Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Swingout tire carrier question...........

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  NJMike 
#1 ·
The swingouts that I have seen all have a bearing/race type setup for the pivot. Is this really necessary? Wouldn't a shaft welded into the bumper work and just use a piece of pipe to slide over the shaft and weld the carrier to it? It would be easy to drill a couple holes in the pipe and put in grease zerks if one was worried about it not operating smoothly......... Tell me how you made yours if you didn't use bearing/race........
Thanks!!

John

#2 ·
Well i think its one of things where a lot of ideas will work but you need to ask yourself if you want to do it right. I get what your saying but its like you said it just wont work as smooth and will probably vibrate and rattle around til it or something breaks.

im no engineer but thats my input.

#3 ·
The swingouts that I have seen all have a bearing/race type setup for the pivot. Is this really necessary? Wouldn't a shaft welded into the bumper work and just use a piece of pipe to slide over the shaft and weld the carrier to it? It would be easy to drill a couple holes in the pipe and put in grease zerks if one was worried about it not operating smoothly......... Tell me how you made yours if you didn't use bearing/race........
Thanks!!

John
Hello,

I have been Fabricating for 11 years, and I have built several swing out tire carriers, and they all used the bearing/race idea. I think you could do it your way but I would at the very least use a 1-1/4 or larger rod, and I would recommend using bronze bushings instead of steel on steel. If you want to Fab our own bumper but not the Bearing type hinge, there are several suppliers out there. Below is my personal Photobucket page. see toward the end I have a WJ I built for myself with a removable 1750 pound spindle hinde tire carrier. God Bless

Pictures by AnthonyPadgett-weldfab - Photobucket

#5 ·
Why bother building one when you can buy one for $30 from a trailer parts store? Hell for stout and cheap. no reason to reinvent the wheel.

The build for mine is in my signature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.