Roll Cage design - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-29-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
86cj7pete622
1986 CJ7 

Roll Cage design

Hey guys,

I have a CJ7 with the YJ family style roll bar. I'm looking to add addition bars that connect the dashboard to the current roll bar, and then 4 spreaders connecting the A-pillar to the family style main hoop (spreaders over the door and 2 more for the overhead console).

My question is which design is better: putting the loop around the windshield and then welding in the 4 spreaders; OR going from the YJ roll bar and heading to the windshield and down to the dashboard, and then adding a spreader between the two A-pillars and then 2 for the overhead console.

Any differences between the two designs? Benefits over one or the other? Any input would be great. It's a daily driver, with the occasional mild offroading, mainly looking for just a little more safety; and the ability for the overhead console.

Thanks, Pete.
86 CJ7 258, Nuttered, 4" BDS, 33".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-29-2017, 01:31 PM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Think it's mostly personal preference. Has more to do with material, welds, and triangulation.

92 YJ
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
post #3 of 5 Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 AM
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

I'm not sure I'm understanding the difference? Pictures/drawings are helpful in this situation

post #4 of 5 Old 07-19-2017, 07:02 PM
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

On my old CJ I ran my A pillar bars back to the B pillar , than connected the A pillar bars with a piece of tube by the windshield. My reason was lt would be easier for a solid A-B bar to slid over trees and whatnot.
My TJ will be getting a solid A-C bar with the B pillar bars dropped down in the stock location. And cross bars connecting A-A , B-B and C-C.
But yeah as Bobracing said alot of it is personal preference.

Sent from my phone using JeepForum

Yakima Valley Mountaineers.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-21-2017, 12:48 AM
choffroad

I prefer the second option, it might be dumb but I think of "what if it fails" and the a pillar being one piece from the floor back to the b pillar less 'stabby stabby' if the cage fails in a bad roll.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.