Tailgate actuated tub mounted carrier - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-28-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Dumpsterfish
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Tailgate actuated tub mounted carrier

So...I got a free bumper from a buddy of mine (hooray!), and installed it on my Jeep only to see it's WAAAAY to small for my gigantic comp4x4 spindle.

Since I'm gonna be installing full corners anyway, I figure I'll pick up some bushed DOM sleeves from Ruff Stuff and knock together a tub mounted carrier.

Here's the twist: JK style tailgate actuation. Basically I'm gonna run a small rod between the carrier and plate I'm using as a "tramp stamp", and set it up so that when you open the tailgate, the carrier swings with it.

I'll post pics once I start mocking up the design. Has anybody on here seen this done before? I haven't seen this setup, and wonder if there are any major pitfalls I'm not seeing...

'01 TJ...stock
'89 YJ...SOLD
'95 YJ...SOLD
'13 JKUS...SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-02-2016, 02:15 AM
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's a cool idea, here are two possible issues that come to mind...

If I'm understanding what you're describing, you'll be putting a lot of stress on the factory latch. I'm not too familiar with the TJ latch, but I would be concerned about doing that with my YJ. It looks like you are only running 30" tires so you might be fine, but if there are upgrades available for your latch you might want to look into it.

You might also want to consider making the rod connecting the carrier to the plate adjustable, like your tie rod. Otherwise it might be hard to eliminate rattle.

Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds. - Albert Einstein
post #3 of 7 Old 07-02-2016, 08:04 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpsterfish View Post
Here's the twist: JK style tailgate actuation. Basically I'm gonna run a small rod between the carrier and plate I'm using as a "tramp stamp", and set it up so that when you open the tailgate, the carrier swings with it.
These are the projects I like to do/see, home made, with character and thought. Just think it through and don't rush, you should be fine.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-02-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Dumpsterfish
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonk
It's a cool idea, here are two possible issues that come to mind... If I'm understanding what you're describing, you'll be putting a lot of stress on the factory latch. I'm not too familiar with the TJ latch, but I would be concerned about doing that with my YJ. It looks like you are only running 30" tires so you might be fine, but if there are upgrades available for your latch you might want to look into it. You might also want to consider making the rod connecting the carrier to the plate adjustable, like your tie rod. Otherwise it might be hard to eliminate rattle.
Interesting though re: the latch. I hadn't even considered the stress on that part.

And yeah, I figure the connecting rod will be right and left hand threaded so I can turn to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

'01 TJ...stock
'89 YJ...SOLD
'95 YJ...SOLD
'13 JKUS...SOLD
post #5 of 7 Old 07-03-2016, 05:41 AM
14Sport
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds similar to the PSC rear carrier I have as far as the tailgate attachment. On mine there is a seat the carrier sits in when the tailgate is closed I believe to take the stress off the mount.
Attached Thumbnails
PSC Carrier 01.jpg   PSC Carrier 02.jpg  

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-04-2016, 11:18 AM
churchofjt
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you end up needing beefier hinges, you might want to use the ones that jscherb designed for gr8tops (http://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/w...ailgate-hinges).
post #7 of 7 Old 07-11-2016, 08:27 PM
sepatubutut

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchofjt View Post
If you end up needing beefier hinges, you might want to use the ones that jscherb designed for gr8tops (http://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/w...ailgate-hinges).
Thanks for link suggest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.