Thinking of buying a welder - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 05-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #151
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
What do you guys think about the Hobart Handler 187? The local Tractor Supply has em and I know some people down there so I can get a decent discount. I plan using the gas mixture with it. I will be using it for everything from all the welding for my SOA conversion this summer, to boatsides, to tube fenders, trusses and to some sheet metal work. Anyone have this welder and what do ya think?

And all you guys who reccomend Miller, I understand what you are going to say, but Im in college and dont have an unlimited amount of money. Plus we have a Hobart Stickmate here at the house and it has never let us down one bit, so getting another Hobart would be fine.

BTW this would MY first welder and I plan on keeping it for a while, until I get my own place and what not. Thanks
That welder will do whatever you want. Great machine. The stickmate is as well. Why not use it?

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #152
Brads_nky_yj

We do use the Stickmate, often actually, but I have been wanting a MIG for a while. I have some sheet metal work to do and plan on welding alot of different projects where either the stick would be awkward to use or wouldnt leave a pretty weld. Im sorta OCD.

It will be nice to have the MIG around for whenever we do thinner stuff as well as roll cages/tube fenders/etc etc. Also, I cant stick weld worth a crap, but my dad is awesome at it, but he works crazy wierd shifts (powerplant boss) so I would hate to have to rely on him to always weld up my junk and such. I like the idea of teaching myself, learning to MIG and having a MIG welder that is capable and will last me for many years.

Last edited by Brads_nky_yj; 05-18-2009 at 11:17 PM..
Brads_nky_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #153
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
We do use the Stickmate, often actually, but I have been wanting a MIG for a while. I have some sheet metal work to do and plan on welding alot of different projects where either the stick would be awkward to use or wouldnt leave a pretty weld. Im sorta OCD.

It will be nice to have the MIG around for whenever we do thinner stuff as well as roll cages/tube fenders/etc etc. Also, I cant stick weld worth a crap, but my dad is awesome at it, but he works crazy wierd shifts (powerplant boss) so I would hate to have to rely on him to always weld up my junk and such. I like the idea of teaching myself, learning to MIG and having a MIG welder that is capable and will last me for many years.
The 187 will do everything. If you just want a Mig for thin sheet metal get a 110 volt unit and save some money. I have a AC DC Stickmate and a Lincoln 140 Mig. The Mig is set-up for gas shield and is used on thin stuff. The advantage to the 187 is you can perform all these functions with the same unit. If you can swing the price of the 187 jump on it and you will have the best of both worlds.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #154
Brads_nky_yj

Yeah I think the main reason Im wanting the MIG is the versatility of it. It will be nice to do everything with one machine. But the stickmate still gets used regularly on our tractor and trailer.
Unread 05-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #155
andrewf09
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just bought my first machine, Hobart 187. Now I just need to learn to weld and get my skid plate back on
andrewf09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #156
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys,

I was cruising around Craigslist and saw a Miller 225 (at least thats what the title was)

He says its a:

Miller welder, 230v, single phase, 225a output, AC/DC, approx. 100 sticks, 40 ft pigtail, and clamps to go with it.

I do not know much about welding at all, but for $190, it seems like a good deal to me. Of course, I'd have to get the helmet, gloves, and whatever else I need. Unfortunately, I can't pick this up unless I move back to CO early, but that very well might happen.

Would this be a suitable welder for myself? I've been looking into taking classes myself. I am not interested in doing any sheet metal or aluminum, just steel ranging from 1/8" to 1/4". I'm looking to being able weld brackets, tabs, tube, etc.

Feel free to flame, I've perused through this thread, but am still utterly confused.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edit:

I just realized this in a 230V welder, does this mean I cannot run this in my garage without modification to the electrical systems?
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #157
silverwolf636
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dig Up Scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewf09 View Post
Just bought my first machine, Hobart 187. Now I just need to learn to weld and get my skid plate back on
Best thing to do is to dig up whatever scraps you can find and practice. Then, practice some more.
The rest stock I think.
My first jeep and "I like it".
http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/sho...&ppuser=107067
silverwolf636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #158
silverwolf636
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
Hey guys,

Would this be a suitable welder for myself? I've been looking into taking classes myself. I am not interested in doing any sheet metal or aluminum, just steel ranging from 1/8" to 1/4". I'm looking to being able weld brackets, tabs, tube, etc.

Feel free to flame, I've perused through this thread, but am still utterly confused.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edit:
I just realized this in a 230V welder, does this mean I cannot run this in my garage without modification to the electrical systems?
If you are using it for your Jeep or any other small jobs around the garage, I would try and find a mig (wire) welder. Unless you own a farm and need something for a little heavier applications. You will be surprised at what you will find that needs welded once you get one. (I.E. cracked lawnmower decks, bicycle frames, some body work when you hit that rock that you didn't see sticking out along the path you were 4-wheelin on, etc...)

And, if you don't have a 230v outlet (an outlet that resembles an electric dryer or electric stove) then yes you will have to run another outlet to your garage.

Hopes this helps.

Ray
The rest stock I think.
My first jeep and "I like it".
http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/sho...&ppuser=107067
silverwolf636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #159
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7554009067 View Post
Smells like

OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #160
ScJeepaholic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Damn the luck, a friend/vendor that works for a large NATIONAL welding AIR and GAS supply place got me an ESAB migmaster 250 for $325 bucks it sat in the repair shop for 18 months and he sold it to me for what they had in it. It doesn't have sides but it welds nice. I am going to powdercoat the front and back panel and get some 12 guage diamond plate and make some sides. I'll post some pics when I am done. You guys think flames on the front panel is going too far?

[CENTER][COLOR="White"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][B]White Jeep Club Member #999[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]FireMedic[/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Si vis pacem para bellum[/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER]slinky + escalator = everlasting fun[/CENTER]
ScJeepaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #161
roadney
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am looking to get my first welder. I want to do body work on my jeep and weld some suspension mounts etc. I can pick up a Lincoln AC-225 for $270 at lowes or a Lincoln pro mig 140 for $540 I could probably find a AC/DC for around $500 or so. Which should I get? Should I get the mig 140 to learn on and start me off and than get the AC/DC 225? I would just like to know which we be the best way to begin.
roadney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #162
ScJeepaholic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadney View Post
I am looking to get my first welder. I want to do body work on my jeep and weld some suspension mounts etc. I can pick up a Lincoln AC-225 for $270 at lowes or a Lincoln pro mig 140 for $540 I could probably find a AC/DC for around $500 or so. Which should I get? Should I get the mig 140 to learn on and start me off and than get the AC/DC 225? I would just like to know which we be the best way to begin.
I was using a Lincoln 170ish 120v welder, since I got the 230v esab I will never turn back. Look in craigslist or ask your local welding supply if they have any used welders for sale.

[CENTER][COLOR="White"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][B]White Jeep Club Member #999[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]FireMedic[/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Si vis pacem para bellum[/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER]slinky + escalator = everlasting fun[/CENTER]
ScJeepaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #163
andrewf09
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hobart 187 just arrived
andrewf09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 01:20 AM   #164
Firedog13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bought a Millermatic 211 with auto-set. It can run on 110 or 220. Started using it to build little things around the workshop. Very easy to use. Once I'm decent at welding (smoother beads) I'll start to build stuff for the Jeep. First project will be steps/sliders. Can hardly wait.

Last edited by Firedog13; 06-04-2009 at 09:04 AM..
Firedog13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #165
groundhound
1998 TJ Wrangler 

has anyone tried the Harbor Freight welder for $100? 110v - Its a flex wire so it wouldn't need o2 - I have a friend who paid like $150 for his welder, maybe from sears. Im not sure where he got it but he has been doing excellent fabricating work and body work with the thing. I was quite impressed. 110v. flex mig
groundhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.