Safety glasses - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Safety glasses

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
chukky82
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Safety glasses

Well. I managed to get some metal in my eye the other day even though I was wearing safety glasses. These are just the cheap simple ones like you'd get at a factory or something. But the fact remains that the metal still got in my eye. And let me tell you what,,,that was painful. I was wondering what recommendations some of you more experienced folks may have as far as preferred glasses. I already purchased a face shield but there are going to be times where that may not fit where I am working or whatever. I would like to find some safety glasses that are either clear or yellow but more like sunglasses and that have either foam or some other sort of protection around where they meet the eyes. Thanks in advance for any advice/help. Have a great day.

chukky82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
GunNut1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have had to have metal removed from my eyes twice. This last time was dead center so the scar has permanently effected my vision. I wear motocross goggles when I go under the jeep now. Safety glasses and shield when grinding/welding.
GunNut1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Hylke

1978 CJ7 

Pretty much always a full face shield. The time I got something in my eye it was a freak accident while looking down on my workpiece, from underneath my safety glasses. Guess I'm too tall for my workbench...
Full shield or something that seals the bottom underneath your eyes.
Hylke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
chukky82
1998 TJ Wrangler 

YEAH. I've got the full shield now. But there are times when i may be in a space where that doesnt fit all that well. I have found some online that have a foam dust/particle shield that seal up better around your eyes. The whole metal in the eye is no joke.
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Go to you local welding supply and get a pair of Jackson "Wildcat" clear goggles, the're CSA Z94.3 compliant. I got mine at Airgas part #JAC 3013710, these are clear and they do have shade 5 for cutting and OX/AC welding. They are tight fitting with foam around the face so nothing can get in, well worth it for about $20 or less. Cheaper than the doctor visit!
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
chukky82
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i will have to look into those. thanks for the input. definately cheaper than the doc.
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Wraparounds.

When wearing contacts, I would usually wear my Gargoyly Classic wraparounds (not the new ones, but the old Terminator-style ones! The new ones are smaller,) and they would fit up fairly closely to my face.

The ones with the rubber cup and the elastic strap is better for metal working (grinding/cutting) than the spectacle-style ones, they're the ones we had to wear in chem lab to keep from getting our eyes splashed.

If you wear spectacles so you can see, however, nearly anything that fits over them is going to wind up fogging up rather badly. When I'm wearing my specs (flexible "memory metal" frames and high-index/high-impact polycarbonate lenses) I'll wear a full face shield. Less fogging, less interference with my specs, and probably safer overall anyhow.

Take care of your eyes - you only get one set! And, the only bit that can be really transplanted is the cornea, can't do much else.

NB: Pillage through the medical equipment on eBay. I've got a few copies of an "eye tool" - it's got a soft, smooth Nylon loop on one end and a strong magnet on the other, it's meant to help remove bits from the eye. I do not recommend using the loop end on yourself (and make sure that whoever does use it has steady hands!) but it is possible to get a steel filing out of your eye with the magnet, it's very strong and doesn't need to be actually touching your eyeball to work.

Here - something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eye-Magnet-P...item256adf22b6
Unread 06-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
KMD
1976 CJ7 

best I have found after having to have metal removed from eye.

Most of your typical safety glasses are false security.Even the eye doctor said many times standard safety glasses are worse then none at all.

You need to keep the strap on them. They hang around you neck at easy reach when not wearing them. I have them in yellow and clear. love them both. threw all the others away so no one uses them and will order them by the box in the future.

I ordered from here.http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bolle-tracker.html
Unread 06-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

i have gotten more junk in my eyes while wearing glasses than without them. Issue is with the foam wrap arounds is is causes my face to sweat then the sweat gets in my eyes and i have to loosen them up, so the foam then becomes no more useful than a regular pair.

and what works depends on the person as well. i wear Crew brand "LAW" series glasses and with the shape of my face they seal around the bottom of my eyes and i have not had any issues while wearing them. i have them in clear and a light tint as well. cheap be the best safety glasses i have used to date.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have a line on good safety glasses like the Bolle brand shown above, but with reading lenses on the lower part of the lenses? My old eyes can't see the stuff up close anymore without readers, and I'm already nearsighted so I have to wear contacts or glasses.
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Buying and using safety glasses are a personel preference and how they fit an individual's face the best...it's about like shopping for clothes..different sizes and fitment according the person's face features.

Most of the Nuke's i work alot supply the "cool" looking Smith & Wessons,but they fit poorly aroundmy face,they leave too much of a gap all around for my taste...

I generaly like the simple wrap around type that gives you a pretty tight fit but doesn't cause fog up and constant sweating ...they also give you a great all around periphial vision....for example is the Crew - Checkmate....Radians-Mirage.....just for an example to search what one's i mean.

Some of the "cool" looking one's actualy hinder your ability to always see out the sides,if your working by yourself,it's ok,but when working around others,or under a vehicle unbolting,bolting up..welding...cutting..etc...its always a good idea to have as much all around periphial vision as much as possible..you don't want a pair that just gives a tunnel vision.........you never know when someone or something is flying your way and you never seen it coming............

Beware of some of the "unknown" or off the wall names when buying safety glasses..The nuclear pant jobs i work have top notch safety guys that do nothing but study and search and research this type of stuff and recently they've been preaching some of the off brand type made in china glasses have the Z87.1 "claim" on them,but not up to par.....ANSI Z87.1 means it has the Polycarbonate inpregnated in them,which is pretty much indistructable lens and they also block all UV and IR light 99.99% on clears,and 100% on the dark lens...which means they WILL prevent ANY weld flash burn in the eyes.........

Those glasses with the rubber/foam seal around them are pretty much "out of phase" in my line of work now..some companys will require us to wear the type that has the foam seal just around the top side,to prevent grinding dust from fall off your hard hat or face sheild when you lift it up and the dust is setting on it....
The full rubber/foam seal type cause you to sweat in them,which hinders your vision,they fog up..and most of all,they give the worst tunnel vision..limiting your ability of vision around you...but again,they'd be fine if you prefer them and working by yourself in the garage/shop...personaly i HATE them...lol..they fog up too quick for my taste...the cheap goggles that are a tight seal and fit over your glasses are my choice when laying under something cutting and grinding but those foam/rubber seals would work just as well in that situation.

All in all..make sure they're a pair of well known brand and Z87.1 and try them out on your face first before buying them to see if they may fit too loose...and 1 type may be perfect 1 person,but not for others..everyone's face features are different.

1st picture is a few i grabbed out of our spare room where they end up when i bring them home at times,the lil lady of the house gets mad when i leave them layin around the house...lol

The ones on the left row are the Smith & Wessons i was talking about..GREAT glasses for most people,but again,for me,they fit too loose on my head,they provide a wide side protection.
The 1 in the center from front is the type i prefer..these paticular pair are made by Radnor,but sevral others have the same style/type and most of all,,these are about the cheapest to buy(anywhere from 1.50-5.00 a pair) and most effective....
The pair in the center row in the back are the ones i was talking about that has the foam/rubber seal just on the top side..
The others are just some random glasses i had laying in the house.........

Your best bet to buy a good pair and "trusted" would be a local welding supply store..such as Airgas..Praxair...etc...they thirve off of making sure they sell quality equipment or a big screw up just going cheap could cause them to go out of bussines from a liable lawsuite....

2nd pic is of the 2 type we generaly wear as being the most effective,and here is an example of different tpyes fit and wear different on on different people...My 2 buddy's Brian on the left,and randy on the right..Brian has the "blade" type and fits his face WELL..and Randy has the full wrap around,these guys can't wear the other's type because they fit their face different.....2 FINE Ironworkers who topped out as Journymen about a year ago............
safetyglasses.jpg   cooldownbreak.jpg  

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Anyone have a line on good safety glasses like the Bolle brand shown above, but with reading lenses on the lower part of the lenses? My old eyes can't see the stuff up close anymore without readers, and I'm already nearsighted so I have to wear contacts or glasses.
The one's i use when i feel the need are Made by Olympic...these are a new pair of 1.50's
cheaterglasses.jpg  

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

A good Online place to search through and see what kinds are out there..is SafetyGlasses.com..they have a wide variety of different brands and styles.

Never forget 9/11

Unread 06-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Wintermute
1967 FSJ Gladiator 

Yeah, been there done that with getting a piece of metal removed from my cornea. Luckily in my case, it had just barely started to rust (basically went straight to the ER) so they didn't have to scrape out too much of my cornea to completely remove it and the rust.

I happen to lean towards the tactical goggles that hug your face. Your preference on brand, I've used Wiley-X, Bolle, 5.11, and Oakley. Some brands designs fit my face a bit better than others and the same will be true for you.

Ohh...and welcome to the club!

--Wintermute
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

like ironworker said, get what fits your face.

as i mentioned, this is what i use both at home and at work. cheap at about $2 a pair and they fit me very nicely.

however, at work we are supplied with about 4-5 different types of glasses and we can choose what works best for us and i will say i am one of the few that uses the LAW glasses. most opt for the Wraparound style similar to the tinted ones in Ironworkers 2nd pic. but we have a few other styles as well. slowly but surely we are starting to be required to wear glasses at all times where i work at, as opposed to just doing specific jobs like grinding and drilling. now many production guys have to wear there when starting machines and doing their daily task.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.