Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Thinking about buying a welder to learn on...

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  wushaw 
#1 ·
so i have decided i want to weld. I have run into so many times that i hated myself for not signing up for welding class in high school, because i always run into situations that a welder would have saved me time, money, and frustration.

I do have several guys that have let me play on there MIG welders, and one arc welder. i am decent (for having about 5 mins. of experience) but i want one for myself so i can practice and get to the point where i can fab up my own parts and fix random things.

so what do you guys suggest? i don't know anything about the models, brands, a little about the types of welding machines, but nothing to in-depth.

thanks

P.S. I've also found out that if you own a Jeep, its almost mandatory to know how to weld lol.

#2 ·
I got a Lincoln 100HD (home depot model) online for around $240 I wanna say last year. It is a 110v wire fed that can be used with gas. I don't use gas (just went mind blank and can't think of the name of the wire you use without gas) lol. Anyways, I taught myslef and its pretty easy. Played around with some scraps till I felt comfortable and since then I have built both front and rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders, and a few other small projects. Its a very good investment and just good to have. Makes removing striped bolts a breeze. If you strip the head off a bolt just weld a nut onto it and your good.

WHen I was shopping around I heard a lot of bad things about the Harbor Frieght models so I would stay away from them. I was told over and over again to go with something name brand such as Lincoln, Hobart, Miller, ect. Also if you have access to a 220v in the garage they are supposed to have a lot more power. THe 110 does fine for me. I haven't had the need to weld anything over a 1/4 yet which is pretty much my limit.

#3 ·
I would say the Hobart Handler 140, it is a good cheaper welder, it does flux core and solid wire and is rated for 1/4" but you need to really prep it and do multiple passes and its only a 110v so it is more portable. Northern Tool has them for $480 shipped plus a cart, or you can get a refurbished one for $400

#4 ·
#5 ·
Go big out of the gate. It's better to start out with a machine that is too big, rather than sinking money into one that is too small that you'll have to replace in a year or two.

I'm a big fan of the Lincoln Power Mig 255s, though a 215 is a good purchase too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.