Seat spacers - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Seat spacers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #46
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamigra View Post
Have you thought about offering more of these for sale? I'd buy a set!!
Yes I have but at my costs it wouldn't be worth my time and still be competitive with other vendors that have them. Plus I just moved into a new place and dont have access to all the tools I would need to do production type work.

Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #47
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch740 View Post
Well being 5' 9.5" I always felt my seat was too low. Then Jeep Forum confirmed that, then I rode in a Jeep with 1" spacers, then I had to have some. Little research showed those would run me close to $80. Too much for my cheap ***. So I designed my own.

I designed them so I would have as much area contacting the floor as possible, I have 18 sq.in. of contact with the floor vs 9 if the blocks were stood on end. I feel this is better because if I hit something, like another deer the tub is less likely to be damaged with more area for the force to be spread over.

1.5"x1.5"x12" 6061

Little CAD work, done after the job just for JF.
The front left and right blocks bolt hole location is different because I wanted as much area in front of the bolt as possilbe.

Cut on band saw, drill holes, sand with flapper disk, sand with 6" sander, paint in 27 degree weather.

Pick up bolts:
3 x 8mm 1.25mm pitch 70mm long bolts (65mm will also work) Grade 10.9
3 x Washers for above bolts
1 x 7/16 2-3/4" (2-1/2" will work also) Grade 8
1 x Washer for above bolt

Installed:
Front

Rear

Extra space under seat.

Unfortunately I spent close to $30 on one set. Thats because of $15 shipping. I could have picked up the aluminum stock for $5 locally but that required me drive 20 min and find the time to do it during the day.

I have not driven on or off road yet. But just sitting in it and moving around the Driveway is like driving a whole new jeep. The window sill is now at the right height for an arm rest and the view over the hood is much better. Looking forward to getting out in it, especially since the jeeps been laid up for a week after nailing a deer at 45mph the eve of Xmas eve. Spend all day getting it back together and now the only thing thats missing is one fog light.
Reviving an old thread here. Just wanted to thank the OP for posting this excellent writeup. The AutoCAD drawing is the cat's meow.

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

http://rockspyder4x4.com

http://koolkat4x4.org
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #48
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerd View Post
Reviving an old thread here. Just wanted to thank the OP for posting this excellent writeup. The AutoCAD drawing is the cat's meow.
Glad to have helped
Unread 11-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #49
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch740 View Post
Glad to have helped

I work at an aluminum shop, and have tons (literally), of aluminum and steel bars. Tomorrow, I will be doing some fab work.....when I'm done my work

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

Unread 11-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #50
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cool mod and great write up ! I am headed to the hardware store for the bolts/washers now and stopping by the local metal shop fridat for some trailer fab steel...so will pick up the alum bar stock at the same time.

This will be a great mod for me at 5' - 10", but also help my wife a little when she rides or drives in the TJ...she is 5' - 2"
Unread 11-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #51
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWDDYZ View Post
Cool mod and great write up ! I am headed to the hardware store for the bolts/washers now and stopping by the local metal shop fridat for some trailer fab steel...so will pick up the alum bar stock at the same time.

This will be a great mod for me at 5' - 10", but also help my wife a little when she rides or drives in the TJ...she is 5' - 2"
I was thinking of using steel, but I hate working with steel. Okay, I just finished painting mine. Going to give them a few minutes to dry, then going to install.

Last edited by TheHeretic; 11-20-2009 at 06:21 PM..
Unread 12-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #52
mmmhoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Great thread.

I'm 6'4" and feel really low in the seat.

This should take care of business.

Is 1.5 inches as high as you should go, or would I be able to lift 2 inches alright?
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #53
bombtek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I know this thread is OLD!
I just wanted to say I copied the OP's design last night using 1.25" square stock aluminum, and it is one heck of an improvement!
The only thing that got me was I had to make a second trip to the Home Depot because I took the bolt list and bought what was on it without looking at what I for OEM bolts. Everything was spot on, except I bought standard thread for the SAE 7/16 bolt. It is a fine thread that is needed. Other than that, they are awesome!
I had two feet of the 1.25"x1.25" square stock here at work, so it only cost me the price of the bolts.
Thanks for the writeup/pictures!!!
bombtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #54
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmhoss View Post
Great thread.

I'm 6'4" and feel really low in the seat.

This should take care of business.

Is 1.5 inches as high as you should go, or would I be able to lift 2 inches alright?
I'm 5'9" which 1 and 5/8ths inch skate board wheels (they work great and the bearings take the stock Jeep sized bolts - but new longer ones - perfectly). At 5'9" and with the 1 and 5/8ths inch risers, I'm WAY up. I wouldn't want to higher. For your height, you might want to consider a 3/4" even. Try different sizes out with wood first.
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #55
lynn
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I completed this mod last night... finally got around to installing them. I used the same 1.5" aluminum stock as specified. I put the risers under both front seats

Got my bolts from Fastenal (Fastenal P/Ns shown below):

Qty 6, p/n 40682, M8-1.25 x70mm DIN 931 Class 10.9 plain cap screw. $0.87777 each
Qty 2, p/n 18164, 7/16-20 x 2 3/4 plain finish SAE J429 grade 8 hex cap screw $0.8355 each
You can get appropriate grade 8 washers anywhere.

I ordered plain finish, not zinc or cad plated.
I used a bit of antisieze on the bolts for the install.

I'n 5'8"... view over the hood is greatly improved, and seating position feels better too!
Great mod!!

EarlyCJ5.net Forums
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #56
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombtek View Post
Yes I know this thread is OLD!
I just wanted to say I copied the OP's design last night using 1.25" square stock aluminum, and it is one heck of an improvement!
The only thing that got me was I had to make a second trip to the Home Depot because I took the bolt list and bought what was on it without looking at what I for OEM bolts. Everything was spot on, except I bought standard thread for the SAE 7/16 bolt. It is a fine thread that is needed. Other than that, they are awesome!
I had two feet of the 1.25"x1.25" square stock here at work, so it only cost me the price of the bolts.
Thanks for the writeup/pictures!!!
Glad this thread is still helping people.

I just updated the original post to reflect the fine threads for the 7/16" bolt. Thanks for catching that.
Unread 10-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #57
parcours
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm glad you revived the thread.

I just completed my set, they're great.
parcours is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #58
Msprain10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_seat-risers.html and you get 10% off if you mention jeepforum
Msprain10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #59
phluffhead
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So i go to hiawatha fastener, got nice shiny bolts...lol.4 of them, not 8... duh!!!
phluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #60
phluffhead
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Only$3.22 for the one set
phluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.