Swing out tire carrier - Rectangular vs. Triangular - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-03-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
mark02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Swing out tire carrier - Rectangular vs. Triangular

MOST of the swing out tire carriers that I've seen guys fab up are triangular. Is there any reason for this? I'm thinking about making one that's rectangular so that I can put some storage boxes inside the rectangle (probably small ammo cans) for tools, recovery straps, etc.

Is there any downside to going with a rectangle instead of a triangle? I know that it would weigh a bit more due to the extra material used for construction.

And, if any of you have done anything similar, I'd love to see pics!!!

THANKS!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-03-2009, 04:09 PM
limegreentj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

triangular is actually stronger....just because of the design....in order to make a rectangular carrier as strong as a triangular, you'd have to add bracing in the center, defeating the purpose of what you want to do, and also making it even heavier. i think if you are carrying a 32 inch or up tire you should go triangular.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-03-2009, 08:08 PM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I just do mine with the "A" frame style as it's more compact. As for strength.. I think either design (with good fit/welds) is plenty strong to hold up just about any spare tire you can hang on it. Most tire carrier (swing arm styles) failures occur at the base of the spindle.
I do like using 2x3 rectangular tube for the main swing arm as I think it looks better, gives more weld surface (at the pivot tube) and is stronger.

If you do the square style, use 2"x3"x1/8" wall for the main arm and 2"x2"x1/8" wall for the rest of it.. it should be okay as long as the welds are good.

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

this is a crappy drawing of what I plan to build. Swingaway with mounts for hi-lift and hopefully room for 2 jerry cans.

post #5 of 7 Old 10-04-2009, 06:27 AM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadymi View Post
this is a crappy drawing of what I plan to build. Swingaway with mounts for hi-lift and hopefully room for 2 jerry cans.

I don't think you'll have enough room to build it like that. The Hi Lift Jack alone will span the entire rear of the Jeep. A pair of gas cans mounted in that direction will also span over 30".

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

post #6 of 7 Old 10-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

From Mr. Beserk I don't think you'll have enough room to build it like that. The Hi Lift Jack alone will span the entire rear of the Jeep. A pair of gas cans mounted in that direction will also span over 30".

As many as you have built, I will defer to your expertise. It is just a design I have been floating in my head. (lots of room in there) I havn't got to the point of doing any measuring yet. I may also mount the hi-lift along the swing arm also. If I can only fit one can so be it. Most of our trips around here are single daytrips so I probably don't have a big need for spare gas. Always like to be prepared though.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
mark02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies!! Hopefully I'll be buying and cutting square tube tomorrow for this project and my buddy can get it welded up for me. I'll post pics when it's done.

After that... then I can finish my ammo can console, then my in-cab winch wiring, then install my axles that I bought over the Summer, then my modified rear seat, then.....

WOW! I LOVE MY JEEP!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.