Swing out tire carrier moding - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 04-11-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Digger838
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Swing out tire carrier moding

So ever since I got my used smittybilt SRC rear bumper with tire carrier, the thing has been kind of a pain, keeping the carrier lubed up is fine but the grease gets full of crap and ends up binding up, 3 hours of disassembly, cleaning and reassembly and it's smooth again.

I've been toying around the idea of putting bearings on the shaft and replacing the carrier mounting flange with a slightly larger diameter piece of tubing to have a nice smooth opening of the carrier every time year in and year out.

Has anyone attempted this? I know there are kits to make my own swing out, would that be an easier rout? ( to just cut off the stub and weld on a new spindle made for the bearing ?)

Oh, it's on a 14' jku with only 33" tires
And I have minor metal fab skills and tools
(Mostly welding up old dump truck parts)

Any input is welcome and constructive criticism is a must!!! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-09-2017, 04:12 AM
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger838
So ever since I got my used smittybilt SRC rear bumper with tire carrier, the thing has been kind of a pain, keeping the carrier lubed up is fine but the grease gets full of crap and ends up binding up, 3 hours of disassembly, cleaning and reassembly and it's smooth again. I've been toying around the idea of putting bearings on the shaft and replacing the carrier mounting flange with a slightly larger diameter piece of tubing to have a nice smooth opening of the carrier every time year in and year out. Has anyone attempted this? I know there are kits to make my own swing out, would that be an easier rout? ( to just cut off the stub and weld on a new spindle made for the bearing ?) Oh, it's on a 14' jku with only 33" tires And I have minor metal fab skills and tools (Mostly welding up old dump truck parts) Any input is welcome and constructive criticism is a must!!! Thanks
I think most responses you'll get on JF would be not to bother. Pull the bumper off, clean it up, and sell it. Take the money and get better product. The quality of Smittybilt stuff isn't exactly stellar. I did have an XRC swing out on my TJ back in the day and was happy with it. It held its own with a 35" tire, but I was probably the exception to the rule. Just my opinion.

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.