Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38 for $700 OPINIONS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38 for $700 OPINIONS

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 05-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38 for $700 OPINIONS

I am new to the whole plasma cutter thing, but do know I really want one. I came across a like new TD Cutmaster 38. Guy claims it has been used less then 10 times and looks BRAND NEW. I have only seen a picture of it and it does indeed look new.

What are your opinons of this cutter? What do I need to know before buying one?

Quick replies are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey Jeremy I asked about plasma cutters a while back and got some very good responses. Here's my thread on it. Plasma cutters. What works best for you?

Thermal Dynamics seems to be one of the leading manufactures in plasma cutters. As far as the price you found this one for, have you looked on ebay or craiglist to see what used one are going for? Without looking myself, have you checked on the new price for this paticular one?

Be sure you get the drag tip if it doesn't come equipped, makes them much easier to use. I've been borrowing one till I can get one myself and they are one of the greatest tools you can have.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Thanks Jim. Your thread had several good responses. I wonder if a drag tip is available for the cutmaster 38?
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I just Googled around for info on it. It's a 30amp cutter which should be good for most of the stuff a typical Jeeper would do. Pretty clean cuts up to the 3/8"-1/2" range (cutting slowly). I would imagine it has a drag cup/shield available for it but I'm not sure. Looks like it was replaced by the Cutmaster 39.. I saw a few of those brand new on the web for about $950-$1000.

If it's like new, $700 is probably okay.. $600 would be a good deal... $500 would be a really good deal?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Thanks Jim. Your thread had several good responses. I wonder if a drag tip is available for the cutmaster 38?
You're welcome. I'm not sure about the drag tip. I think you could probably buy a new torch for it that is set up for one if you'd need to though. Maybe you can get the guy to come down on the price some too. That would make it an even better deal.

Hey I noticed you're a Marine. Thanks for those years of service!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.