Stripped Torx Bolts... Now What? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Stripped Torx Bolts... Now What?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #1

Stripped Torx Bolts... Now What?

I recently traded my half doors for some full doors. Im going to be painting the new full doors myself soon. On the driver side door the door is positioned to far towards the front of the jeep so it is slightly causing the window from to bow out when it is shut and you have to slam it harder than the passenger door that fits perfect. I started trying to remove my torx bolts on my door hinges and guess what??? they stripped... so ive been trying everything... ive come to this. I used a 1/4" bit to drill out the 5/16" torx bolts. It got the head off but a then shell of the acutual bolt is still left in the door thread plate. How do i remove these shells with out damaging the threads?

As you can see, the top bolt never stripped and came out fine...the bottom two bolts stripped and have been drilled out with the 1/4" bit with that thin shell still left in the threads.

424031 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

You can buy a bolt extractor kit or just drill and tap the holes to the correct size.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

For future reference, You may also be able to spot weld a nut tthrough the hole in the nut o the top of the bolt left in the door. Gives you a bite for a 6point wrench and the heat of the welding can help to unsieze the bolt.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
comeoutswingin
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I personally have zero luck with screw extractors. As mentioned before I weld a bolt/nut to the stripped out one and usually they come right out pretty easy.
comeoutswingin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Another route would be a left handed drill bit. Drill in and pretty good chance the remaining threads will come out with the shavings
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
wickedwj99
1999 WJ 

Or you could use a bigger flex bit and hammer it in and extract it like that. I use craftsman easy outs most of the time or Irwin easy outs.
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
wickedwj99
1999 WJ 

Torx bit
Unread 03-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
macgulley
1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-pc-...p-00952154000P
macgulley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Make sure you replace the damn bolts with hex head too. I've tossed out every torx bolt I've pulled out of any of my Jeeps.
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
predat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbillups View Post

As you can see, the top bolt never stripped and came out fine...the bottom two bolts stripped and have been drilled out with the 1/4" bit with that thin shell still left in the threads.
how steady are you with an angle grinder? I've had this issue too, and I used a cutoff wheel to dig in a deep enough channel to use a large flathead, but not too deep as to bite the surrounding metal. If you need further torque on the screwdriver, use vice grips and a cheater bar. Did this for about 10 of the torx bolts when I rescued my YJ from her previous owner, and they all came out without damaging threads in the mounting plates.
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

If you go the route above, take some acetone and ATF and mix it 50/50 in a spray bottle (chemical resistant, HD, Lowes, ect sells them cheap). Spray it in before you try to remove the bolts and it works better than any penetrating oil you can buy. Just make sure you clean up well after and don't store it near any heat sources because acetone is extremely flammable. Like friction will ignite it flammable.
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you're painting the doors anyway, use an oxy acetylene torch with a small rosebud. Once it's hot, use a bolt extractor or take a torx bit that is 1 size larger and hammer it in so it bites. It should come right out.

OR

If you weld, take a nut and put it over the head. Essentially it's just a plug weld inside of it. the heat from the weld and the extra face with a wrench on it should allow it to come right out.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #13

i just heated the bolts up with my propane torch for the ones that werent stripped yet, i drilled out the others
424031 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #14
predat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbillups View Post
i just heated the bolts up with my propane torch for the ones that werent stripped yet, i drilled out the others
problem solved! Good job
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
edpszczolkowski

I agree with using a torch to heat up the bolts to a nice glow, then trying the bolts after they cool a bit. Also a lot of thread-lock is deactivated by heat. That's how I got the Torx bolts holding the flex plate/flywheel onto my 2.8l CRD engine off without ruining them.
edpszczolkowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.