Started my winch bumper - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Started my winch bumper

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 03-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #31
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a pic of my design. Like I said it is entirely 1/4 plate. Here a link also to the folder with a bunch of pics as I was building it.
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...to_gus/pssmag/

Photog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #32
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Anymore opinions on the D-rings? Bolts are directly above and below. I'm not worried about my welds holding.
jasonswelding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #33
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well... I couldn't leave it alone.

Weld in 45's

Welded out

And finished

Added the hoop and changed the D-ring mount. Now they are cut into the face of the bumper. They are welded to the 1/4 plate and the 3/16 on both sides.
Unread 07-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #34
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That really looks good! I like how you tied the hoop into the vetical winch plate for reinforcement.

Did I miss it? Source for weld-in 45's?
Unread 07-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #35
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
That really looks good! I like how you tied the hoop into the vetical winch plate for reinforcement.

Did I miss it? Source for weld-in 45's?
Local welding supply. The small pipe has 90's on each end, cut to the angle I needed. You can probably find them somewhere on the web. Really common for pipe welding.
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #36
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jason, that is one great looking bumper!!! I really like the lines of the bumper... truly an awesome DIY project that surpasses anything that I have seen on the market. If you ever get into "bumper building", sent me a post. I have a 92 YJ that is in need of a front bumper.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #37
papa355
1977 CJ7 

nice bumper, and your teasing me with the rear view of that welding rig. come on lets see a pic of the complete welding rig. I get as much or more enjoyment looking at nice welding rigs as I do jeeps ( that's a fact lol )

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #38
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa355 View Post
nice bumper, and your teasing me with the rear view of that welding rig. come on lets see a pic of the complete welding rig. I get as much or more enjoyment looking at nice welding rigs as I do jeeps ( that's a fact lol )
Can do...
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #39
papa355
1977 CJ7 

sweet is that a pipe pro?, nice rig, did you build the bed? I love welding rigs !!

A friend of mine built this rig, he is now a welding inspector and no longer needs the rig. So he sold it to my employer, now it's my responsibility.I'm the mechanic/welder fabricator, not the pipe welder. But I still love this rig. Even for a ford, it's a nice truck ...lol. It's 100% custom built bed. 200 F550 7.3 psd, 6 spd 4x4. Miller pipe Pro stainless hood. Custom built electric reels, for leads and remote. We just got it today. It has sat in his garage for 1 1/2 years, under a cover. It needs some polishing, and I am putting a battery in the welder and servicing it (that's why the cover is off welder, atm)

sorry to hi jack ur thread, but I know most welders take pride in their rigs

Unread 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #40
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Always ready to show off my rig. My machines not a Pipepro. It's the Pro 300. I did build my bed about 6 years ago. I got the new truck last year so I had the bed blasted and painted and some Line-X sprayed.

Nice truck, there's a lot of work in that aluminum bed.
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #41
papa355
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonswelding View Post
Always ready to show off my rig. My machines not a Pipepro. It's the Pro 300. I did build my bed about 6 years ago. I got the new truck last year so I had the bed blasted and painted and some Line-X sprayed.

Nice truck, there's a lot of work in that aluminum bed.

over $8,000 in aluminum alone, that's not counting his time and labor to build it, his dad told me he spent 6 weeks building the bed alone. If you look at the doors, every diamond matches, everywhere..... all of them. He built that 90 gal. "L" fuel tank out of stainless also, the welder sits on it. He built the running boards and fender flares also.

Unread 04-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #42
Miller16
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you got blueprints? pm me
Miller16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #43
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No blue prints. All done with one good eye and a tape measure. Start with the winch plate, as wide as the frame and as long as needed to fit a winch. Then angle the front piece from it back to the bottom of the frame rails. Now the two pieces that weld to the sides of the winch plate. Mine were about 3" wide at the top and the same as the winch plate at the bottom. Now break out the cardboard and figure the way you want the rest of it to look.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more.
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #44
Miller16
1997 TJ Wrangler 

do that tomorrow, going to work on my rear bumper and fixing removing my cat and putting a straight pipe till i can afford another cat lol. gotta make it look good before making it run nice lol.
Miller16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #45
Treton
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you took a piece of 1x1 angle and welded it across the backside behind the winch it would settle all the winch plate bowing concerns
Treton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.