suspension conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > suspension conversion

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 07-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
huntermett
1965 CJ6 

suspension conversion

how labor intensive is it to convert a leaf sprung jeep to a coil spring system . I ask this to satisfy a curiosity I have about the fabrication aspect of the conversion

huntermett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Specifics will depends on the axles and Jeep model but in general you'll need either new axles that are already setup with coil buckets, LCA and UCA mounts, and shock mounts or you'll need to cut the mounts off the existing axles and weld in new mounts for the coils, shocks, and control arms. You'll also need coils, shocks, both control arms, as well as body side mounts. That's more or less the minimum stuff you'll need assuming you simply go with basic coils and shocks and not coilovers, struts, ect. And that doesn't touch on changes to steering setups since that'll be dependent on what Jeep model you're talking about.

If you're not even sure how labor intensive it is you're probably not capable of just fabbing up what you need and calculating suspension geometry with no experience and would likely be better off with a conversion kit. It's a pretty expensive and difficult undertaking if it's not something you're already familiar with.
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
huntermett
1965 CJ6 

Abilty is not a problem just knowing what needs to be done and is it practical on a early model cj 6
huntermett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Without knowing your fabrication experience/ability, tools at your disposal..etc., I'd say the best way to get an idea of what's needed.. is to roll up under a TJ and take a look at how everything is set up. Then, duplicate that under the CJ.

Having said that, I don't think I'd bother with converting a CJ6, unless you just had $$$ to burn and wanted to do a "unique" project for your own personal satisfaction.

These kinds of conversions typically go 1 of 2 ways.. They either make the Jeep "cool" and capable, or they ruin it.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.