Is there an easy way to soften steel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Is there an easy way to soften steel?

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-01-2003, 09:54 PM   #1
shad4th

Is there an easy way to soften steel?

I am in the process of making some shovel mounting brackets for my Garvin roof rack. The brackets consist of some 2" wide by 3/16" thick mild steel bars and some pieces of angle bracket. I drilled the appropriate mounting holes in the bars, then arc welded on some angle bracket pieces. After it was all said and done, I decided to enlarge the existing mounting holes to accept 5/16 bolts instead of 1/4. When I tried to enlarge the holes, all I managed to do was wear out a couple of drill bits. I figured that the heat from the arc welding hardened the bars. Does anyone know of a way to soften the steel? If worse comes to worse, I'll just start over again (hell, the steel bars and angle stock cost less than the drill bit did anyway).
Thanks,
Shad4th

shad4th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2003, 12:28 AM   #2
awachwhiteboy
1975 CJ5 

Have you tried a cobalt bit yet? that is some good stuff. I drilled an old bolt out of my manifold with a colbalt bit it did it but by the end it too was getting dull. If its not the big of a deal and it sounds like its not just start over with your steel and drill first.
Sacramento Jeepers Group #1
awachwhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2003, 11:04 AM   #3
YJWOLF

Use a torch to soften up the metal. Its only mild steel, should be able to soften it up pretty quickle with a good flame.
YJWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2003, 08:26 PM   #4
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

metallurgy 101. you effectively air quenched the steel when you arc welded it. to soften it up again, you need to heat it up to about 800°F (like YJ said, a decent torch can easily achieve this) and then let it cool slowly. if it's a small enough piece, get two buckets and fill one of them with dry sand and the other with a layer of sand on the bottom a couple inches thick. make sure there's enough room for the part you're softening. then, heat the part with the torch as hot as you can or until cherry red, whichever comes first depending on the torch you're using. then, quickly put the part in the bucket with the sand layer (using tongs of course) and have someone pour sand from the other bucket on top of it to complete cover it. let it sit for a couple of hours or even better, overnight. it should soften it back up. this is called an annealing process. the sand acts as an insulator keeping the part hot much longer. we did this in HS when we made cold chisels and punches during our forging projects. if you want to harden the steel again before finalizing it, shine up a small area of the part and then heat it to cherry red again. using heavy gloves and some emery cloth (several layers think) sand the open spot to expose the steel to air again. watch the steel carefully and as it cools, you'll see it change color. when it reaches a straw yellow color, quench it in a bucket of water until cool. depending on thickness of the part and other factors, you'll have a part with varyin degrees of hardness, but for the most part it will be close to the hardness of tool steel. lol. probably more info then you ever wanted, but it's good to learn something new. HTH

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2003, 10:37 PM   #5
shad4th

Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for the information. Due to time constraints, I had to fab another set of mounting brackets from scratch. Now that I have some time, I'll try sentinal02's suggestion for annealing steel on one of the scrapped pieces. Great stuff!- thanks again. shad4th

Last edited by shad4th; 10-03-2003 at 11:03 PM..
shad4th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.