So excited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > So excited

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 06-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

So excited

Well I'm picking up a brand new Hobart handler 140 ,a brand new cart, flux core spool, gas equipment (no tank), and new welding gun tips for $425. My girlfriend's brother's friend just bought all this stuff and his dads surprised him with a bigger welder so they don't need any of it and he's selling it to me.
I've read good things about it the 140 handler and this deal is too good to pass up.
Havnt welded in about 3 years
So in the near future il be relearning and starting to make some things for my zj.
Builds to come
Radiator support
Rear swingout bumper
And sliders

Any tips from the Hobart owners would be much appreciated

Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

You'll love your hobart, I know I like mine. Just wish I had more power sometimes. Plugged into the right outlet it penetrates 3/16" well with straight co2.
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

I'm only gona be doing projects that require smaller then 1/4 inch steel. My girlfriends brother has a stick welder if I need to do anything that needs a lot of strength. I'm not gona use any gas system because that will get more expensive then my wallet would like.
Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
AtTheHelm

After a few projects with flux core you'll wish you had gas. Its not more expensive to use shielding gas, its the initial cost to buy a bottle thats expensive.
HTP's wire pricing shipped
20lbs e71t-gs flux core: $78
20lbs er70s-6 solid: $35

Straight co2 lasts a long time and is dirt cheap even for a smaller 25lb cylinder.
75/25 ar/co2 isn't too expensive if you own a big bottle.
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

I have the same welder, its great, I built both my bumpers and rock sliders with it plus lots more on my previous vehicle. I wish I had the 220 now though. I started only using flux core but a friend of mine was using gas and his welds were much cleaner so i switch to co2/arg mix and have been happy with that. But on windy days i miss my flux core because I dont have a shop or garage that my jeep fits in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.