Shop exhaust fan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Shop exhaust fan

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
outbackmatt

Shop exhaust fan

I have a 1500 sqft fabrication shop comprised of 3 rooms for sheet metal, welding and general fabrication. I want to set up an exhaust fan in it to remove excessive heat and welding fumes. My shop has a 16ft wide garage door at one end and 10 ft at the other. When they are both open I have good natural cross ventilation, however, the wind blows welding gas away so I always have to close one door.

I am considering installing wall mounted shutter exhaust fans in each room or I can get a large drum fan like this for a fraction of the price.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1484_200381484

If I were to set this fan by an open garage door and point it blowing outside, would it act the same way as a wall mounted exhaust fan for removing welding fumes? My gut says it would not be as efficient.

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

A drum fan would work but they are loud. I would go for the exhaust fan personally as thats what they are built for. Northerntool has some good ones that mount directly in the wall.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mount an exhaust fan as high as you can,this removes all the fumes and the heat too,but being high up it doesn't effect your welding gasses down low.

They don't have to be too big,just mount it on an exterior wall in the rooms needed and either buy or build some kind of door or flap that can be opened when running the fan and closed to protect from weather

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
el_magico
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Assuming you have 10' ceilings, you have about 15,000 cubic feet in your shop, that would be the entire shop. Different if sectioned off. A 12" vortex can fan used for extraction (above) will move about 1,140 cubic feet of air per minute. With one fan, you get total air replacement and fume extraction in 13 minutes. Or 6.5 minutes with two fans. These fans are pretty versatile in that they will attach to a wall with flanges that are made for them, you can also fab a hood like the fancy Dantherm extractors for pinpoint fume extraction. They are quieter than the drum fan you have posted also. The one pictured runs about $270.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.