Rocker/Steps Build Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rocker/Steps Build Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
ALRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rocker/Steps Build Questions

I bought my first Jeep a little over a month ago and it's time to try something homemade. You guys have inspired me to make rather than buy. My wife wants some steps and I would like a little protection. My father in law was a professional welder for years and is teaching me to weld. He has a great welder and a shop I'll be using.

So here are the materials I'm thinking I'll use.

2"x4" 3/16" thick -$110- This would go under the body for the step to attach to. I can buy 20' of this and have plenty left over for front and rear bumpers. I looked at going with 2x2 instead of 2x4 to reduce weight but I'm only coming up with a 20lb total difference (10lbs. per side) and I think it's worth buying the longer length to have for bumpers. I am going to cut them to extend from wheel well to wheel well.

1.75" OD pipe -$35- For the steps. I am thinking about getting 20' of this for a stinger, brush guard or light bar for the future bumpers.

2.5" wide channel for the mounting points. (maybe)

So here is the big question. How should I mount these?

Body or Frame? My initial thought was frame mounts but I'd rather not drill through or weld to the frame. Then I saw the Body Armor Rock Sliders and the design seems really simple and has an extra support point.

Any advice on this project is really appreciated. I'm open to anything....even scrapping this idea for something better. (I'm not ready to drill holes in the body yet though.)

Last edited by ALRubicon; 03-15-2010 at 10:20 PM..
ALRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
509media
1930 JK Wrangler 

I would weld them to the frame but most of what I have built over the years had a different intended use. Where in Alabama are you?

Dan
509media is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
ALRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Selma. I read somewhere that welding to the frame can weaken it. I assume if you weld it correctly there won't be any problem. I'm guessing you haven't had any problems.
Unread 03-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
ALRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty happy with the way things have gone so far. Still have a good bit to do but we've made some progress.
Here are a few pics as we build these. Sorry the quality is so poor.

30 degree cut on both sides.

Cleaned the ends up a little with a grinder. Need to pick up a flap wheel to really smooth things out.

We decided to do a pretty sharp angle...

We are TIG welding some of the welds with this welder and the rest will be with another similar welder that isn't portable.
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
ALRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got everything cut and put together and tack welded both sides. We decided to make them a little different than the ones I showed in the first post. The short support pieces were such a pain to make. We didn't have anything to notch them with so I used a portable band saw to cut a triangle out then grinded each to fit the pipe. It took awhile but it came out great.

Got the second one welded up today.

Tomorrow we will attach the mounts and prep for paint. Now it's time to search jeepforum for tips on paint and prep....
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

One word of caution: You are cutting your stuff over a pile of wood chips and saw dust.

That stuff can smolder for hours and catch fire at any time.

I would move your cut off saw outside or clean up that pile that's underneath it before you have a real problem on your hands during the middle of the night.

Unread 03-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
ALRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
One word of caution: You are cutting your stuff over a pile of wood chips and saw dust.

That stuff can smolder for hours and catch fire at any time.

I would move your cut off saw outside or clean up that pile that's underneath it before you have a real problem on your hands during the middle of the night.
Good call. Thanks for the heads up. I'll go check it just to make sure it's ok.
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
ALRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I went to get paint today and wow it's a lot more expensive than I thought it would be. I have about $75 in these steps right now which I'm pretty excited about. I plan on using some lacquer thinner, epoxy primer and some black paint the same color code as my jeep. The guy said I probably need two quarts at $36 per quart plus the thinner and primer will cost roughly $100. Oh well, I would probably have to paint them if I bought them too so I guess it would be the same either way.

Do you think I will need 2 quarts?
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think that some self etching primer (rustoleum spray can) and maybe 4-6 cans of rustoleum hammered black or whatever black color you want would be fine. thats 5-7 spray cans which should run you anywhere from $30-42. dont think youd need 2 quarts..
Jay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 04:41 AM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

1 quart should me more than enough,heck, i've painted whole vehicles with about a 1/2 gallon..but i use a $500.00+ SATA HVLP gun.
If you're jeep is black,i'd just do like Jay said,any black will match nice.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 05:19 AM   #11
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Your dad is TIG welding that????? NICEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Pics of the mounting system you came up with please?

I'm going to make a set for my YJ and I'd like to see what you came up with.

I wouldn't use laquer BTW. Just rattle can it like everyone else suggested. You might want to look into having it power coated. Around here, I could get it done for about $40.
Unread 03-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #13
ALRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Pics of the mounting system you came up with please?

I'm going to make a set for my YJ and I'd like to see what you came up with.

I wouldn't use laquer BTW. Just rattle can it like everyone else suggested. You might want to look into having it power coated. Around here, I could get it done for about $40.
I think we are going to copy the mounting system from the ones in the picture at the top of the page. Will the rattle can hold up an look as good as epoxy primer and spraying with a gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Your dad is TIG welding that????? NICEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep, he prefers to TIG weld and I don't mind not cleaning up after ARC welding. When I bought my jeep I spent a ton of time reading jeepforum and it was pretty clear that I was going to want to get a welder. I asked my father in law for advice about what to get and he said I can borrow either of his Miller welders anytime I want and that he will TIG anything I need. So he is Teaching me how to stick weld right now. Front bumper and rear bumper with swingout are up next.
Unread 03-31-2010, 07:56 AM   #14
ALRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
I think that some self etching primer (rustoleum spray can) and maybe 4-6 cans of rustoleum hammered black or whatever black color you want would be fine. thats 5-7 spray cans which should run you anywhere from $30-42. dont think youd need 2 quarts..
Sounds like less than half the cost and less work. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
1 quart should me more than enough,heck, i've painted whole vehicles with about a 1/2 gallon..but i use a $500.00+ SATA HVLP gun.
If you're jeep is black,i'd just do like Jay said,any black will match nice.
So having a really nice gun is more efficient? Or is it a combo of great gun and major skills? Is that how you used so little paint? I'm not sure how nice our gun is.

Thanks for chiming in.
Unread 03-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRubicon View Post
Sounds like less than half the cost and less work. Thanks for the advice.

So having a really nice gun is more efficient? Or is it a combo of great gun and major skills? Is that how you used so little paint? I'm not sure how nice our gun is.

Thanks for chiming in.
Having a high quality gun does help alot in waste,plus skills to lay it on with no drips and a flat shiny lay,but ...i also have an older HVLP i bought probably about 8 years or more ago from Walmart,a Cambell Hausfeld gravity feed HVLP 1.4mm tip i've used in the past on a few projects and i am IMPRESSED with it,think i payed 30.00 for it back then,and just seen at local Walmarts lately i think for around 40-45?..looks to be the same exact gun i have.
Even thought of buyin another one just to have around for spraying tractors,lawn mowers,trailers..etc just incase this older one goes on the blink on me and i'll have this for a backup.

If you use a rattle can paint,get a good primer too,i use Red Oxide primer on most steel projects,,sticks like glue and very durable and long lasting.
Any Epoxy primer is good stuff too,best to let it set about an hour or 2 and then put you're color right over it,so it chemicly bonds.
What ever color you use,even rattle can,get some clear coat for the final coat too,much easier to fix clear coat scratches later.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
homemade , rockers , sliders , steps

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.