Teach Myself To Weld - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Teach Myself To Weld

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #31
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I paid $579 for my hobart 187 over the summer at TSC, plus got another 10% off because they had a coupon. It was great price. I just got a flier from TSC this week that has the same welder on sale for $600.

If power supply is a problem and you have an electric drier close enough to your workspace, you could make an extension cord to run in it temporarely until you have service installed in the garage. I paid $50 for a 50 ft 10/3 extension cord at lowes and another $15 on ends to convert it to 220 (basically a drier plug end and a 30 amp receptacle).

'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #32
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

yeah sorry about that mix up ... i meant 3/16" not 3/8" lol. that would be a little much for a bumper.

i've talked myself into getting a little better quality ... i reallly like the hh140 my friend has one and he loves it.

i've found it for $490 locally with setups for gas or flux core (or the welder, autodimming mask, and leather welding gloves for $550)

after i get the exhaust manifold replaced, rear pinion seal replaced, and track bar replaced, i'll be gettin this i think.

whaddaya think of the price?

edit: what do you think about getting factory refurbished welders? i honestly wouldn't care if it wasn't new. http://www.toolking.com/products/517...ebase=500500AR

Last edited by C2U5H; 11-08-2008 at 05:08 PM..
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 02:15 AM   #33
Vhullen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

MILLER OR LINCOLN MIG WELDER with shielding gas....for one the mig isn't going to make a huge mess for you to clean up, and mig welders are the easiest way to weld...Migs don't send out sparks everywhere, so that you be won't light the flamable materials as easy(still be safe) and it's not going to make a burn make on your legs....don't get a cheapy do to the fact that they dont but out enough electric current to get the metal hot enough for there to be a good weld...
Vhullen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.