SWAG tailgate and tub mounted tire carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > SWAG tailgate and tub mounted tire carrier

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

SWAG tailgate and tub mounted tire carrier

A few days ago I installed my SWAG tailgate, the installation is pretty straightforward so I won't get into that. I needed a place to haul my tire, and got the idea from another forum member to reuse the latch that came with the kit for the tire carrier.

After a few days planning in my head I decided to go for it. I had a useless engine stand that I've been cannibalizing steel from, and I "saw" my hinges in the square tubing. Here is a photo walk through of what was done.

I will end up remaking the hinges so they're a bit beefier and I'm able to use bushings. Right now they are 1/2" grade 8, but I'd like to use bronze bushings to reduce the resistance. The whole assembly does not rattle one bit, but later I will install the rubber bumpers to the carrier to make things tighter.

The SWAG kit is awesome, and Troy is a great guy to deal with. Hopefully in the future he can produce something like this.

(Don't mind the camo... I'm working on suppressing my inner redneck!! )

Anyway, here are the pics

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
AstroZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would be worried about the stock tire carrier (looks like you bolted it onto your tire carrier frame) being made from Pot Steel and not being able to actually carry the 35" tire without cracking. The frame looks great though. How did you handle the latch?
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
rnorma1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice!!

I haven't started on mine but I do have the steel sitting in the garage!

I ended up getting 1x2 stock like you used but for the hinge shells I got 2x3 by 1/4" thick. It's way over kill for the application but the 2" wide tubing will fit in the 3" wide outer hinge and leave 1/2 inch of free play inside. Then you can use standard 1/4" thick bronze bushings on each side of the 2" wide stuff. Should make for a very solid hinge. Plus, you can pick the bushings up at any hardware store.

Yours looks great!!

As far as the stock tire hanger being weak...it is but the cool thing is that you can pick up stronger ones that are designed to bolt into the stock holes for pretty cheap. So if this one starts cracking up, you can put a new one on without having to drill new holes!!!

Great job man!
rnorma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdangerp View Post
I would be worried about the stock tire carrier (looks like you bolted it onto your tire carrier frame) being made from Pot Steel and not being able to actually carry the 35" tire without cracking. The frame looks great though. How did you handle the latch?
Thanks! The tire is just a 31" factory spare. I have 33's on the Jeep now but will be going back to 31's the next set of tires I get. The carrier is pretty strong, but I'll be checking it often for cracks or distortion.

The latch was what came with the swag tailgate kit to hold the passengers side of the tailgate. Mine fit tight so I decided to reuse it for the carrier. The end of the tube is capped and I pressed a bronze bushing in that the latch slides into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorma1 View Post
Nice!!

I haven't started on mine but I do have the steel sitting in the garage!

I ended up getting 1x2 stock like you used but for the hinge shells I got 2x3 by 1/4" thick. It's way over kill for the application but the 2" wide tubing will fit in the 3" wide outer hinge and leave 1/2 inch of free play inside. Then you can use standard 1/4" thick bronze bushings on each side of the 2" wide stuff. Should make for a very solid hinge. Plus, you can pick the bushings up at any hardware store.

Yours looks great!!

As far as the stock tire hanger being weak...it is but the cool thing is that you can pick up stronger ones that are designed to bolt into the stock holes for pretty cheap. So if this one starts cracking up, you can put a new one on without having to drill new holes!!!

Great job man!
Exactly! I bought bushings but my scrap tubing for the hinges wasn't big enough. I'll do them over soon, this just allows me to carry a tire now. It is plenty strong, I can sit on it and it doesn't sag (180lbs) Thanks again for the kind words, I appreciate it.

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
Unread 04-04-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good!

I wouldn't worry about the stock tire carrier bracket,they are pretty stout the way they are bent and designed..it's not the bracket that was weak on these jeeps,,it's the tailgate itself that takes a serious beating and bending with bigger tires on them.
For a little insurance you can add another 2 bolts to it on the carrier bracket..1 in between the 2 already there.

I would aslo maybe add some stiffener bracketry on the inside of the tub where the latch and hinges are so it will prevent any possible stress and bending on the tub itself.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
rlockwood

EXACTLY the design I have in mind, except planning on an aluminum frame. Did you do anything to tie the upper hinge to the roll cage? Or figure you're within weight limits having lost the tailgate weight?
rlockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words. After driving to work and hitting a bunch of bumps, there are some rattles, but once I get some rubber bumpers back there all will be well. I'm also thinking of boxing in the stock tire carrier and using it as storage for my tow strap (if I can roll it to fit in such a small space)

rlockwood, Yeah I figure I'm within the limits of the tub since I lost the weight of the tailgate. Any larger of a tire and I'd add some material to the tub.

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
rnorma1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the update about the rattles. I picked up a bunch of 1" tall rubber bumpers to put in place of the giant rubber bumpers already on the tail gate. I'll space the frame away from the body in such away that when closed, it will be pressed firmly against the bumpers. Hopefully that will keep the rattles away.

Here's the bumpers I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Repla...#ht_2593wt_754
rnorma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZombie View Post
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words. After driving to work and hitting a bunch of bumps, there are some rattles, but once I get some rubber bumpers back there all will be well. I'm also thinking of boxing in the stock tire carrier and using it as storage for my tow strap (if I can roll it to fit in such a small space)

rlockwood, Yeah I figure I'm within the limits of the tub since I lost the weight of the tailgate. Any larger of a tire and I'd add some material to the tub.
Have you thought about adding a basket over the top for a small can of gas, or other light things? It might be welded to the top rail...????

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

bump for others

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
Have you thought about adding a basket over the top for a small can of gas, or other light things? It might be welded to the top rail...????
Thanks for the bump, I have been busy with my hot rod addiction recently and haven't been following this thread. I do want to add something that will allow some sort of storage. I made a hitch mounted rack that I use if I'm camping with the family and need to put the seat in the Jeep. But until I remake the body side hinges to accommodate the bronze bushings I'll keep it like it is.

Also, everything is still holding up well, for those of you thinking about going this route.

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
Unread 04-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
nniemczyk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like the camo.

Edit: The word censored is a synonym for a cat.
nniemczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's been awhile since I've been on this forum. I recently had back surgery and am on the mend right now. Just wanted to report that the tire carrier is still holding up well! Has anyone else gone this route? If so, please post pictures! I won't take offense to the hijack, I'm interested to see what others have come up with.

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Don't have much to add about the carrier but just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery from the back surgery..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.