Sanden On Board Air - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Sanden On Board Air

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #46
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

I used 5' off my factory A/C compressor when I did mine (Toyota). No heat issues. Also there are better clamps available. Ask at your parts place of choice for "14-16 fuel injection clamps". They're 1/2" and use a nut & bolt to tighten. No band cutting into your hose when you snug it down.

Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #47
squarelight94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well since this thread has been revived every year thought my questions would fit nicely right here.

(1) Is the location where I have the pressure switch spliced in correct?

(2) Do I need a relay? E_ROCK from you quote below it sounds like you wired directly to the compressor without a relay.

(3) What size fuse did ya'll use?

None of the threads has a specific diagram for wiring the compressor so I altered this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ROCK View Post
Take a wire from a fused iginition switch "on" source over to a on/off switch at the dash. Wire from the switch over to the pressure switch. The pressure switch is mostly a DPDT switch, so wire the hot wire to the terminal marked "C" or common. Take the other terminal that is marked "N/C" or "NC" or normal closed to the compressor. The compressor most likey has multiple terminal. Just keep testing the leads until you hear one that engages the clutch. Wire the lead that engages the clutch to the "N/C" of the pressure switch.
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #48
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelight94
Well since this thread has been revived every year thought my questions would fit nicely right here.

(1) Is the location where I have the pressure switch spliced in correct?

(2) Do I need a relay? E_ROCK from you quote below it sounds like you wired directly to the compressor without a relay.

(3) What size fuse did ya'll use?

None of the threads has a specific diagram for wiring the compressor so I altered this one.
Your wiring diagram looks good to me! I did not use a relay, I used a switch with enough make and break amp rating for the compressor clutch. Most clutch coils will only draw about 5 amps at the very most and that draw goes down once the coil is holding. I don't remember the fuse size, but select your wire size then size the fuse to protect the circuit.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #49
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Long term testing complete! After 10 years, plenty of tires, and even more air molecules the compressor quit. I am still impressed that the compressor lasted this long with just a simple air tool oiler.

Sparks were flying when it failed! Time for another junk yard compressor.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #50
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Very impressive. I have taken your write up and done myself one about 6 months ago and it's awesome. Fills tires up really quick.
To have lasted 10years I'm happy with that.
Front D30 (4.88 w/ Powertrax No-Slip) -- Rear 8.8 (4.88 w/ ARB) -- Front Custom Bumper -- Custom Side Rock Guards -- Dual Snorkel (Coming Soon)
djfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #51
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I used my stock compressor for a long time with the only oil system being wetting the inlet filter every so often with oil.

It lasted about 3 years like that before the swedge plate exploded and it bent a piston rod in the compressor Lol

My new system has an oiler setup like this and I use ATF as my lubricant of choice.

A little advice I would give anyone setting up their OBA system is to have a kill switch for the compressor in easy reach from the drivers seat. Because if and when that beast locks up you can easily roast a belt in a matter of seconds. Not fun going down the highway at 55mph.

I use my setup for a set of air horns and for tire inflation. The compressors run fairly efficient and I would say an impact wrench or even die grinder could be run off it with a decent reserve capacity.

All in all, a very worth while mod.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #52
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a little closer to having my On-Board-Air done. I've mounted the 1 gallon tank under the tub. I also fabricated a bracket to hold the pressure switch, T's, and fittings under the hood. To keep the under hood quick connect port clean, I used a fitting with a pressure gauge, this also allows me to know what the pressure is in the system. I also installed the ARB quick connect fitting on the rear of the Jeep behind the license plate. This should keep is a little cleaner, and not in a potential high damage area. Now to get the hoses from the compressor fabricated, and install the arming switch. The only bad decision I think I've made, is the arming of the system, will be by a switch that grounds the pressure switch circuit. If I'm not careful, I could leave the compressor on when the engine is off, running down the battery.

W_A_Watson_II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #53
ramos
2001 TJ Wrangler 

if your using the same wire I did, you won't drain the battery. it's only engaged the pulley. doesn't draw any juice.
I really like where you put the port. I can't believe how clean your engine bay is.
ramos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #54
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ramos,

Thanks, I re-built the Jeep (body and power train) last winter (4L bored and stroked to 4.6L), and have only had it off road once this summer, so it's still fairly clean.

Will
http://jeep.wawii.com/
W_A_Watson_II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #55
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

sub'd for reference. Thanks guys,
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #56
YJ475
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This thread should be in a hall of fame somewhere. I just did the first half (mounted compressor, new serpentine belt, plumbed the intake), and the original post was spot on. A few things I learned:
  • The mounting bolts for the compressor are metric, size 8x1.25
  • The new serpentine belt length (with power steering) really is the 96" one at the auto store. For some reason, the first time I mounted it, it seemed about 4 inches long. After much swapping at the parts store, the original one ended up being correct.
  • Amazon sells the check valve, pressure switch (12v ones are smaller), and emergency valves. Buying those three got me free shipping. Everything else was at local hardware stores.
  • Iron pipe fittings are much less expensive than brass. They look like they are rated to high enough PSI, so I decided to use them. Any reason I shouldn't have used them? (I used teflon tape: the pic was just a mock-up)
2013-12-28-12.57.27-2.jpg  
YJ475 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.