Suggestions for Model 32 set up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Suggestions for Model 32 set up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineLabor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Suggestions for Model 32 set up

I treated myself with a couple of new additions to my hobbyist tool arsenal this Christmas and am looking for some suggestions. I picked up the HD press brake from SWAG to go with my 20T HF shop press. Its all welded up and ready to go - been messing with it a bit and it seems to be a great product, standing up to its claims. What I am seeking input on is the set up for the Model 32 manual bender I also got from JD2. I have plenty of 2x4 1/8 rectangle laying around and had planned on making a floor mounted pedestal for it. In the time between ordering it and receiving it, I had a change of heart and now think it would be best to wait and set it up with an 8T air/hydraulic ram in a vertical bending orientation. I think the mobility option and less space required for long pieces would be a great plus. For those with a few hundred bends under their belt, it is worth waiting to go with air/hydraulic from the get go, or should I just stick with the traditional floor mount and get to bending and learning? Thanks for any input or ideas!

Unread 01-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

By all means... get the ram. The 8T rams are cheap... and since you're gonna be building a mount, do the upgrade now. Well worth the effort.

I built a few cages using the "Armstrong" method and it gets old real quick.. especially on hot summer days.

I did hundreds (if not thousands) of bends using a 8Ton air/hydro ram. Matter of fact, I wore one out and bought a replacement. Finally went elec/hydro.. can do a 180deg bend in less than a minute..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Eddie, I thought after very little time I would probably be wishing I had set it up with something other than "arm" power. I wouldn't be able to leave it floor mounted either so the daily set up/tear down would probably get old. You wouldn't happen to have a ram changeover kit for the model 32 in the Groundpounder catalog would ya?
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Don't have anything for the ram setup. There are a bunch of designs/plans floating around the internet though..

My own bender is set up for vertical bending. However, I've been wanting to make a "rotatable" head that allows both vertical and horizontal bending... using a pull pin to unlock and rotate the head..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I've seen a few of the ram kits that are available - I like to give you my business whenever possible, so it never hurts to check.

I'm sure you already have something in mind for your idea of rotating the bender to both vertical and horizontal planes - how about something simple like the way some trailer tongue jacks work? Two short pieces of tube, one inside the other, with holes indexed in each other to pin and whatever location you wanted.
Unread 01-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

i don't have hundreds of bends up my belt, but have used both a manual bender, a manual hyrdo jack bender, and an air/hydro. Air over hydro is well worth it IMO. i do plan on electric/hydro conversion to my bender at some point. i have a Pro tools 105HD bender with a copperhead fab air/hydro mount kit on it and i love it. i with i could get more bend in a single stroke however. i can only single stroke about a 50* bend. but it sure beats the heck out of the arm strong method.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

As for the elec/hydro setups. I have the "single stage" ram (SPX) with the JD2 power unit. Paid nearly $1K for the hydro power pack. I've had a few insues with it blowing out Orings under the valve block. It only pushes about 55deg before needing to repin.

If I were going to do it again, I'd pick up a cheap long travel (like 24") ram with power extend/retract and run a regular hydro unit with a log splitter valve.. maybe use a "dual stage" pump for "no load" speed combined with "oomph" when it encounters resistance.

The log splitter valve on my pressbrake even has the reverse detent. It allows you to kick the thing into reverse.. and it automatically pops into neutral when fully retracted.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Eddie, you've got my wheels turning now talking about elec/hydro and such! Unfortunately, that usually means a lighter wallet! Maybe I should just stick to the plan and let it bring in a little $$$ to offset what it cost so far before I think about the expensive upgrades. Air/hydro is cheap enough, but a nice hydro pump sure would be nice.
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If you work it right, you should be able to build it for air/hydro now.. and swap out with a regular hydro cylinder later on down the road..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's the plan. When I get around to it, I'll post up some info and pics here in the Fab forum and hopefully any lack of foresight on my part can be eliminated.
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
LJWrangler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
I treated myself with a couple of new additions to my hobbyist tool arsenal this Christmas and am looking for some suggestions. I picked up the HD press brake from SWAG to go with my 20T HF shop press. Its all welded up and ready to go - been messing with it a bit and it seems to be a great product, standing up to its claims. What I am seeking input on is the set up for the Model 32 manual bender I also got from JD2. I have plenty of 2x4 1/8 rectangle laying around and had planned on making a floor mounted pedestal for it. In the time between ordering it and receiving it, I had a change of heart and now think it would be best to wait and set it up with an 8T air/hydraulic ram in a vertical bending orientation. I think the mobility option and less space required for long pieces would be a great plus. For those with a few hundred bends under their belt, it is worth waiting to go with air/hydraulic from the get go, or should I just stick with the traditional floor mount and get to bending and learning? Thanks for any input or ideas!
Heres how I have mine set-up it has a square top with the Die side in the corner. I have been able to bend a few sets of Apehanger Bars with it like this.
bender.jpg  
SILVER JEEP CLUB #71

My Build [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-06-lj-build-1449774/[/url]
LJWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Build you a little cart. Air/hydro is the best. Check out the top of the pic. Red cart.
image.jpg  
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #13
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJWrangler View Post
Heres how I have mine set-up it has a square top with the Die side in the corner. I have been able to bend a few sets of Apehanger Bars with it like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedlou View Post
Build you a little cart. Air/hydro is the best. Check out the top of the pic. Red cart.
Thanks to both of y'all for the pics! I notice that both of you left the bender in a horizontal orientation on your cart. I really don't have space issues, but have thought mounting it vertical couldn't hurt in the event I end up in someone else's shop that may be lacking on floor space for longer bends. I think horizontal may make it a bit easier to "visualize" your bends as you work them out. What do you all think?
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
LJWrangler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Only problem with vert is sometimes the way I have to start my bends is with 8ft of tubing sticking out and if your shop ceiling is only 10 ft you might have a problem. If all you do is short tubing then your good but some of the tubes I bend are cut at 10-14 ft to start (chassis floors). I like elec/hydro more precise
SILVER JEEP CLUB #71

My Build [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-06-lj-build-1449774/[/url]
LJWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I've bent quite a bit of tube over the years.. so it's pretty easy for me to "visualize" how I'm going to go about it, whether it's gonna hit the ceiling (not likely with my 18ft ceiling), floor, bender, or clear the die....etc.

However, one of the best tools I ever picked up to help me with bending.. was BendTech. I got the BendTech ProSE version about 6-7 years ago. It's saved me alot of tubing and is very helpful when laying out difficult bends.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.