Standard Trailer or Customized Trailer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Standard Trailer or Customized Trailer?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-17-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
heelsonwheels

Standard Trailer or Customized Trailer?

Feed me with thoughts.

Which do you prefer? Standard size or Customized Trailer?..and why?
If you want the customized one, how would you like its size/dimension to be? And what would you use it for?

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm planning to get a trailer for my JK.. but i don't know which one. I'd get the standard size, but what if i'll be needing a longer one instead? then again, customized ones are pretty expensive because they're not so in-demand, i think (correct me if i'm wrong).

so...
put yourself in my shoes and let me know what you think

heelsonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Look for a M100 or M416
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
heelsonwheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
Look for a M100 or M416
actually i'm looking at m416 right now.. is that the common type? i'm not sure what people usually get..
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 47 Bantam T3-C build in progress. It's pretty much a 416 with a tailgate built in and some other odds and ends. I don't know how much stuff you carry, but it's a 6' long tub which is the same as the m416 and all the other military trailers.. IMO it's a perfect size for a Jeep, big enough to carry all your stuff for multi days but not overly huge/heavy like some other trailers. Even though the weight adds up QUICK on these.

Not sure what you mean by customized, but I know using two Jeep tubs and either a HF trailer frame or custom trailer frame is pretty popular. It's not as roomy as the military trailers though. I'd say my trailers pretty customized, the only factory parts left are the tub, frame, and part of the tongue. Will be the ultimate camper mobile when done

Here's some random pics of mine to give you an idea of what you'll be getting yourself into There's a lot of neat stuff you can do to these. And no, it's nowhere near completion in the pics!

Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
heelsonwheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
I have a 47 Bantam T3-C build in progress. It's pretty much a 416 with a tailgate built in and some other odds and ends. I don't know how much stuff you carry, but it's a 6' long tub which is the same as the m416 and all the other military trailers.. IMO it's a perfect size for a Jeep, big enough to carry all your stuff for multi days but not overly huge/heavy like some other trailers. Even though the weight adds up QUICK on these.

Not sure what you mean by customized, but I know using two Jeep tubs and either a HF trailer frame or custom trailer frame is pretty popular. It's not as roomy as the military trailers though. I'd say my trailers pretty customized, the only factory parts left are the tub, frame, and part of the tongue. Will be the ultimate camper mobile when done

Here's some random pics of mine to give you an idea of what you'll be getting yourself into There's a lot of neat stuff you can do to these. And no, it's nowhere near completion in the pics!

nice^^ how long did it take you to get to that progress? (or maybe you've already finished the assembly? )
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Depending on what you are planning on using it for would be your first step. I'm trying to figure the same thing out now. I'm leaning to a harbor freight 4x8 trailer and customize it for what I need.

I'm looking for an expedition trailer that'll also has room for my quad.

Check out dinoot trailers, they have a tub that works off the harbor freight trailers & some upgrades to them. Good pricing if you are on a budget.

Here is what I've thought up so far, hovering around $1,000.

caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsonwheels View Post
nice^^ how long did it take you to get to that progress? (or maybe you've already finished the assembly? )
Thanks, it's taken a couple months but I don't work on it all that often. Nope it's still not done.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
heelsonwheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronaxtr View Post
Depending on what you are planning on using it for would be your first step. I'm trying to figure the same thing out now. I'm leaning to a harbor freight 4x8 trailer and customize it for what I need.

I'm looking for an expedition trailer that'll also has room for my quad.

Check out dinoot trailers, they have a tub that works off the harbor freight trailers & some upgrades to them. Good pricing if you are on a budget.

Here is what I've thought up so far, hovering around $1,000.

are you going to build your own?
Unread 04-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsonwheels
are you going to build your own?
I'm planning on basing it off of a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer with some up grades to fit 33's. I don't have any welding skills, but I may have a friend of mine fab up the frame work for me. Not 100% sure yet. Gotta finish my XJ first.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i prefer to get a used boat trailer off craig's list and build it out from there. most are galvanized which is really nice here in the snow belt. they are very easy to modify and i like the long tongue (which can be shortened) as i mount a hitch carrier on it to hold an extra battery, small solar panel, etc. i just move the winch and bracket back closer to the end of the bed i build so i can winch up heavier items onto the bed. and i convert the hitch to a towing ring as it gives me more flexibility on the trails when connected to the pintle on my jeeps.
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
R3dRid3r
2013 JK Wrangler 

you might want to check out these threads:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...6/index94.html

and

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bo...r-kit-1274811/

From those two links... you'll be linked to a number of additional thread builds as well.
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
83cj8
1983 CJ8 

I've built a couple of trailers so far and I went the custom route. I went to ABC trailers and there you can order your axle and lug pattern, and it comes with mounting tabs and leaf springs. I told ABC the distance (wheel mounting surface) from one side to the other and they make it the correct width. This means that your trailer will track in the same line as your prime mover (jeep). Also if you give them the lug pattern on your prime mover so that the trailer has the same this can help down the road. I have a spare tire that I carry on my trailer which is the same as the lug patter as my jeep. So all tires can fit either the jeep or the trailer. I run MTs on the jeep and ATs on the trailer. Each of the trailers had the wheels mounted outboard of the trailer box which just made it easier to build. I made the wheel wells look similar to the rear wheel openings on the jeep. One was for a Scrambler and one was for an newer Toyota FJ. Each of the trailers had a tailgate to work off of or cook on. One of the trailers has a basket on top that opened up in addition to the tailgate to assist in loading and the basket was removable. This was helpful if you ever needed to haul something large like a gun safe. You can put ice chests and such in the basket. The other trailer had a flat top that the guy mounted one of those Australian type of tents. This opened up to a double bed and had a ladder built-in because he didn't want to sleep on the ground. The nice part about a custom was the toungue on the trailer for the FJ. The FJ does not have a tailgate like a Scrambler. It has a door that opens up to the side. So, I made the tounge on the trailer long enough that we mounted the spare tire and two jerry cans on the tounge with the ability to open the rear door without disconnecting the trailer. These are just some thought as you get closer to your decision.

Karl
83cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.