Rockers/Corners Material - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rockers/Corners Material

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 07-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rockers/Corners Material

Hello Fabricators,
Just looking for some advice on fabbing up some of the above items. Do most use plate steel to make these or angle iron? I'm new to welding but have a mentor to guide me through the process a bit. Also with this any advantage/disadvantage with using diamond plate versus regular plate? Right now I have the stock rockers that come on an LJ Rubicon and they leave a little to be desired. They seem to be pretty much dress up items. Trying to incorporate some fabbed step bars into this as well, if that would effect anything. I'd be using MIG wire to get all this done. Never done any TIG and I am horrible at stick welding. Doesn't have to be the prettiest thing at prom but it can't be looking like boot camp chow either. Any advice would be great.

kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have used angle iron, and plate steel.

This set, I made ~2 weeks ago for a friends TJ. They are 3/16" plate that I had bent in a press brake, and the tubes are bent to 45*.

The bottom has an integrated drop step that contours the tub for the TJ.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Joe,
I can't see them right now because I'm at work but it's good info. And hey whadaya know? You're right down the road from me !! Maybe I'll ask you to help me fab some stuff one of these days. or at least talk over some corner designs. Thanks again.
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruma View Post
Thanks Joe,
I can't see them right now because I'm at work but it's good info. And hey whadaya know? You're right down the road from me !! Maybe I'll ask you to help me fab some stuff one of these days. or at least talk over some corner designs. Thanks again.
You're welcome.

If you're near Fallbrook, I'm about 45 minutes drive away in Rancho San Diego, near Cuyamaca College.

Feel free to shoot me a PM & we can yack. I do fab work in my garage several days a week.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That looks great! 3/16 plate added to ideas.
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

both of mine are made are made of 3/16s plate. i used to have corners made of diamond plate and they held up fine but i dont like how they look.

i have a write up of my rockers in my sig and my corners are in my build. there are quite a few very clean rockers in here (fab forum) and ive seen it done very well with both angle iron and people with a nice big press break. but ive also seen it done not so well. just take your time and dont settle for "well im just not that good at fabricating" bc everyone is capable of doing clean work, the difference is how much time it takes. so biggest suggestion is be patient

and we look forward to the outcome!
cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
footinmouth47
1998 ZJ 

I know it isnt a wrangler but I did 3/16 diamond plate rockers on my zj and like the look of them I also have a diamond plate bumper. I need to add the steps but for now they work well.
Greg

Built not Bought member #247

SOLD:( new DD- 04 polaris sportsman
footinmouth47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.