SXOR single seat buggy build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > SXOR single seat buggy build

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 03-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #31
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My front shafts are actually already clearanced. The inners are Moser shafts machined by Branik, and the outers are CTMs. I may get away without limiting the ram, we'll see.

"Beat it like it owes you money"

Jeep Wrangler with some bolt-on "stuff"
Hokie_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #32
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I spent a few hours in the shop this afternoon. Not a lot of progress, but I got a few things done. I put the wheels and tires on the front and got it off the jack stands to get some better pictures.

Then I used the hoist to flex it out and see how everything looks. There's a couple of issues there, but I kinda expected them. The rear tires get into the shocks pretty good when it's flexed out. And the front passenger side shock hits the chassis just a little. The front will require re-doing a small section of tube, not a big deal really. I don't know whether to try to run bigger spacers on the rear to clear the shocks, or if I should just get new wheels.

I also got the transmission/t-case mated to the engine. Planning on sitting it in the chassis first thing in the morning to start working on mounting it.

Unread 03-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #33
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I sat the drivetrain in today, it's a VERY tight fit. It's just sitting on blocks right now. I still have to do a lot of measuring and checking before I start mounting it, but it's a start.

One issue is the oil pan. I'm going to have to go back to an F-Body style pan. The GTO pan just isn't going to work. The the oil filter and part of the sump want to occupy the same space as the pinion yoke. I was hoping to get farther along today, but it was slow going and I didn't get as much time in the shop as I hoped to. I snapped a few pictures, but they don't show much really.

Unread 04-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #34
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't get to update over the weekend. Saturday I got the drivetrain in what I think will be the final position and tacked in some motor mounts. I will gusset them when I'm sure that nothing needs to be moved. I still need to build the transmission mount, and the Atlas support mount. I have the design in my head, I just need to pick up the material I need to build them.

Here you can kinda see the clearance issue with where the pinion yoke will be and the oil pan. I'm gonna pull the oil pan tomorrow and put it up for sale. I'll put my truck pan back on until I can buy the pan I'm gonna run.

Today I started off with mounting the seat.

Here you can see how close it is to the transmission.

Then I mounted the Wilwood brake pedal and MCs.

My motor is DBW and the stock pedal is firewall mounted, but I had to have something floor mounted. Lokar makes a floor mountable DBW pedal, but the price on it is ridiculous. So I decided to hack up my stock pedal and make it work the way I needed it to. It's not pretty, but it will get the job done.

Unread 04-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #35
jason m
your ad here...

Fancyest drive buy wire peddle ive ever seen

Progress looks great, cant wate to see what it can put down on the trail. That amount of HP in such a light rig, should do very well in the high speed stuff, if your doing that.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #36
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It is a sexy pedal ain't it? Lokar has nothing on me. Lol

I don't have any plans to race, but I'm sure this thing will see lots of throttle. I'm from TN, WFO is all we know. Lol. I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do. This will be my first V8 rig. I went from the 4 banger YJ, to a V6 buggy, and now this. Whole new ballgame here.

Unread 04-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #37
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I spent most of the day in the shop, but it doesn't feel like I got much done. I spent a lot of time just staring at it trying to figure out what's gonna go where, and how to make it fit there. Kind feel like I'm hitting a wall, but I'm not gonna give up now.

One thing I did accomplish today was finding a place for the winch and mounting it. About the only place to put it was right in front of the seat under my legs.

I made the mounts out if some 1.5" angle I had in the shop. I just had to notch it a little to clear the body of the winch. And the notched it to fit 1.5" tubing.

It's tight, but it actually fits pretty good there.

The way my knees will be bent I don't even notice it there. I can reach down under my left leg and work the clutch lever easily too. I have a narrow fairlead that I will put on the winch mount I just didn't have any socket head bolts to mount it. The rope will run right under the floor pan under my feet and through another fairlead that will mount to the tube right behind the track bar in the picture below. I think the rope will be fine running under the buggy, but if I need to I'll figure out some way to protect it.

I plan to work on it some more tomorrow. I really have no idea what I'll work on, but I'll find something I can do. This is my first time taking on a project like this, and as you can tell I don't have it very well organized. I really need to take the time to set down and make a list of things that need to be done. That way I can plan things out better and have goals to work towards.

Unread 04-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #38
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good but I have a question. Why is the "cab" leaned in on the right side and not on the left?

Sent from my XT881 freeze ray gun using JeepForum.
Unread 04-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #39
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's just the way the chassis was built. I guess it's kinda a "moon buggy" style thing. Almost every one you see is built that way.

Unread 04-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #40
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie_YJ View Post
It's just the way the chassis was built. I guess it's kinda a "moon buggy" style thing. Almost every one you see is built that way.
Ya most the moon buggies I have seen are built this way. But why are they built like this? If its for clearance than you would think the other side would be laid in also.

Sent from my XT881 freeze ray gun using JeepForum.
Unread 04-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #41
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I guess it's just because the driver and drivetrain are offset to opposite sides of the chassis. I guess the cab is leaned over so that it covers the driver, but is still compact. That's about the best answer I can come up with. Lol.

Unread 04-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #42
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Worked on this thing for a little while today. Got the orbital mount tacked in place where I "think" it needs to be. The column I had is too short so I had to order a longer one. I'm not a big fan of having the orbital so close to me, but there's nowhere else to put it.

After that I started tacking in the seatbelt mounts. After I took this picture I decided to weld the locknuts to the tabs to make them easier to remove. I didn't take pics of the rest of the tabs, but nobody cares anyway, that's boring.

After I finished the belt mounts I started working on the Atlas tail support.

Anybody see anything wrong with the way I mounted that? That's 1/4" plate for the base. Do you think it will be ok bridging that gap? It will obviously be welded on both ends, as well as to the tube running diagonally across the middle. I'm going to do the transmission mount tomorrow. I'm planning to do it pretty much the same way unless somebody talks me out of it.

Also I ordered my new wheels last week. Went with another set of Stazworks, 17"x9" with 3" BS. They said lead time would be at least 6 weeks, it's a long wait but I know they'll be worth it. It's a long way from that stage, but I think I've decided on colors too. I hate the design on the skins that came on this thing. I think I'll try to do plasti-dip on the skins in satin black, and then paint the chassis with Rustoleum hammered copper. I think that will look pretty decent.

Unread 04-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #43
jason m
your ad here...

I think that mount should work, if it took a direct hit from a pointed rock I see it moving a little. Maybe run a 1" strip of flat bar under the poly tube but not connected to it, just run it from tab to tab.
This way it cant bend the in the middle, or better yet a chunk of 1x1" tube or even round ( 1" ) from tab to tab, then at least it can survive a few hits if a rock even finds it way up in there.

( edit )
Oh looking at it again I would for sure beef it up, I thought you had it tacked to the front tube also. But I saw it one pic were its just the three, two side and that diagonal bar. I mean its still going to take a lot to bend that, but not welded to the front tube I do see it flexing there is a big span between the diagonal bar and the last point on the straight bar.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #44
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Spent a couple hours on this thing today. I had a lot of other stuff to do around the house before I go back to work tomorrow so I didn't get a lot done. About all I accomplished was cutting the pieces for the transmission mount and getting it tacked in place. It's pretty similar to the Atlas support mount.

Unfortunately progress is probably about to grind to a halt for a couple weeks. It's shutdown time at work starting Monday, and it will be a minimum of two weeks straight of 12 hr days. Most likely longer than that. Last year I worked 31 days straight. I might be able to accomplish a few things in the evenings if I'm not dead tired, but don't expect miracles.

Unread 04-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #45
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got a little time in the shop after work today. I got the protection for the Atlas sticking out of the side chassis tacked in place.

I also got the battery box where I think it's going to go. I debated whether or not to make it bolt in or just weld it. Finally decided to just weld it in. It's just tacked for now in case it needs to move though.

Due to the way the motor sits in the chassis the B-pillar brace had to be cut out. I cut and notched a piece of 1.25" tube and put the brace back in the opposite direction. I'll cut out the rest of the old brace and clean it up when I tear the chassis down.

Then I made a cardboard radiator so I could find a place to fit it. On the down tubes above the engine is pretty much my only choice. It may set a little lower than where I have it in the pics, and I'll also build a removable cage around it for protection. I also ordered the radiator from PRC today. 22"x19" is the biggest I can fit. It will be dual pass with -16 inlet/outlet, a .25" NPT bung for the steam ports, and a blank shroud so I can mount a Volvo fan. I hope that's enough to keep this thing cool.

I also decided to ditch the truck intake in favor of a LS6 intake purely to gain a little room because the truck intake is so tall. I may flip it around backwards as well. I found a used LS6 intake today, it should be here next week. I still need to do a little more reading on what style fuel rail and injectors will work best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.