Stick weld or MIG weld? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Stick weld or MIG weld?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 08-19-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
theboxman71
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Stick weld or MIG weld?

Just wondering the opinions of guys who have used both and which is easier or better for a beginner???

I have some body rot that I was planning to rivet in new metal, but I have heard about welding it as well...

Is the investment worth it??? 200 to 500 bucks or more for the equipment, plus lack of experience...
or should i just use pop rivets , seam sealer , and lots of Herc and be done with it?

Hears some pics of what I am looking at...

THX...

dscf0019.jpg   dscf0028.jpg  
theboxman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
z71offroader

i have a mig welder and love it. ive used sticks many of times as well. i prefer a mig over a stick becuase there is no slag after the weld to be chipped off. also it is easier to use a mig over a stick, esp in ur case where there might be alot of tack welding to be done.

but a mig will cost u more money along with the gas that u will have to refill eventually. i have the best lincoln that home depot and lowes sells, forget the model number, and it has worked great for me, didnt cost too much and is small so it doesnt take up too much space, ive used millers many of times and are probably a better welder but cost alot more for one of there full size setups.
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
theboxman71
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did u learn on your own? also what do you mean by tack weld?

THX again
Unread 08-19-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
z71offroader

i did teach my self at the beginning but a year later i took welding at school and i took it again the next year. BTW im only 18 now and i started welding when i was 15.

tack weld is where u put only one spot welded, sometimes its also called a spot weld. usally are only 1/4" round, but depends on the thickness of the metal and such. a bead is where u would run a weld across to any lenght.
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
Unread 08-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
rbn1357

Go with a Mig welder. I have been welding for two years and worked with both systems.

Stick requires more technique and is very frusterating. It burns though metal and is hard to work with when the metal is not parallel to the floor.

Mig on the other hand is almost as easy as point and shoot. Pay attention to arc lenght and amps. If you need a crash course, PM
rbn1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
jipjip

tack welding is what you do to hold the piece of metal in place while you run a whole bead down afterwards. if you didn't tack it first, the metal would have to be held in place for a long time, and could move while your welding.
i would advise using a mig if your welding sheet metal. stick welders have some serious penetration, but they have no gas hook up to keep the metal cool. so this causes it to actually burn through thinner metals. a mig has the gas to prevent this, or they also use fluxed wire. a stick welder doesn't have these options, so your better off just going w/ the mig anyway.
good luck, wanna see finished project pics afterwards!!!
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 09:54 PM   #7
theboxman71
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ahhh , I get it...i just need to decide if its worth the investment$$$

THX guys
...still leaning towards the pop rivets though...anyone use them?
Unread 08-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #8
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxman71

THX guys
only trouble w/ pop riveting plates in the tub, is it will weaken the structural strength of the tub....this will cause all kinds of problems in the future, like bending the tub, pulling out body mounts, and causing the body panels to flex excessively to the point where they will bend and bow.
best bet, buy the welder, and weld the new plates in. you will be better off in the long run.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
theboxman71
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i think u maybe right>>>THX

Unread 08-19-2006, 10:24 PM   #10
z71offroader

ive used rivots before, they hold on my diamondplate panels and they work well for that. but for ur flooring i would rather have them welded. not only will it be stronger but u can make it smoother and have it where u would have never known it was replaced.

Unread 08-19-2006, 10:48 PM   #11
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hopefully without boring you with a long story, I've been welding for ~34 years. Some of it as a profession building off-road racers, ships, truck bodies, and as a hobby. Most recently just as a hooby though since I don't work for Rancho or Mickey Thompson anymore.

Anyway, for a beginner, especially if you are going to try to teach yourself, a little 110V MIG welder will do the trick for small jobs. If you stick with it - it may not be long before you wish you had a 220V welder.

I just sold my 110V Hobart Handler 135 last weekend or else I'd offer it to you. It's not that I didn't use it any more - it's just that not too long ago I finally bought my own 220V MillerMatic 175 and I didn't use the Hobart much anymore. I got kinda tired of borrowing friends' 220V welders and now that I'm not in the off-road business anymore - I don't have access to all the nice stuff we had in the Rancho or Mickey Thompson shops.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2006, 01:45 AM   #12
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

the gas is for shielding the molten weld from contaminates and has nothing to do with, "keeping it cool."

under the circumstances of needing to get the job done before it gets worse, combined with lack of years of experince, get a small mig machine and do a series of tack welds.

doing a line of continuous tacks (on a high setting) on both sides will penetrate fine enough and keep from buring through. grind and line and noone will ever know.

tip on herculining: fill in the stiffening channels in the floor, particularly under the rollbar mounts, with bondo before you line it. water and crap gets channeled under the mount and festers in there.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #13
ncjeepinyj

Quote:

THX guys

A welder is definately worth the investment especially since you own a jeep or any off road vehicle for that matter. You will always find uses for it so i wouldnt look at it like a purchase for a one time use. I also agree that a mig would be best for what your needs seem to be. I learned to weld with a stick welder but like stated before, it can easily burn holes in thinner metal but i love them for welding thick stuff.
Unread 08-24-2006, 07:37 PM   #14
STUFF
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just wondering the opinions of guys who have used both and which is easier or better for a beginner???

I have some body rot that I was planning to rivet in new metal, but I have heard about welding it as well...

Is the investment worth it??? 200 to 500 bucks or more for the equipment, plus lack of experience...
or should i just use pop rivets , seam sealer , and lots of Herc and be done with it?

Hears some pics of what I am looking at...

THX...
I 2 have been welding 4 many years. A welder is always a good investment(in my opinion), go with the mig. First, I'd cut away the thin, rusty stuff(or it'll spread) and remove some of the paint around the hole and look 4 cracks(which is something that rivets can't fix). Drill a hole @ the end of any cracks B4 welding,otherwise they'll continue 2 crack. It would be wise 2 get some scrap material 2 experiment with(16 or maybe 14 gauge),so U can get the welder set right. Stitch welding will help control warping considerably("stitch"welds R several short welds, instead of long continuous welds),or U can make lot's of 'hot' tacks. I know U didn't ask 4 all of this, but I hope it helps.
Unread 08-24-2006, 09:20 PM   #15
YJ-Mike

I would second what Joe said above. I initially purchased a 110v MIG, and it wasn't long before I was wanting something bigger because of its' limitations. So I did a bunch of looking around, and went with a Lincoln PM215. It has the capacity to do up to 1/2" in a single pass, which is more than I will ever need.

If it is in your budget, go with a 220V right away, that way you won't be selling your 110V for much less than you paid, like I did.

Also, check out the forums at weldingweb.com for a lot of help on technique, etc.

Mike

2006 TJ X (Stock - w/ Borla Cat-Back Exhaust)

Built a YJ from the ground up:

- '04 4.0L (4,000 miles), NV3550 (0 miles), NP231 w/ HD SYE (9,000 miles), 33x12.50x15 Pro-Comp AT's, HP D30/8.8 (4.56 gears), ARB Lockers front and rear w/ compressor, hard/soft tops, full/half doors.
-----> Build thread can be read here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-build-plan-259306/
YJ-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.