Shovel Mod (life saver) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Shovel Mod (life saver)

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-30-2003, 01:48 AM   #1
Sia

Shovel Mod (life saver)

this is a cheap mod but a necessary one none the less.

buy a wooden full size shovel. cut it to length and use those stretch hooks to hook it to the little tie bar in the engine bay like so.

heres another view

make sure to stretch those cables tight as can be because it is possible for it to let go if you dont. never happened to me and i drive like a maniac

Sia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2003, 08:17 AM   #2
mUD uCKeR

Might want to move that metal shovel end away from your battery posts there bud. ZAAp Zaaaap... BOOOm. Maybe the other side...?
mUD uCKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2003, 09:07 AM   #3
pb4ugotobed

Quote:
Originally posted by mUD uCKeR
Might want to move that metal shovel end away from your battery posts there bud. ZAAp Zaaaap... BOOOm. Maybe the other side...?

sorta what i was thinking, but a great idea regardless
Unread 08-01-2003, 07:53 PM   #4
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good idea, but what's all that blue jazz I see under your hood?!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson
Scafone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2003, 12:11 AM   #5
Briznett

Spark Spark BOOOOOOOOOM
- [size=3][color=green][b]Green Jeep Club Member #55[/color][/b][/size]
- 4.0 I6 W/ 3.5" BDS Suspension, 33"x12.5" BFG Mud Terrain TAs on 772 Tailgunners
- Pioneer P840MP Head Unit, 10" Bazooka Subs in Jeep box, Infinity Kappa's in Soundbar and 6X9 Kappas in Soundwedge Boxes
Briznett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2003, 02:13 AM   #6
Sia

Clears the battery perfect. Never had a problem for the last year. That blue wire cover was on sale for 2$. I couldnt resist.
Sia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2003, 12:12 PM   #7
Briznett

lol, I'm sure it does clear the battery, if it didn't you'd be in some serious trouble.
I just couldn't resist myself
- [size=3][color=green][b]Green Jeep Club Member #55[/color][/b][/size]
- 4.0 I6 W/ 3.5" BDS Suspension, 33"x12.5" BFG Mud Terrain TAs on 772 Tailgunners
- Pioneer P840MP Head Unit, 10" Bazooka Subs in Jeep box, Infinity Kappa's in Soundbar and 6X9 Kappas in Soundwedge Boxes
Briznett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 10:23 AM   #8
evilpsych

or. alternately.. you could have an ex-military folding camp shovel in a rubber bag in the back.. takes up far less space.. and looks less hokey under the hood.. just my $.02

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 03:19 PM   #9
Sidewalkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpsych
or. alternately.. you could have an ex-military folding camp shovel in a rubber bag in the back.. takes up far less space.. and looks less hokey under the hood.. just my $.02
Yeah but don't points for cool factor and originality count. Although I'd spend a couple of bucks on terminal covers for the battery.
Unread 08-12-2003, 04:49 PM   #10
Seirpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpsych

Has anyone ever tried to dig themself out with one of those?? I would think that would take forever..
K&N filter, Tornado, Hi-lift jack, Swaybar disco's

85 CJ7 almost bone stock. its my project, In a constant state of modification.
Seirpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 05:22 PM   #11
bigboat

Wow - this should be called "Shovel Mod (life taker)"
One big bump and bam... I would not put that under my hood like that.
bigboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 09:30 PM   #12
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

watch those connects, if the neg and posi touch you could have some serious problems
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2003, 07:48 PM   #13
BSoDAlptraum

good idea, but you couldn't get much leverage on the shovel making it quite hard...and i agree about the bump thing. i'm not trying to rat on you but can't help but see a few flaws

-Jeff
BSoDAlptraum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2003, 08:21 PM   #14
SAJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seirpin
Has anyone ever tried to dig themself out with one of those?? I would think that would take forever..
Never had to dig out a Jeep with one, but I have had to dig a fox hole with one.
SAJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 02:50 PM   #15
lavoo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

hahaha, I hear ya SA, dug a few myself

And I keep one with me, if you have to dig your jeep out, then you BETTER post pics, cause I'd just have my friends pull or winch me out, and if you by yourself wheelin, and have to dig, better have something. But always better to have another wheeler w/ ya.
[COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy]98 TJ , 4" sl & 1" bl, 33" BFG MT's, FourXDoctor rockers ,Poison Spyder Trail Stinger bumper & corner guards, Custom air tank rear bumper,Banks Header, Raingler nets, Warn 9000 ,... plus many extras..[/COLOR][/COLOR]
lavoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.