Stripped Torx Bolts... Now What? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Stripped Torx Bolts... Now What?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 04-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #16
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpszczolkowski View Post
I agree with using a torch to heat up the bolts to a nice glow, then trying the bolts after they cool a bit. Also a lot of thread-lock is deactivated by heat. That's how I got the Torx bolts holding the flex plate/flywheel onto my 2.8l CRD engine off without ruining them.
I usually torch the bolt till its a dark cherry then as it cools, spray some Sili-kroil or pb blast on the threads. When it cools, it will wick the penetrant down the threads.

Unread 04-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #17
edpszczolkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by athos76 View Post

I usually torch the bolt till its a dark cherry then as it cools, spray some Sili-kroil or pb blast on the threads. When it cools, it will wick the penetrant down the threads.
I always figured that when you spray anything onto a hot bolt like that, it would just evaporate from the high heat. Maybe I'll give it a shot next time a bolt really fights me.
edpszczolkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #18
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also the heat and cool cycle will often break the bond the rust has created.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #19
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I tried the easy out method, that was a spectacular fail. Finally ground off the liner that was on the bolts and welded a nut or bolt to the top and ran it out that way. Got them all out yesterday. Replaced with grade 8 hex in the stock location until I get the chance to fit the cage sitting in my basement.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.