Shop Accidents/Injuries.. Dissection - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Shop Accidents/Injuries.. Dissection

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 05-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #31
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee95kid View Post
I bought a face shield today and it put my mind at ease now just with a little bit more safety equipment I can feel more comfortable using my grinding wheel angle grinder and chop saw. The only safety problem I still have is I cough up rust colored flem every day and it's bloody to and I know it's from grinding dust. Is that just a ventilation issue or what. Cause I sometimes use a respirator but it's uncomfortable when I use my welding helmet or face shield.
I never got to the point of coughing up brown stuff but after a few minutes of grinding without at least a dust mask I start to taste the metal, and the respirator or dust mask gets put on. Have you ever seen a dust mask after an hour of grinding? Pretty sure if you did youd wear one

Unread 05-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #32
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
I bought a face shield today and it put my mind at ease now just with a little bit more safety equipment I can feel more comfortable using my grinding wheel angle grinder and chop saw. The only safety problem I still have is I cough up rust colored flem every day and it's bloody to and I know it's from grinding dust. Is that just a ventilation issue or what. Cause I sometimes use a respirator but it's uncomfortable when I use my welding helmet or face shield.
Is the phlegm rust colored because you're grinding the rust off of the steel? Or, does this happen even if you're grinding clean steel, too?

If you have blood in your phlegm, you might want to get that checked out.

Are you a smoker?

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 04:26 AM   #33
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

I don't smoke but live with smokers and I buy my metal from a salvage yard so it is a little rusty. And I thin the only reason I spit up some blod with it is because of how it irritates my throat and makes me cough a lot or sneeze a lot.
Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #34
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

It sounds like you are overly sensitive to the metal / rust dusts. The reason I say that is because I've been building industrial metal fabrications for 40 years. I don't always wear the appropriate safety equipment (and that's not a good thing...). But...at worst, I've only had soot, when blowing my nose. I get a chest xray every 5 years, and so far,so good.

A good respirator w/ replaceable canister, or a 10-pack of these...http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...K8BC31gv)&rt=d

If I coughed up blood, I would get that checked out. Something inside of you bleeds when irritated...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #35
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, black snot is pretty normal after a day in a welding shop. The stuff shouldn't be in there long enough to rust. I use a mask if I'm grinding rust off the steel. I had to go to the ER once from inhaling too much, BUT the rust was from chemical related corrosion in the back of a carpet cleaning van i was attempting to patch so that probably helped my lungs close up.
Unread 05-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #36
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

The way I'm a bit biased towards to prevent it all, get an israeli gas mask and some 3M p100 mask filter canisters. Add a face shield and ANYTHING chemical/dust/mechanical/aerosole/etc related will no longer mess with your sinuses, face, or your eyes. It's really tight for welding masks but there's some half face masks and low profile cartridges you can get when forced air feed isn't possible. Not to try to sound rude or anything but you really just gotta suck it up and deal with it. Safety usually isn't very comfortable. And I'd rather have some heat rash or rope burns or something like that than deal with chemical burns in my lungs, permanent vision/hearing loss, or worse. I was actually just saying today when my slim safety goggles couldn't be found, I"m gonna get like 20 pairs of various safety goggles/glasses and a couple of those 200 count foam earplug dispensers. Look at Uline.com and 3M for some of that stuff if ya like, it's about the best sources I can find. Safety is worth any amount of money you have available for it, never let anyone convince you otherwise!
Prime examples, even with a paper face mask, one of the premium ones, a dude that painted our old truck still had major black paint all over his face, in his nose, and more from where it went completely through the mask. Another being a guy doing some flooring work, contact cement stuff flash ignited from a water heater two rooms away, if he didn't have on a full coverage face mask, he'd have had severe burns to his lungs and maybe even eye damage from it.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #37
Brut4ce
2010 JK Wrangler 

Had a metal sliver in right eye started to rust and cause a pocket....used a extremely strong magnet and sucked it out last week....wife's a nurse and said it wouldn't work or be gross...neither...lol good old redneck medical.

BUILT FOR THE ROCKS BUILD CLICK HERE
Brut4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #38
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
respirator when grinding, and a cool band when welding, if you have a miller hood.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #39
honest-tom

Wow, some of these accidents are pretty nasty. Hey RIXCJ, thanks for taking the time to document your finger injury. I always assumed gloves were the safeguard in this sort of situation but now I will rethink it a bit. Glad to see your finger back and healthy now.

Honest Tom
Adrenaline Jeep
honest-tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.