A few weeks ago I decided to build an RTI ramp as a fun project, and to play with my welder, which desperately needs more use. I figured it'd be useful to check for binding/interference/bumpstops on the Jeep after I add goodies to it.
I decided to build a 30* ramp because I didn't want to make it huge, and heavily modified rigs and buggies go a long way on a 20* ramp. I wanted the ramp to be portable so it could be taken to events, shows, Crozet, etc. so I'm making it into a trailer. The actual face of the ramp will measure 110", and the height will be 55".
It started as some super professional CAD drawings, a harbor freight trailer, and some sticks of steel from RWF:
Tore the trailer down. Pretty much the only thing I'm using off of it will be the axle and the tongue that has the VIN plate stamped to it. Might reuse the lights and fenders if I'm feeling ambitious:
Professional fabrication shop:
Main face of the ramp and braces cut & positioned:
Putting the Hobart 140 to work:
Stood the ramp up and made the main support:
How the axle will be mounted: (High enough to clear the hubs, but low enough so that when there are tires on, it doesn't touch the road.)
That's as much as I felt like doing today. Still need to make the mid-brace and some other supports. I don't know how much bottle pressure you need for good solid core wire welds, (I'm down to about 700) but I was getting almost no penetration trying to tack things together. I switched over to flux-core and they stuck like glue. Looks like crap, but I might flux-core the whole thing.