Should I buy a torch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Should I buy a torch?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Bigred95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Should I buy a torch?

My last jeep project (95 XJ) was quite an experience. Broken bolt after broken bolt I lost interest in my jeep. Putting the lift on it was a nightmare to say the least. It took forever and it was very frustrating. I had a lot of people tell me, "o just shoot it with some pb blaster, that should help". I sprayed every bolt every day for two weeks prior to install of the lift and it did NOTHING!!!! That was probably the biggest joke I have ever heard, those people must not live in the rust belt. I really want to buy another jeep, but dont know if I want one thats stock or already lifted. (I know stock is most likely the better option). I feel like a torch could have saved me from frustration and give me the confidence I once had to work on jeeps. I know how to weld with oxy-acetylene, but thats all I know when it comes to torches. I am just curious as to others opinions on torches and tips those people use to save them frustaration, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Bigred95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
SamPsychoWise
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There is a little more to PB then just spray and sit. As you spray, tap the bolt, nut, ect. That is how the PB penetrates. As for using a torch. If you got the money, room and know how. Go for it. I don't have the room for an oxy-act set. So when I need heat, I have a small Map gas torch. It's doesn't get as hot as others, but can get the job done. For small things. I wouldn't use map gas to try and bend steel or anything like that.
SamPsychoWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Bigred95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamPsychoWise View Post
There is a little more to PB then just spray and sit. As you spray, tap the bolt, nut, ect. That is how the PB penetrates. As for using a torch. If you got the money, room and know how. Go for it. I don't have the room for an oxy-act set. So when I need heat, I have a small Map gas torch. It's doesn't get as hot as others, but can get the job done. For small things. I wouldn't use map gas to try and bend steel or anything like that.
I have seen little tank setups at farm and fleet, I figured maybe something like that? I am not familiar with Map gas, what is that? and will it take care of big leaf spring bolts, shackle bolts, etc... I was also not familiar with the pb blaster techniques
Unread 07-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
TjinTopeka
2002 WJ 

I also use mapp gas when I have a stuck nut or bolt, I hit it with the heat then the oil. I think it works similar to soldering copper pipes the heat draws the oil in. Mapp gas comes in the same small bottles as propane but the bottles are yellow, you should be able to get them at any hardware store.
TjinTopeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Smallz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Edit: 2 minutes two late ^^^

Unless you need to really cut thick steel and blast stuff away with an oxy-acl torch a MAP gas torch will work well. They screw on to any torch(like the blue propane ones) but the can is yellow. Slightly more expensive than a propane bottle but not much more. Available at Home Depot, Lowes, Auto Zone, etc etc etc for about $40
Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Bigred95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I actually am familiar with the yellow can map gas, I just never knew that's what it was called. What is the technique to using this torch? Heat the bolt for a couple minutes or what? And put oil on it? What kind of oil? Any other tips for using this torch would be helpful, I think I might have to go buy one
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Just find a journey man set on cl. should be able to find something decent for $500ish
Unread 07-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
TjinTopeka
2002 WJ 

I use this stuff, mostly because I have it on hand at all times. I heat the bolt for about a minute then squirt some oil on it. Most penetrating oils are highly flammable though so be careful.

forumrunner_20120723_155904.jpg
TjinTopeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Mishimoto

Here's a picture of an oxy act set if you're cramped on space and don't want to spend a lot on them.
tiny-torch.jpg  
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

http://img2.timeinc.net/toh/i/a/tool...at-guns-04.jpg

Thats what i have for small jobs works good.. not too expensive, and i can actually cut or weld small stuff with it.. it runs through oxygen very fast so its nothing like a big oxy acet torch but it works great for what i need to do as far as breaking bolts or ill use it to tack stuff up before i take it to my buddies house to weld stuff since i dont have a welder yet..

I dont regret buying it.
2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Maximus856
1968 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquier92 View Post
it runs through oxygen very fast so its nothing like a big oxy acet torch but it works great for what i need to do
If you have the money, I would buy the biggest tanks possible. Oxygen goes extremely fast when cutting or heating up metals, and it's no fun when you run out in the middle of a project on a sunday afternoon. Also, if you plan to buy used, make sure the tanks are within there inspection period. If I'm not mistaken, I think they are good for 5 years on the oxygen and 10 on acetylene. If the tanks you buy are out of date, you will get charged an extra fee to get them inspected when you go to refill/trade in.

-Max.
Maximus856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

As far as penetraing oils...NOTHING out there beats Kroil,i learned about it from working around Millwrights on jobs and they work with some of the worse case rusted and frozen bolts out there...

I used it on an old Chevy 327 given to me that was froze up for years,sprayed it in the cylinder and rods,bearings and crackshaft..came out the next day a little tug on the crank with a ratchet and it started turning over...i can honestly say this stuff saved that engine from the scrap...

Penetrating-Lubricating Oils

I agree,if buiying a torch set,buy the torch set seperate and go buy the bigger bottles,you'll find alot more uses for it then just heating bolts up once you start using one.

If you are sure you are only going to use heat for loosening bolts only,then the mapp gas set will work..i have a set and comes in handy on little things at times.

Keep an eye on cragsllist for torch sets and bottles,,they pop up here and there at pretty good used prices.

Smith and Victor are to the 2 common well known torch sets and easily get different tips and parts for them anywhere,most others are copies of them..Victor is top notch with Smith not far behind.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #13
Maximus856
1968 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
As far as penetraing oils...NOTHING out there beats Kroil,i learned about it from working around Millwrights on jobs and they work with some of the worse case rusted and frozen bolts out there...

I used it on an old Chevy 327 given to me that was froze up for years,sprayed it in the cylinder and rods,bearings and crackshaft..came out the next day a little tug on the crank with a ratchet and it started turning over...i can honestly say this stuff saved that engine from the scrap...

Penetrating-Lubricating Oils

I agree,if buiying a torch set,buy the torch set seperate and go buy the bigger bottles,you'll find alot more uses for it then just heating bolts up once you start using one.

If you are sure you are only going to use heat for loosening bolts only,then the mapp gas set will work..i have a set and comes in handy on little things at times.

Keep an eye on cragsllist for torch sets and bottles,,they pop up here and there at pretty good used prices.

Smith and Victor are to the 2 common well known torch sets and easily get different tips and parts for them anywhere,most others are copies of them..Victor is top notch with Smith not far behind.
Ironworker knows his stuff, as an fyi..I just wanted to throw in one more small thing about ocy/acetylene. If you are questioning about getting it, you WILL NOT regret getting an outfit. It is literally one of those things where you wont not find a use for. If you manage to not need it, than the value does not go down much. Oxy/acetylene is far from an every day user tool, but for someone who is around nuts, bolts, and metal somewhat consistantly, it is a godsend.
Maximus856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

An oxy/Act torch is the ONLY way to get the stubborn bolts out. The salt in the midwest really sticks them bolts tight. Heating red hot, then with a wrench gets it 99.5% of the time.It takes a while to learn the technique but once mastered you wont want to be without a torch ever. A mapp gas set wont get stuff hot enough fast enough. Its like wheeling with 28" tires. Just dont cut it. Penetrating oil doesnt do it either. Now pen oil is needed once the rust bond is broken. This helps lube the threads to save the fastener or threaded hole. Its a lot easier to heat a rusted part than get a rusted broken bolt out. Some parts will never come out without heat like Ford front end parts that are steel bolts in aluminium control arms.
You southern boys are spoiled with your rust free stuff. I once bought a parts truck from Georgia and it came apart like nobodys business.
My shop teacher in HS taught us how to use a torch over 40 years ago and it still does the job the BEST.
Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.