suspension setup question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > suspension setup question

Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved d

Unread 01-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
dirt68

I just bought a 46 cj2a. It has a buick v6 and small lift with 31" tires. I was wondering what would be, in your opinion, the best suspenion setup for a desert cruiser. We just drive thru the desert exploring and looking for old mines and cool places. I dont care about going fast or major rock crawling. Just looking for the smoothest ride and being able to get to those out of the way places. Price is also a factor as im not a rich guy just a construction worker and ex metal fabricator.

Last edited by dirt68; 01-22-2013 at 02:56 AM..
dirt68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

There are a lot of variables that would determine what is "best".. what tools/experience you have to work with, budget, condition of vehicle....etc. Lots of stuff to consider.

You mentioned that the rig already has a suspension kit installed. Why not just run it "as-is"? Seems like you already have a pretty good start for exploring the desert backcountry with the 31" tires and lift kit.

I'd work on making it as reliable as possible, able to carry some extra water/fuel.. and basic trail/survival gear.. and go have fun with it.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
dirt68

My reason for asking is I just had back surgery last month. this is my first jeep. Ive had every other kind of off road toy at one time or another in the last 40 years of off roading but not a Jeep. Now with my back issues I was wondering if anybody knew of any leaf spring and shock combo that gives a nice soft ride off road. I dont really plan on driving the Jeep on the street.

As far as fabrication. I have a backround in metal fabricating. id feel very comfortable welding new spring perches or whatever else in needed. Ive build a few Baja bugs and dune buggies over the years.

I totally agree with you on getting it as reliable as possible. I plan on going thru the whole thing before I take it out. I learned from my old man you can never be to prepared. Im also welding up a trailer for it to haul water, gas, tent,and supplies.
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I run Rubicon Express 4" Standard YJ Springs and Rancho RSX9000 shocks on my CJ5.. it is probably the smoothest riding "short Jeep" I've rode in.

Just as important as suspension.. seats. Might want to look into a good pair of suspension seats.. PRPs, Beard, Mastercraft.. etc.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
dirt68

Thanks. Ill definatly look into that setup. And yes suspension seats are a must for me no matter what im building.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.