Shovel Mod (life saver) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Shovel Mod (life saver)

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 08-14-2003, 04:03 PM   #16
Seirpin

Yah I guess its one of those items that you hope to never use, but if it came down to your stuck and no ones around and its dig or walk miles.... It would be nice to have..

K&N filter, Tornado, Hi-lift jack, Swaybar disco's

85 CJ7 almost bone stock. its my project, In a constant state of modification.
Seirpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 10:59 PM   #17
YJ_90

I agree with the majority here that it is creative but if you happen to flop you could have some serious trouble.

About carrying a shovel, I once had to dig myself out of the sand with my dogs water bowl because I had forgotten my shovel, plus it is required of any four wheel drive to carry one where I go wheeling.

Jake
Member #26-Black Jeep Club

"Get the Strap"
YJ_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 07:00 PM   #18
rkutzner

Foxhole? What's a foxhole? Is that what fox's hide in?

Us Jarheads dig 'Fighting Holes'

Everything SELF INSTALLED.

The Serious Stuff:4.5 RE LA, 35" MT/Rs, 4.88s, Super44 w/Detroit, D30 w/Ptrax, SYE, Tera 4:1, 2LOW & Rear Disks, AntiRock, Lotsa Skids (some homemade!), Nth Shock Shifters, Patriot 9500...and LOTS more !
rkutzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 07:49 PM   #19
SAJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkutzner
Foxhole? What's a foxhole? Is that what fox's hide in?

Us Jarheads dig 'Fighting Holes'
Well actually I lied. I've never dug a foxhole either. I'm in the Chair Force oops I meant to say Air Force. I've only dug Defensive Fighting Positions (DFP's) See us Air Force Cops usually have someone come out and dig it for us. Or we wait until the Jarheads dig them and leave then we take over them. I just want to say Thanks Jarheads.
SAJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2003, 03:03 AM   #20
rkutzner

And ya'll get to eat inside in them there cafeterias!!!

Everything SELF INSTALLED.

The Serious Stuff:4.5 RE LA, 35" MT/Rs, 4.88s, Super44 w/Detroit, D30 w/Ptrax, SYE, Tera 4:1, 2LOW & Rear Disks, AntiRock, Lotsa Skids (some homemade!), Nth Shock Shifters, Patriot 9500...and LOTS more !
rkutzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2003, 05:28 AM   #21
SAJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkutzner
And ya'll get to eat inside in them there cafeterias!!!
Yup we do sometimes
SAJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2003, 06:52 AM   #22
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

I always carry a shovel and axe with me..I have used it several times.. Even when I have others with me ... THey cant always pull me out.. SOmetimes I get deeper than they could ever pull me out of... I am crazy like that..
I gottta get a winch..

Acctually if you are off road on federal property you must have an Axe and a Shovel.. Look at any old pics (back when poeple obeyed the law) and you will see shovel and axe..

Of course people used to obey the law about not opening car door into traffic as well... Also in old movies ... Sliding accross the seat and coming out on the sidewalk..
But that went the way of the dodo with the invention of bucket seats..

Now back on topic.. Everyone should carry a shovel.. What if you need a poop how you gonna dig a hole??
Unread 09-02-2003, 08:06 PM   #23
HKP7M8

Not bad... For the Last 10 months i've had my 48" hi-lift across the firewall connected to the radiator support rods... Always worryed me that it might come lose and hit the battery but never did the wingnuts always held tight. The jacks soon going to move to my front bumper and i'm looking for a place to put my shovel. Only problem is we are required to have a shovel with atleast a 44inch handle... How much handle do you have left?

Swamp Boy, With the laws conserning taking "forestry products" aka timber from fedral/state lands i would fear carrying an axe there. Around here there loggers and the enviro's have gotten crazy!

The P7 is the Hannibal Lecter of autoloading pistols
Caution: Pistol may torture, kill and eat other pistols.
HKP7M8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 08:48 PM   #24
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

You cant cut down that tree there is a spotted owl in it....LOL..

Hippies suck...

I even have one of those stupid.. Peeing stickers that says
TREE HUGGERS... Its the only pee on sticker I have ever seen that I thought wasn.t kind of goofy.. (IE Chevy/Ford / Ricers you understand..)

Carl
Unread 09-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #25
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKP7M8
Only problem is we are required to have a shovel with atleast a 44inch handle... How much handle do you have left?
an 1 1/2" dia piece of black pipe would do nicely as an alternative. cut the handle down so it fits under there, then fit the pipe (get the size that will slide over the handle of the shovel snugly) to the other support bar on the driver's side, of just bundle it up with the shovel. two matching holes in the handle and pipe, and a pair of hitch pins, and you've got a full sized handle ready to go. go with schedule 80 and add another length and a threaded union on the end, and you'll have both a full sized handle and a decent prybar/lever/breaker bar for moving those pesky logs, boulders, getting just that much more lift/push out of the hole, freeing up the hub nuts when your axle shafts break, etc. personally, i would use hose clamps to hold the setup to the bar though. i would feel better tightening those up then relying on the bungees. good idea though.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2003, 03:43 PM   #26
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I perfer this.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.