JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Fabrication Shop (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/)
-   -   Sanden On Board Air (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/sanden-board-air-58213/)

E_ROCK 11-08-2003 12:17 PM

Sanden On Board Air
 
The first step is acquiring an A/C compressor. I limited my junkyard search to a stock compressor that came out of a ’91 to ’95 Wrangler or Cherokee. Compressor of those years will bolt directly into the A/C mounting bracket.

If you are buying a compressor, you will need to get an additional idler pulley, pulley bushing, bolt, and belt. The Figure 1 shows the location of the pulley (1) and bushing (2).

http://www.rockfrogs.org/Pictures/OBA/figure1.jpg
Figure 1


If you are using your stock A/C, you are one step ahead. But you will need to purge the A/C system of all the Freon. You will not need to buy a new belt or pulley.

The next picture is a schematic of the system. I could not get the picture any larger due to Imagestation. If you PM me with your email address, I will send you the drafted schematic in PDF format.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/Pictures/OBA/figure2.jpg
Figure 2


Figure 3 show the intake side of the compressor. (3) is the air filter. (4) is the air tool lubricator. The air filter is a crankcase filter. The air tool oiler can be bought at harbor freight.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/Pictures/OBA/figure3.jpg
Figure 3


Figure 4 shows the fitting used on the suction and discharge ports of the compressor. (5) is a 1/4" NPT elbow. (6) is a 3/4" to 1/2" NPT (female to female) fitting. (7) is a 1/2" to 1/4" NPT (male to female) fitting.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/Pictures/OBA/figure4.jpg
Figure 4


Figure 5 shows what is needed after the discharge port. I chose to mount everything to the scissor jack mount. (8) is the oil/air filter. (9) is the check valve. (10) is pressure gage. (11) is pressure sensor switch.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/Pictures/OBA/figure5.jpg
Figure 5


Figure 6 show the location of my front quick connect.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/Pictures/OBA/figure6.jpg
Figure 6


Figure 7 show the location of my rear connect.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/Pictures/OBA/figure7.jpg
Figure 7


Figure 8 show the location of my tank. I drilled up through the tub and used 4 bolts.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/Pictures/OBA/figure8.jpg
Figure 8


Result:
See for yourself. Figure is a picture of my 31" Xterrian aired down to 12psi. Figure 10 is a picture of my Jeep at Holy Cross in Colorado.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/Pictures/OBA/figure9.jpg
Figure 9

http://www.rockfrogs.org/Pictures/OBA/figure10.jpg
Figure 10

Swamp Boy 11-08-2003 08:11 PM

very nice.. Setup..

By the way.. If you copy the link location of the diagram...
and add.. .orig.jpg to the end of it.. IT will take you to the
original that is quite large..
Thanks for the write up..

carl


OH yeah.. I have just gotten a scuba tank to use as my air tank..
I cant wait to get started on mine.. Gonna be cool... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

E_ROCK 11-09-2003 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swamp Boy
very nice.. Setup..

By the way.. If you copy the link location of the diagram...
and add.. .orig.jpg to the end of it.. IT will take you to the
original that is quite large..
Thanks for the write up..

carl


OH yeah.. I have just gotten a scuba tank to use as my air tank..
I cant wait to get started on mine.. Gonna be cool... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I tried putting the .orig.jpg on the end. It gave me a messege that said:

“Sorry,
You are trying to access an image from outside of Imagestaion.com"

I don't know how to get around that.

Cool idea using a scuba tank. I think that will work well. I spent countless hours at truck (big rigs) junkyards and shops trying to find a cheap tank. I finally had to breakdown and buy a new one.

Have you decide how you are going to mount the tank. Just to let you know, you can run the system without a tank for awhile until you figure it out. I doesn't work as well, but it gets you by.

Swamp Boy 11-09-2003 06:47 PM

I think I am going to go to a dive shop and just buy a tank rack and use that.. I think it would look cool. On the inside by the back window...

Not sure about the .orig.jpg not working it works for me..

I even did it again just now just to make sure..;)

Carl

Dembones 11-09-2003 09:38 PM

Best airtank available: Beer Keg.

E_ROCK 11-10-2003 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dembones
Best airtank available: Beer Keg.

Right on. I have a couple extra of those hanging around. I should have been thinking.

I could just see that conversation.

"No officer, its for my OBA system. It really doesn’t have beer in it.”

Dembones 11-10-2003 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eelson
Right on. I have a couple extra of those hanging around. I should have been thinking.

I could just see that conversation.

"No officer, its for my OBA system. It really doesn’t have beer in it.”

Except mount a tap on the bottom- 1/2 booze 1/2 compressed air. Just imagine, at 150+ PSI, fill your tankard from 30 ft. away :drool:
Anyway I like your setup, there's more Volvos than Jeeps in junkyards around here, I'll probably end up going York.

jwtrapper 01-26-2004 03:17 AM

I know this is kind of an old post but just had to add my $.02 and some more pics. Who could get tired of on board air? Its great dont know what I ever did with out it.
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/jwtra...l/IM000754.JPG
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/jwtra...l/install3.JPG
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/jwtra...l/install2.JPG
I have moved my air chuck to the front of the jeep where it comes out just below the head light but other than that its the same. I have ran it up to over the 160psi that the gauge shows and have used my compressor to run my blasting cabinet and with a little bit of throttle it'll keep up okay.
And for PaxtonTransAm why do everything to your jeep that you have done if you are not going to wheel it? If you just want the Bling Bling go find a ricer. If where to ever get your rig out of the mall parking lot you might just see how on board air is real a usefull tool to have.

E_ROCK 01-26-2004 08:00 AM

Quote:

I have moved my air chuck to the front of the jeep where it comes out just below the head light but other than that its the same. I have ran it up to over the 160psi that the gauge shows and have used my compressor to run my blasting cabinet and with a little bit of throttle it'll keep up okay.
And for PaxtonTransAm why do everything to your jeep that you have done if you are not going to wheel it? If you just want the Bling Bling go find a ricer. If where to ever get your rig out of the mall parking lot you might just see how on board air is real a usefull tool to have.
Very nice setup. Is that a u-bolt that goes around the oil/water filter? If it is, where does it bolt to? Did you make mounting bracket for the second compressor or is that a kilby product?

I notice you are from CO also. I viewed your jeep pictures and noticed Medano Pass in your pictures. Are you located in Southern Colorado?

igofshn 01-26-2004 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dembones
Best airtank available: Beer Keg.

I'd say a beer keg would take up a little too much space.

igofshn 01-26-2004 08:37 AM

This has been in the TJ FAQ for quite a while. It is what I used when I did my oba.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...boardair1.html

Quan 01-26-2004 08:58 AM

This is a good thread, great writeup.... maybe we should move it to the projects section to help some others out.

E_ROCK 01-26-2004 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quan
This is a good thread, great writeup.... maybe we should move it to the projects section to help some others out.

That is fine with me. Are you a mod Quan?

schitzangiggles 10-12-2005 02:26 AM

Doesany body know how many CFM the stock Sanden will do? (yes I have searched)

Swamp Boy 10-12-2005 06:28 PM

I dont know but I ran mine at high idle and it would run an impact gun.. At 2000 RPM's I was able to run a cut off tool and it did OK...


The time now is 06:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.