Thinking about a SOA for my tent trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking about a SOA for my tent trailer

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thinking about a SOA for my tent trailer

My tent trailer has the offroad clearance of a skateboard so I'm thinking of doing a spring-over axle conversion. Other than cutting the spring perches off the bottom of the axle and welding them back on top, is there anything else to doing a SOA I need to know about?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I can't find the write up now (of course), but I saw one where a guy was going SOA on an old military trailer. Anyhow, it seems like that was basically all that was required. If I can find that one again I'll post it up.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

That is all we did for my grandfathers trailer. He wanted to add stiffer springs and be able to pull it comfortably with his F250 so we needed to go higher. It has worked great for the past 4 years. It was a 7X10 single axle.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
My tent trailer has the offroad clearance of a skateboard so I'm thinking of doing a spring-over axle conversion. Other than cutting the spring perches off the bottom of the axle and welding them back on top, is there anything else to doing a SOA I need to know about?
Jerry, if it's a straight axle can you just flip the axle over? I've done a couple of them like that. I did one for a buddy back 15 years ago and we didn't even unhitch the trailer. It took 20 minutes tops. Even with a drop axle sometimes you can just flip the axle. If it has brakes on the trailer the added leverage of the flip can cause issues though, especially if it's a drop axle. And if you can flip it and it does have brakes then make sure the brakes are on in the correct direction. Most trailer brakes can just be unbolted from the axle and swaped side to side if you flip the axle. I know nothing about camp trailers except the sink, stove, and toilet are usually all in the same basic area. One of the main keys in axle installation is to make sure the spring dowel pin sets good in the axle perch. Many springs use a bolt type dowel and you may be able to clamp the spring, remove it, and turn it around the other way. The other advantage to a SOA on a trailer is in many cases you can add extra ground clearance by putting taller tires on as well. I'd say you should get a minimun of 3" lift from this with the stock tire size so the hitch angle may be all screwed up as well. Bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
tcourdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
Jerry, if it's a straight axle can you just flip the axle over? Bob
Thats what I did to mine? Block up the trailer, unbolt the axle, take one bolt out of the leafs & roll the axle back and then back under the leaf, took me all of 20 minutes to do.
88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
richharr
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=17692 all I can find, if you have any questions for him, send em to me and I'll pm him
richharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I did a SOA to my utility trailer. like said above, if the axle is straight you can just flip it. One thing to note, Do not try and turn the head on most trailer spring bolts that pass though the shackle. (broke a ratchet with a breaker bar...oops )
you need to remove the nut, then bang out .

see picture:
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #8
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairy
I did a SOA to my utility trailer. like said above, if the axle is straight you can just flip it. One thing to note, Do not try and turn the head on most trailer spring bolts that pass though the shackle. (broke a ratchet with a breaker bar...oops )
you need to remove the nut, then bang out .

see picture:
Excellent point. And if you don't have those type of bolts in there, get them. Or tack weld the bolt head.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 12-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If I simply flip the axle over, I'm worried if the drum brakes will still bolt up properly. Any thoughts on that issue? I'll try that before cutting and re-welding the spring perches off though, thanks for the suggestions.

Unread 12-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
If I simply flip the axle over, I'm worried if the drum brakes will still bolt up properly. Any thoughts on that issue? I'll try that before cutting and re-welding the spring perches off though, thanks for the suggestions.
From what I understand, drum brakes do not work on gravity, they are held togeather with springs. Unless I am missing something, you should be ok.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
cookeab
Flatlander

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Soa

Check out the forum below. It has a lot of information on how people have approched modifying off-road trailers, including posts on SOAs. I am actually restoring an old M416 right now and have the frame all done. I got a new 3500 lb axle from etrailerparts for about 90 bucks, and all i need to do is get the perches welded on. If it is a straight axle, all you need to do is flip. Also, regarding the drum brakes, it depends on how they are set up.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/
cookeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
Bigbob

Quote:
Jerry, usually those brake backing plates are bolted on. So you can just un-bolt them and put them back on the correct way. Usually trailers have a 4 bolt set-up for the brake backing plate and I am pretty sure you can flip them as well. Just remember how they are now as they do need to be set so the brakes activate in the correct direction.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 12-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good enough, thanks guys. Hopefully the geniuses that designed the axle, backing plates, and drum brake assembly made the holes symmetrical so they bolt up.

It wouldn't surprise me though to find the engineer designed the axle flange and drum backing plate to only go on one way because of some engineer's misguided decision to make it impossible to mount them upside-down.

Thanks again for the thoughtful help and suggestions guys.

Unread 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
Bigbob

[QUOTE=

Thanks again for the thoughtful help and suggestions guys. [/QUOTE]

Make sure and let us see the results.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 12-22-2007, 12:39 AM   #15
McCRam

I did an axle flip on a boat this year. The thing towed terrible afterwards. The drop axle had to be mounted one way since it had some camber built into it. The straight axle I replaced it with had to be mounted right side up as well. I'm sure not all axles are built the same way, but I would just reweld the spring perches on the top of the axle. Then you won't have to worry about brake issues. Good Luck.
McCRam is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.