Rolling 18g sheet without machinery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rolling 18g sheet without machinery

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Rolling 18g sheet without machinery

I've been wanting to open my rear wheel wells up more for a while now but I've never had to roll sheet metal before and can't afford/dont want to buy equipment to do it since this is about the only time I'll ever need to roll sheet metal.

There any decently easy way to roll it if it's cut into roughly 6" wide strips? I've got a forklift I can use and was thinking I could back over each end to at least curl it some. How easily manipulated is 18ga by hand if I tried to tack it in and force it over as I go?

Pics are from another members rigs but are exactly what I'll be dealing with.

This will be the gap I need to fill between the quarter panel and wheel well.

For now I've only got Saturdays to use our shop at work so I'd need to get it rolled and welded in in 8 hours to avoid having my wheel wells open for a week. I have another vehicle and can leave the Jeep at work if I need to til the next weekend but I'd like to avoid that.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I would think 18ga in 6" strips could be "formed" around anything round.. maybe a little help with a rubber mallet here and there.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Yeah don't need much to form 18Ga.

We did these out of 12ga by hand and with some clamps.

Unread 06-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Got some 22g from lowes for half off after complaining about it being dented and and stocked wrong lol

Definitely not worried about forming it now. Ill post up some pics tomorrow afternoon when I'm done.

$60 for the sheet, bondo, primer and bedliner. Can't best another 3'' of up travel for that. Esp on 2" of lift haha

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.