Swing away bumper i made...not finished - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Swing away bumper i made...not finished

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 09-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
squigy123

Swing away bumper i made...not finished

Hello all

Just figured i would post up 2 pics of my swing away bumper i made. I would say im about 80% done in these pics. Im gonna raise the plate that holds the wheel studs up about 1.5" up. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Enjoy

PS. This is my first real welding project.

squigy123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
CJ7Pilot

Looks good!

As long as you're relocating the tire mount, you might consider welding a 2" receiver tube right on the top of that thing, and set up your tire carrier plate to slide in to that receiver.

That will raise it about the amount you're looking for, and make it easy to change things around down the road.

Good work!
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
squigy123

Its gonna move up 1.5" but i didnt want to do the reciever method because i wanted to have the least amount of vibes and rattles coming from it. If i go bigger ill just modify the top to fit and weld it solid again.
Unread 09-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good!..now head up to Wopsohonik mountain and hit the trails and quarrys and see how she holds up!..lol

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
CJ7Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigy123 View Post
Its gonna move up 1.5" but i didnt want to do the reciever method because i wanted to have the least amount of vibes and rattles coming from it. If i go bigger ill just modify the top to fit and weld it solid again.
There are plenty of fixes for a rattling receiver, but I won't go on about it... you clearly know what you want, and know what you're doing.

What are you using for a latch? It looks like you've got it set up for a wing-bolt or something, which I always thought would be a simple, and durable way to go.
Unread 09-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
squigy123

Yea im using a big allen bolt with a piece of solid bar attached to the end. Read to much about other latch style failures so i went with the stupid proof method. It was part of a to z fabs kit. Came with spindle, wheel studs, the latch pieces.

The final product does not open that far either. I added a stop to it now. That was just my first test fit putting the upper and lower half together. my 4 tacks on the wheel plate are holding up my 33 btw. i was rather impress with that.
Unread 09-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Looks great ! Be sure and post more pictures.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.