seat belt, gusset? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > seat belt, gusset?

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
pyro1994

seat belt, gusset?

I know a little extra does not hurt, but is it needed?
I am in the process of a complete jeep build. I have built, but not burnt in yet rollcage with all seat tie ins and the whole works. I probably will make little triangle type gussets on each side of it regardless of the replies. My question is would they be really needed?
The material is 1.5" .120 wall hrew, and the tab is tacked to a 1/8 wall 3/4x3/4, that is offset knotched into the bottom half of the tube.

img_0041.jpg   img_0043.jpg  
pyro1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

In my opinion is it keeps your butt in the chair when the shizznizzle hit the fan it cant be overbuilt.I would probably run the flat plate all the way up to the round tube also.Then the flat plates and the 3/4 square would both be welded to the round tube just in case one of the welds fail.Alittle extra weld never hurt anyone!
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
pyro1994

wow maybe i outta learn to resize pics to. If you pan Right on the first pic you will see better
Unread 03-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
bradleyfitz

I would put two chassis tabs (double shear) mounted directly to the subframe instead of that small piece of square tubing you have there. I do not think a gusset on the seat belt mounts are necessary as they should not see any horizontal load.

You can see how I did my seatbelt tabs in this photo:
98 Sahara, hp44/hp60, warn 5x5.5 premium hub conversion, 4.88, arb's, hydro assist, RE 4.5 SF /w 3.5 springs, Novak / Teraflex SS SYE, currie anti-rock, JKS 1.25" BL, 36" bias iroks, PSC Tube fenders /w 3" flare, PSC Ricochet Rockers, custom rear bumper, btf front bumper / winch plate, warn 9.5ti, full cage, TwistedStitch seats, RCI-2161a fuel cell
bradleyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
pyro1994

thank you.
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfitz View Post
I would put two chassis tabs (double shear) mounted directly to the subframe instead of that small piece of square tubing you have there. I do not think a gusset on the seat belt mounts are necessary as they should not see any horizontal load.

You can see how I did my seatbelt tabs in this photo:
I agree with this, unless you need the seat belt attach point further aft... in that case gusset the crap out of it and you'll be fine. Think of the way the load is applied to that arrangement you've got there... It is has some leverage right at the weld joint... not really ideal, but fixable with gussets.

If you need them in that location, keep em right where you tacked them and add some gussets, OR move them similar to bradleyfitz picture shows.

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
pyro1994

I do need them there for belt angles. Next build I will have the seat tie in bars back a little further. For this time gussets it will be.
Thank you for the replies
Eugene

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.