on the farm!
Roadymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #170
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

I bought the millermatic 212. It's a great welder and can handle anything from sheet metal for body work up to 3/8 inch. It's way easier to use than the old stick welders I learned on in H.S. shop class. If you're looking for something to use on cars or misc. metal fabrication you can't go wrong with it.
Unread 09-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #171
Brads_nky_yj

Getting ready to just go ahead and pull the trigger on a Millermatic 180 w/ Autoset. Been looking around for a while trying to decide what welder I should go with. Decided Miller, and wasnt sure between the 140 or 180 (due to money reasons) and said screw it, I want the biggest one I can afford. Anyone have the 180 and like it?

I know many do, just wanna hear how much you like it haha
Unread 10-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #172
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Finally upgraded from a Lincoln 100 to a Hobart 187. No more barrowing a welder any more for thicker stuff!
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #173
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadymi View Post
Gosh I miss my old Hobart. When I lived on the farm we had 3 phase power and had a 460 amp combo unit for mig and stick. Being able to Arc gouge was a nice asset also. Well anyways I am looking at a Hobart 210 handler for $730 w/free shipping. It is factory reconditioned so should be good to go.

One thing I have not seen mentioned here for good strong welds is proper fitment. Hard to be strong when you are filling large gaps. Fit it tight and weld it hot always kept things together down on the farm!
Actualy a bevel and about an 1/8th inch gap is ideal for 100% penetration and fill

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #174
Flingit1200s
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking at buying an oxy/acetelyne outfit. Medium duty should be fine. What are your suggestions regarding brand/style and where is the best place to buy? Thanks!
"Rusty" is a 2009 JK, "X", 6spd, 2.5" Rock Krawler, Fox shocks, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs, AR Baja 15x8, Tuffy console, PIAA Fogs, 4:56 gears which are too low for this tire size, JCR front bumper, Warn winch.
Flingit1200s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #175
paTJinTX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flingit1200s View Post
I'm looking at buying an oxy/acetelyne outfit. Medium duty should be fine. What are your suggestions regarding brand/style and where is the best place to buy? Thanks!
Victor makes quite possibly the best product when it comes to O/A setups.

A few brands would be-

Victor
Radnor(Airgas "house" brand)
Proweld( available @ Northern)

Just to name a few. Personally when I buy my O/A rig it'll be a Victor setup

Both Victor and Radnor are available @ any AIRGAS store(Idk bout your area, but the ones here right now are having sales on their victor cutting outfits), Also check your local LWS, they'd be able to help you with the best setup
paTJinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #176
LordBronz
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I am looking to purchase a Hobart Stickmate 205 AC. I'd like to be able to weld 1/4" for frame work, bumpers, and other armor. This should do a good job for that right? It is rated at 3/8" weld thickness. How thin of a material could I weld with it though?
Unread 10-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #177
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBronz View Post
I am looking to purchase a Hobart Stickmate 205 AC. I'd like to be able to weld 1/4" for frame work, bumpers, and other armor. This should do a good job for that right? It is rated at 3/8" weld thickness. How thin of a material could I weld with it though?
Duck Soup. You can weld most all your 1/4" stuff single pass. What rod are you using?
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #178
LordBronz
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I'm rather new to this, what size should I use? Do I need different rod for 1/8", 3/16", 1/4"?

Is that specific welder a good pick for what I want though Bob? To have that strength at a price of $350 it seems perfect. Thanks for the help throughout this thread by the way, you've been a major help.

Just a curious side question, would that welder be able to weld sheet metal? I don't plan on doing that but I am just wondering.
Unread 11-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #179
04rubigade
2004 TJ Wrangler 

hobart 140 for the win its 120v and will weld everything you need i love mine and have successfully fabed many parts
04rubigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #180
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBronz View Post
I'm rather new to this, what size should I use? Do I need different rod for 1/8", 3/16", 1/4"?

Is that specific welder a good pick for what I want though Bob? To have that strength at a price of $350 it seems perfect. Thanks for the help throughout this thread by the way, you've been a major help.

Just a curious side question, would that welder be able to weld sheet metal? I don't plan on doing that but I am just wondering.
Sorry, just saw this.

The 3/32, 1/8, and 1/4 are rod sizes. You want 3/32" and some 1/8".

Your welder is a AC only "buzz" box. Get the 7018AC (make sure it says AC on it) and also get some 6011 rod. The 6011 is a great all around rod that penetrates good. The 7018AC has a better looking weld and a stronger bead, but it does not penetrate like the 6011.

And yes, with some practice you can weld sheet metal. Once you get thinner than 16 gauge it gets hard though.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.