TF999 to NV3550 swap in a YJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-23-2015, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

TF999 to NV3550 swap in a YJ

Just finished the swap yesterday. Went a lot easier than I thought, if you have any questions about it let me know.

Vehicle is a 1989 YJ with the 4.2L and TF999 3 speed, NP231

Some things to note that I found out after reading the other NV3550 swap threads:

I used nothing from Advanced Adapters aside from the skid plate mount. My stock 4x4 shift lever fit on the transmission with some modification to the extra bolt bracket that it doesn't need.

Transmission was out of an '03, I used the master / slave, clutch, and flywheel from the same year. The new clutch kit I bought at O'Reiley's had a pilot bushing/bearing combo that is the exact dimensions you need (no need to buy a $23 brass bushing from AA)

Everyone says the master cylinder doesn't fit behind the brake booster... yes, it doesn't but if you drill the holes for it you can set it in at an angle and make it work anyway like I did.

The TF999 is 23 spline output, which is nice because it fits right into the transmission no problem.

The front and rear driveshafts, as well as the auto transmission mount, are the only things that didn't fit back in. The 3550 is longer by about an inch and a half so I'll need some new driveshafts now. It also needs to sit way lower than the auto does. I took my auto mount to my friend's machine shop and he just sawed off the bracket that sticks up over the torque arm. It's a manual transmission mount now!

Other than that, it was a very straightforward swap out. Pictures will come eventually when I get a better internet connection

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-26-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quick update. Just figured out the NSS (neutral safety / start switch) wiring for those that are having trouble figuring out which is which. There are 3 wires going into the driver side of the transmission on mine, the yellow with black stripe, black with white stripe, and brown with white stripe.

The yellow with black stripe is the positive feed for the reverse lights (Should measure 12V when probed). The brown with white stripe is the output to the light bulbs and should measure 0V when probed. The medium between the two on the transmission would be the reverse light plug, which you can pick up the pigtail for it from any auto part store for roughly $12-$16

The black with white stripe is the ground for the starter relay, which reads about 10V when probed. This one needs to be grounded somewhere on the body. That's all there is to it!
post #3 of 5 Old 10-06-2015, 10:23 PM
ghech16
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wish I would have read this earlier before i bought that useless brass bushing from advance adapters. -_- I ended up using an oem pilot bearing. What did you do exactly with the 4x4 shift lever? I'm having trouble with that and different people keep telling me different things, like cutting part of the bracket. Just haven't gone through with anything yet.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-07-2015, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I know how you feel lol, and I bought the whole kit too and only used the Peugeot exhaust adapter.

With the 4x4 you can see how it needs to fit by placing it up against the 3 bolts on the transmission. There's a 4th one further forward that I just cut off since we didn't use it. I also had to shave off one of the fins on the transmission so it could fit down all the way.

It didn't bolt all the way on with all the transfer case bolts but it's on there.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-07-2015, 06:42 PM
ghech16
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply, that setup for the shifter seems pretty straight forward. I found a bracket for yj's that swap in the nv3550 for the transfercase but I'll probably end up just modifying the one i have now since I have two of them. http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...ransfer-cases/

Tags
auto to manual , nv3550 , tf999 , transmission swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.