Rusty frame - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rusty frame

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
kfactor

Rusty frame

We'll I just got my first jeep but need a lot if work I got so e rust holes in the frame do u guys just cut out the bad spot and reweld in new metal ? Or how should I go about this just want to fix it right

kfactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

It will depend on how bad the frame is overall. Sometimes buying a new frame is better. If you have the experience you can also make your own replacement frame.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

How are your welding skills?
Unread 07-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
kfactor

My welding skills are pretty good not to sure if there good enough to build a frame . I build trailers and stuff . I went over the whole frame last night and it seems like the worst part is the ends of the frame the front drivers and the rear are not to bad this is pretty much I think what I need http://www.jeep4x4center.com/auto-ru...-art-102l.html .
Unread 07-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
TJCrawling

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfactor View Post
My welding skills are pretty good not to sure if there good enough to build a frame . I build trailers and stuff . I went over the whole frame last night and it seems like the worst part is the ends of the frame the front drivers and the rear are not to bad this is pretty much I think what I need http://www.jeep4x4center.com/auto-ru...-art-102l.html .
Thats who I'm going through to repair my 99 TJ frame, heard nothing but good about them and how well the parts fit. Actually beefier than original from what Ive heard.
TJCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
kfactor

How hard is it to pull the body off the frame. I was think of pulling the body of and fixing the frame I think it would be easier then doing it with the body on
Unread 07-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
TJCrawling

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How hard is it to pull the body off the frame. I was think of pulling the body of and fixing the frame I think it would be easier then doing it with the body on
I thought about lifting the tub off and it doesnt look like a big problem, plenty of guys do it. Whats stopping me is the snowball effect that would take place and it would turn into a full blown frame off resto when I dont need another project.
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCrawling View Post
I thought about lifting the tub off and it doesnt look like a big problem, plenty of guys do it. Whats stopping me is the snowball effect that would take place and it would turn into a full blown frame off resto when I dont need another project.
This. Real thing, still working on my 'frame repair' I started April '13.
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
scramblered
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCrawling View Post
I am also a member of that club. Good luck, Dave
Unread 08-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #10
kfactor

I got the body off now and just wire wheeling the frame and need to fix the rear of the frame were the shackles are and the front driver side were the steering box is . I'm think of getting those auto rust frame pieces any one have any experience with those ? And what paint do u guys use to paint your frame after I was think Chassis saver?
Unread 08-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #11
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

I make my own frame parts as needed. As for paint a good chassis paint is all you need after a good prep. Make sure you treat the rust and get the inside of the frame as well or its a waste of time. The best way is to do a acid bath and zinc plating if you can afford it.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
TJCrawling

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I got the body off now and just wire wheeling the frame and need to fix the rear of the frame were the shackles are and the front driver side were the steering box is . I'm think of getting those auto rust frame pieces any one have any experience with those ? And what paint do u guys use to paint your frame after I was think Chassis saver?
Im doing my 04 right now to prevent what happened to the 99.
Im giving Eastwoods products a try, friend of mine that used to do some body work says there good. For the inside frame rails I blew out the loose stuff then flushed with water before using Eastwoods Internal Frame Coating, for the outside wire brushing followed by Rust Encapsulater and will top coat that with their Chassis Black.

If I was doing a frame off, acid dipping would be the way to go
Unread 08-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
kfactor

Thanks for the replys am going to try to make my rear frame pieces but going to order the front driver side frame part . Have any of u guys bilt the gas tank cross member and have pics of it I want to make a new one .
Unread 08-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the replys am going to try to make my rear frame pieces but going to order the front driver side frame part . Have any of u guys bilt the gas tank cross member and have pics of it I want to make a new one .
I did, it's in my build thread with pics.. both making the rear frame pieces and the gas tank crossmember.
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #15
kfactor

Thanks for the replys . Am going to start making my rear pieces of the frame for the sleeves through the frame what do u guys use .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.