Thinking about buying a welder to learn on... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking about buying a welder to learn on...

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
C-Mil

Thinking about buying a welder to learn on...

so i have decided i want to weld. I have run into so many times that i hated myself for not signing up for welding class in high school, because i always run into situations that a welder would have saved me time, money, and frustration.

I do have several guys that have let me play on there MIG welders, and one arc welder. i am decent (for having about 5 mins. of experience) but i want one for myself so i can practice and get to the point where i can fab up my own parts and fix random things.

so what do you guys suggest? i don't know anything about the models, brands, a little about the types of welding machines, but nothing to in-depth.

thanks

P.S. I've also found out that if you own a Jeep, its almost mandatory to know how to weld lol.

-'03 Avalanche Z71. stock as they come.
C-Mil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got a Lincoln 100HD (home depot model) online for around $240 I wanna say last year. It is a 110v wire fed that can be used with gas. I don't use gas (just went mind blank and can't think of the name of the wire you use without gas) lol. Anyways, I taught myslef and its pretty easy. Played around with some scraps till I felt comfortable and since then I have built both front and rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders, and a few other small projects. Its a very good investment and just good to have. Makes removing striped bolts a breeze. If you strip the head off a bolt just weld a nut onto it and your good.

WHen I was shopping around I heard a lot of bad things about the Harbor Frieght models so I would stay away from them. I was told over and over again to go with something name brand such as Lincoln, Hobart, Miller, ect. Also if you have access to a 220v in the garage they are supposed to have a lot more power. THe 110 does fine for me. I haven't had the need to weld anything over a 1/4 yet which is pretty much my limit.
Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

I would say the Hobart Handler 140, it is a good cheaper welder, it does flux core and solid wire and is rated for 1/4" but you need to really prep it and do multiple passes and its only a 110v so it is more portable. Northern Tool has them for $480 shipped plus a cart, or you can get a refurbished one for $400
Unread 09-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

A good starter machine for 110V is the Hobart 140. You can get it at tractor supply for $450: Hobart Handler 140 Welder - 3812040 | Tractor Supply Company

BUT

If you truly want to start fabbing for yourself and have access to 220V power, get the hobart 187: Hobart Handler 187 Welder - 3807126 | Tractor Supply Company

You will not be disappointed with a 220 machine, you may with a 110.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Go big out of the gate. It's better to start out with a machine that is too big, rather than sinking money into one that is too small that you'll have to replace in a year or two.

I'm a big fan of the Lincoln Power Mig 255s, though a 215 is a good purchase too.
Unread 09-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like Mig, Blue, red, white or Yellow (ESAB) are all good. 220v is great, you can always turn down a high output machine but you can't a low output unit.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.