seems obvious to me... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-17-2004, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Vacant Stare

seems obvious to me...

Why hasn't anyone come up with a nerf bar/rock slider that mounts to the underside of the body tub mounting points instead of the body tub itself?

Seems like connecting rock sliders directly to the frame would make a lot more sense, and a lot less unecessary holes in the body.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-17-2004, 01:01 PM
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

you mean like this?

they're made by ShrockWorks...bad news is the sliders pictured are for a YJ...

when they made their TJ sliders, they did the complete opposite:

Greg

2001 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition (details in Profile)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-18-2004, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Vacant Stare

I think that's a good use of existing mounting points, but that's not what I had in mind...

I see a lot of people on this board ridicule 'nerf bars', but I think they could be made fairly useful if in addition to bolting to the frame, they picked up additional support at one or more of the body mounts.

I am picturing a tab or plate welded on to the tube of the nerf bar that would extend toward the frame, connecting with one or more of the body mount points.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If I understand you right and I think I do, Why do you even need to mount it to that spindly body bolt. The ones I make are 2x2x3/16 tube and attach straight to the frame. I loose probably 3 inches below the rockers, but am well above the bottom of the frame. I can jack the entire side of my jeep up using the sliders as a jacking point. How much stronger do they need to be? I have less than 1/4 inch deflection when lifitng it that way. I have always been about beefy, Heck our bumpers are made from 2x4 tubeing and mount in 10 locations but I think I am missing your point, or maybee I do not understand what you are saying.

I love this crap!!
post #5 of 10 Old 07-19-2004, 11:25 AM
gigihurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande
If I understand you right and I think I do, Why do you even need to mount it to that spindly body bolt. The ones I make are 2x2x3/16 tube and attach straight to the frame. I loose probably 3 inches below the rockers, but am well above the bottom of the frame. I can jack the entire side of my jeep up using the sliders as a jacking point. How much stronger do they need to be? I have less than 1/4 inch deflection when lifitng it that way. I have always been about beefy, Heck our bumpers are made from 2x4 tubeing and mount in 10 locations but I think I am missing your point, or maybee I do not understand what you are saying.
Relax RIO it is obvious he is somewhat a newbie to the real world of offroad needs. The stuff they sell at pep boys is only for looks and driving over the parking stops at the local mall. Vacant stare I would research your questions before asking. If no one makes them , well you should start and I bet you will find fifty manufactures that do it the same way or better.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-19-2004, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Vacant Stare

Well, I have looked at every nerf bar I can find by googling, and the majority seem to connect to the frame at two points, roughly front and rear. This would leave the span in the middle unsupported. My point is that the body mounts seem like such an easy and obvious point to pick up additional support for the bar, so I wonder why no one has done this....

I honestly don't know how much force it would take to deflect a heavy walled steel tube spanning 2 or 3 feet, but if it doesn't have to span all that distance unsupported, why do it?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Was not trying to slam anyone,,,,, Just get a little excited on occasion. Hey it would not hurt to try,, I say build it and see how it turns out. That is how 90% of everything i build started out. The other 10% either got cut up and used on another project or went to the scrap pile.

I love this crap!!
post #8 of 10 Old 07-20-2004, 07:29 AM
BamaJeeper

www.tommyjeep.com

Out of the darkness comes light.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-20-2004, 08:54 AM
gigihurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacant Stare
Well, I have looked at every nerf bar I can find by googling, and the majority seem to connect to the frame at two points, roughly front and rear. This would leave the span in the middle unsupported. My point is that the body mounts seem like such an easy and obvious point to pick up additional support for the bar, so I wonder why no one has done this....

I honestly don't know how much force it would take to deflect a heavy walled steel tube spanning 2 or 3 feet, but if it doesn't have to span all that distance unsupported, why do it?
If you will research the reason nerf bars were developed it was for racing applications to keep other racers from locking tires with you. They are not really designed for supporting the weight of your vehicle although to some that doesnt really matter. Me personally I would want as little tied to the body of my jeep as possible. The frame is the strongest point on your jeep. The body mounts can and will stress over time due to flex and typical driving. Attach you some sliders to your frame and install some rocker protection and all will be good.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-23-2004, 09:55 PM
RideRed04

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigihurt
If you will research the reason nerf bars were developed it was for racing applications to keep other racers from locking tires with you. They are not really designed for supporting the weight of your vehicle although to some that doesnt really matter. Me personally I would want as little tied to the body of my jeep as possible. The frame is the strongest point on your jeep. The body mounts can and will stress over time due to flex and typical driving. Attach you some sliders to your frame and install some rocker protection and all will be good.
they work titties for deflecting trees in the tight woods too I'm gonna ditch mine for some rockers that tie into the frame and the body.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7 QD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.