Steel security cage - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Steel security cage

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, lately that's been on my mind. My shop isn't in the best part of town and I'm in it at some late hours by myself. I've had a few people come up asking for gas "aka crack" money. Normally I lock myself inside while I'm working... Hell, your not aware of your surroundings when you're welding or grinding.

Unread 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

When someone comes up to the shop that I don't recognize (and they're not driving a Jeep), I get my son's attention and we both focus on the person until we determine they're not a threat.

I also built a chain fence to go across the bay door so nobody can run into the shop and catch us by surprise.. again.

Whenever one of us walks outside, the other stands watch until we determine the parking lot area is clear.

It might sound like paranoia, but it has become automatic for us and doesn't really hamper production. The robbery taught me that "it can happen to anyone.. anytime." It sucked looking down the barrel of a gun but it was a good learning lesson..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I hope you got your insurance in order before the break in. Thieves suck.

I rent a shop from my boss- 40X80, but as we are a steel company servicing Chicago we are not exactly in the best part of town. Ok the whole town sucks and we are in the worst of it. Our facility has been broken into at least once a year since I have worked there AND we have 24/7 security guards, 6' chain link fence with barbed wire as well as 4 DVRs and over 40 IR cameras. The rent is cheap though, and my building is close to the front gate where we have a guard 24/7. I still have my own security system- 4 cameras and DVR with battery backup. I have several cars in there as well as my Jeeps- but it is not a business. My tools are all locked up (in lockers, LOL) when I am not there. The DVR monitor is next to a dummy PC (the one I use to look up stuff when working in the shop, it hooked up to the same monitor via a swith box)... The actual DVR PC is locked in a steel box disguised as an electrical panel.
I mostly have my security system in case one of the 150+ employees decides to break in and steal stuff. The shop works 3 shifts so there are people coming and going all dayand night. I don't work on anything or sell anything- it is just my toy shop, but I do have probably $5k in tools and many times that in vehicles in there...
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.