SXOR single seat buggy build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > SXOR single seat buggy build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #46
jason m
your ad here...

Bump for updates.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #47
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately there are no updates. I haven't had a day off since my last post. By the end of the day Sunday I will have worked close to 180 hrs in the last two weeks. I've been too tired to even think about working on it. I have got in several parts for it though. The radiator is here, LS6 intake is here, CTM shafts and flanges for the rear axle are here, and I ordered a custom ATL fuel cell for it.

"Beat it like it owes you money"

Jeep Wrangler with some bolt-on "stuff"
Hokie_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #48
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's been a really long, really busy month at work. So I haven't had much time to even touch this thing. But at least all the OT has allowed me to order more parts. Over the last few days I've had a little time to work on a few small things.

LS6 intake installed.

New oil pan installed.

Orbital, column, and steering wheel mocked up.

The lighting in that picture is horrible, but you can kinda see the new fuel cell sitting there too. I decided to ditch the RCI cell, and had a custom ATL cell built. It's a 8 gallon cell with an in-tank Bosch 044 pump feeding from a trap door surge tank. It was pricey, but man is it nice.

I also got the Radiator in from PRC. I highly recommend them if you need one built. I ordered it on a Friday afternoon and it was built and shipped by Wednesday. The quality is top notch as well.

Once I got the radiator here I decided I didn't like it mounted over the engine so I decided to put it back down in front of the engine. So far I just have the lower mount mocked up. I split a short piece of 1.75" tube to saddle the 1.5" and welded on a piece of 2" flat bar to support the bottom of the radiator.

I still have to bend some tube to protect the radiator and build the top mount off of.

I also worked on the shifters for the Atlas. With the the standard shifters the levers were almost behind the seat.

I cut the levers off short and used a couple short pieces of 1/2" sch. 80 pipe as a sleeve for the new lever.

I bent and threaded a couple pieces of 1/2" for the new levers, and added the pistol grip handles just because.

New shifters installed. They're easy to reach now, and I think the extra leverage will make the Atlas easier to shift.

I know this is a pretty boring update, but I hope to get some more stuff knocked out this weekend and next week.

Unread 05-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #49
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Today I worked on the radiator protection/top mount. This was my first time ever bending tube. So it was slow going. No better time to learn than in the middle of a build I guess. Lol. Love the RogueFab bender so far though.

I just bent a simple hoop to protect the top of the radiator and added tube flanges so it can be removed to pull the motor.

Made the plate to clamp the top of the radiator from some 2" flat bar and some shock tabs I had here in the shop.

I had to make a couple tabs to attach the top plate to the tube.

Finally finished.

The radiator is isolated with 1/8" silicone rubber between the top and bottom mounts, but it's still a little loose. I need to find something a little thicker that will still compress and hold it tighter. Any suggestions?

Unread 05-31-2014, 07:09 PM   #50
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Might dig around on McMaster Carr... in their Rubber section. They have lots of different material in varying thicknesses.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #51
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I didn't think to check there.

Unread 06-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #52
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Today I got the fuel cell mount built. I added a piece of tube between the shock mounts to mount the front of the brackets on.

I made the brackets out of some 1" angle and mounted them to the bolts holding the can together. I used the same rubber I used on the radiator between the brackets and the top of the cell and between the cell and the floor.

I also started working on the interior panels. I'm using 1" thin walled tubing for the framing, and probably will use 1/8" aluminum for the panels. I want to make them all easily removable to make it easier to work on. It's definitely going to be snug inside for a big guy like me, but it's still comfortable.

Unread 06-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #53
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just had a couple hours to work on this thing today. I made a couple tabs and got the light bar mounted. It's a 20" flood/spot combo from TrailWorthy Fab. I started to bend up some tube to protect it, but I ran out of time.

Unread 06-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #54
jason m
your ad here...

Update.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #55
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately I don't have anything worthy of posting pics of. I've barely touched it the last couple weeks.

Unread 06-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #56
NalinMFG
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great looking build. I've got an LS/powerglide build going on right now with the same headers. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #57
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks man! I've had to cut the motor mounts and move the motor toward the drivers side just a little bit. I haven't nailed down the final position yet, but I may not be able to use those headers now at least not without cutting them up.

Unread 06-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #58
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That has been a TON of work to get this far, but doing it right the first time is the way to go! The one thing about this build is that everything is custom, lots of time figuring crap out as far as placement and functionality. Great job!
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #59
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks man! This continues to be a huge learning experience for me.

Unread 07-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #60
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've been off work this week so I finally got to work on this thing a little bit for the first time in a month. I've had a lot of other stuff to do so I haven't made as much progress as I'd like though.

I cut and moved the tube that was hitting the right front shock when it was flexed out. The joint is slugged with 1.25" tube.

Then I added some reinforcement to the chassis side track bar mount and made it double shear. Before it was just a bolt threaded into a bung in the chassis.

Most of my time this week has been spent redoing my screw ups though. I had to cut all the drivetrain mounts and angle everything toward the drivers side a little more. Luckily I had only tacked everything. I got in too big of a hurry the first time around and didn't leave enough room for the driveshaft. It's still SUPER tight, but I think it will work now. After I got everything relocated I bent up a skid plate for the engine. I tied it into the motor mounts and used tube flanges to make it removable.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a little more done this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.