Summer project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Summer project

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 03-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
vegetablegod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Summer project

One of my buddies hooked me up with a homemade roof rack for free, but it could use a lot of work. I have not fabricated before, but I am thinking this rack would be a good way to teach myself to weld since its all bolted together.

I have two questions...

This is a good welder to learn with?

And since I do not have the tools to bend and cut metal what are a good set of pre-made gutter mounts I could weld to this rack?

RC 3" series II AAL | RCX wheels | Kumho Road Venture MTs | RC Steering Stabilizer | Sony CD | Sony 6.5" speakrs | Audiobhan 10" bass tube | FM Super 40 | 20% tint | XJ leather seat swap | JCR Pre-Runner Winch Bumer | JCR stage II rear bumper.
vegetablegod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i personaly wouildnt buy a welder from harbor freight you will not be happy with it it will make it hard to learn how to weld keep an eye out for welders on craigs list an old stick machine shouldnt run too much
Ordinary cars lie to you. They tell you that everything is controlled, warm, safe, smooth ---- we know this is a general falsehood. There is extreme beauty in the world and the best way to find it is to be out in it --- all the way. In a Jeep. Cause you can't get there in a Camry.
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
hendu3270
2007 JK Wrangler 

Get ready, you're gonna get several replys concerning that welder and any other welder from HF being crap. I'll agree, they're not the best out there but they'll work fine for small jobs such as yours. That welder WILL do the job you are currently needing done and I would think it wouldn't be a bad choice for learning the basics. Plus, if you find out welding isn't quite for you, then you're not out alot of coin. At the moment, I have the 90 amp flux core HF welder, (I'm "eyeing" the Lincoln Mig 140 at Lowes though). It to, would do the job you have in front of you. I personally like wire feed welders better than stick welders, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are easier to use or learn on, it's just what I'm used to using. Keep in mind that the HF welder in your link might not be the best choice if you are planning some larger mods on your rig down the road, (it definitely has its limits). I bought mine knowing that I would be buying a bigger, better, name brand welder in the future. I just had some wrought iron fencing at the daycare my wife works at that I was asked to repair and couldn't afford one of the big boys at the time. Good luck with your project
hendu3270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.