Shop Accidents/Injuries.. Dissection - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Shop Accidents/Injuries.. Dissection

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #16
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

I was using SuperClean the other day cleaning engine parts and dumb@$$ me didn't use gloves. After about an hour of holding the parts in 1 hand and wirebrush with the other and dipping every 20 seconds, it gave me a nice chemical burn. Kept me up for the following 3 nights. I started noticing it after 45-50 minutes but thought it was where I had hit myself with the wire brush a couple times. My first clue it was worse was when I used a rag to wipe my hands and was rubbing skin off!! The pic doesn't show how deep it went!

image.jpeg

dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #17
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Good to see a thread like this to give cautionary advice. Keep in mind not only the dangers of the work being done however but also of the machinery itself. I was walking through the press-brake department of our shop the other day when a pin snapped off a machine and hit me in the chest. It hit me hard enough for me to notice it through a winter coat. Not sure of what damage it could have done had it hit me in the the eye, but it's a good reminder that not only the work could fail, but the machine itself as well.

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." –Mikhail Kalashnikov

“And note that it behooves a good Workman to hammer his Work as true as he can; for one quarter of an hour spent at the forge, may save him an hours work at the vice.” Josheph Moxon “Mechanick Exercises” from the year 1703

Nick’s 1966 Wagoneer Build
84_Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #18
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdudeaz View Post
I was using SuperClean the other day cleaning engine parts and dumb@$$ me didn't use gloves. After about an hour of holding the parts in 1 hand and wirebrush with the other and dipping every 20 seconds, it gave me a nice chemical burn. Kept me up for the following 3 nights. I started noticing it after 45-50 minutes but thought it was where I had hit myself with the wire brush a couple times. My first clue it was worse was when I used a rag to wipe my hands and was rubbing skin off!! The pic doesn't show how deep it went!
Yep.. gotta be careful with da chemicals. Some of those chemicals can permeate the skin and cause damage to the internal organs.. liver..etc. I remember watching a show about a guy who got covered in some chemical (I can't remember, maybe an acid of some sort). The sad thing was, the guy was awake and alert.. but the doctor knew it was only a matter of hours before the stuff was gonna start shutting his internal organs down. The poor fella ended up dying. Scary stuff.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #19
YoureverydayXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good thread! I'll definitely be looking for a better face shield!

Minor one to share, and it's one of those things everyone knows better.. Last summer I was welding my rear bumper together, planned on just tacking pieces into shape. Things were looking good and before I even considered putting some sleeves on I starting laying bead like a madman. After probably an hour I had a nasty UV burn on my bicep that cut off perfectly where the t-shirt sleeve was. No medical attention necessary, but it lasted way longer than any sun burn, and hurt worse too.
I believe that's when I went and bought myself a nice welding jacket! If only they put a warning sticker on those machines or something... Now where did I leave my sign?
Unread 04-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #20
HS00XJ

Great thread guys . The other forums should have a safety thread also. I always use eye protection while using a grinder but will now use a shield.
Thanks again
HS00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #21
rdbs505

Wow, I can think of a few things I'll start doing next time I'm out in the garage. My buddy is a machinist and is always telling me stories of his co-workers loosing fingers/ hands..ect. That cutting disc pic is nuts!
rdbs505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #22
Texanav8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sadly I can now add to this thread.

I spent 7 hours in the ER getting 8 stitches to put my split lip back together about a week ago. Things are better now, but I'll have a scar on my upper lip.

I was replacing shocks on the rear end (after destroying them by not cutting the spring buckets after a pinion rotation). When the car was up on the lift, the shocks went in and out easily, which I did early that morning. Sadly, the shocks I got from 4WP were not the right size, so I put the old ones back on, drove back to the store, picked up the new shocks and then went back to the workshop.

When I got back, someone else had hopped on the lift, and since it was super nice out, I just drove up a set of ramps and started yanking the shocks off. The driver side ones came off, and the new one went on very easily...

On the right, however, the shock (with the new lower shock bracket extension) was pressing against the exhaust pipe. I took the 3 bolts out, but the shock was pinned in place by the exhaust pipe. I was looking and jiggling with it, and was just about to crawl our to get a floor jack to lift the frame up a bit when I put my hand on it, and somehow the whole shock popped out. It swung down and caught me on my upper lip splitting it right down the middle. The ER tech cleaning / irrigating out the wound described it as a 'gnarly predator' look. Apparently, it was split about halfway to my nose, and then split laterally inside about half an inch each side of the front split - essentially 4 pieces of lip showing :/

It all went together well, but if you've never had lidocaine in your lip, you're doing ok. The injury itself was only about a 3 on the 0-10 pain scale, the lidocaine almost made me pass out so that was a solid 9! Heck the last stitch we did after the lidocaine wore off and it hurt less than the lidocaine injection!

I had all the typical PPE including glasses, gloves, long sleeves, but the Simpson's put it best:

-Ian
Unread 05-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #23
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have some cool pics on my phone, but they're too big for JF, of course.

Anyway, I hurt myself at work about a year ago. I was diagnosing a bad wheel bearing on a Durango and my boss wanted to see what I was doing. So I showed him the "spring method" I use. Grab the wheel, spin it by hand and grab the spring. If the bearing has a growl you'll feel it in the spring. Works every time.

Well, this time I stood in front of the wheel (looking at the tread) and grabbed the inside and outside of the rim. Boss was holding the coil spring. I threw that wheel down as hard as I could, and caught my middle finger between the caliper and rim spoke. Stopped the wheel in its tracks and popped the tip of my middle finger like a grape.

Stupid mistake. I know better than to stick my hand in a spinning wheel, and that reminded me why. I'll try to figure out how to post pics and edit this post soon.

Most accidents in the shop are brain fart related. Just be careful out there, guys.
JMH21814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #24
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Do you have a video of it? From a security camera, maybe??

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #25
AngryRedBird

Congrads on getting this thread turned into a sticky.. This has to be the number one issue and awareness to all those who are seeking to do their own fab work.. I to have come close to loosing the ends of my fingers or my toes.. Although I do not enjoy the images, This is very important and must be addressed. Keeping the awareness high and posting the most common safety issues as well as precautions can only better the working environments.
In my case, I was distracted by another coworker needing help when his machine. Where as my machine took the end of my index finger off.. Thou the finger and nail grew back.. The machine now has a safe option/feature which you must have both hands on (touching separate buttons) for the press to engage.
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #26
xbcasey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This was my close call a couple weeks ago. I know people are going to see a glove in a grinding wheel and immediately say not to where gloves around rotating machinery. I fully understand that and normally don't, but in this case I had one part to clean up and my hand was nowhere near the wire wheel, so I didn't take my gloves off.... And I'm glad I didn't.

The part was about a foot long and hook shaped on the end I was holding, when the wire wheel grabbed and flung it, the hooked piece caught my hand and pulled it into the wheel faster than I could let go. I was lucky and the glove took all the impact and saved the skin on my hand. I pulled back and my hand came out of the glove as the wheel ground to a stop. All that happened was the skin on the end of my thumb got peeled down away from the nail a little bit and did some bleeding, while not a good feeling, it was a way better outcome than what would have happened if I weren't wearing gloves. One other precaution I normally take, is to cut the Velcro closures off of my gloves so that they have a chance of coming off in this type of situation. You can see the Velcro still on them in the pic, I had pulled these brand new Kevlar gloves out of the package 15 minutes earlier and couldn't find my razor knife, when I pulled the glove out of the wire wheel one whole side of it was ground away.
image-3291689353.jpg

xbcasey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #27
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

One I feel I should add just for my machinery mishap..
In dealing with electric shears, I was doing some cutting work. I was distracted while doing the work and my hand slipped the worst possible way. The fingerprint of my thumb now has a 1" long V-shaped scar where I literally lost 2/3 of my thumb's fingerprint, at a quarter inch deep into my thumb. Got it wrapped up in paper towels and tape and right back to work I went.
It happened quite some time ago so there's no pics, but it adds to the emphasis of never working when distracted, no matter the case.
Friend's dad had a chainsaw kick back when he was distracted and shifted a little too much. It almost took his leg off at the knee. Had him laid up for 6 months and 3 surgeries.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2014, 01:18 AM   #28
Brut4ce
2010 JK Wrangler 

Wear gloves and don't start the grinder while in a tight spot...lol I know this but 18+ years I'm still stubborn...

Split the finger open with a flap disc....removed some bone and debris from it...

Funny thing is you can see the scar on my thumb below where I almost tore the pad of it completly years ago...lol

[B][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]BUILT FOR THE ROCKS BUILD[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/built-rocks-2101897/"][B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]CLICK HERE[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Brut4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #29
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Your finger reminds me of the one time I did my own stitches, too...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #30
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

I bought a face shield today and it put my mind at ease now just with a little bit more safety equipment I can feel more comfortable using my grinding wheel angle grinder and chop saw. The only safety problem I still have is I cough up rust colored flem every day and it's bloody to and I know it's from grinding dust. Is that just a ventilation issue or what. Cause I sometimes use a respirator but it's uncomfortable when I use my welding helmet or face shield.
Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.